Android Auto support

Kodijack

Kodijack

Hey!

I'd love to have support for AA. No need for bells'n'whistles. Just the ability to login and watch stuff. Dunno about the requirements or effort, but it

shouldn't be much of a thing.

PS: Love Emby!

Kodijack

Oh it is?! It's not available to choose in the launcher. Using it in the car's headunit. But also tried in the simulated one with the SDK. Not available to the launcher.

Edited by Kodijack

MBSki
Just now, Kodijack said:

Oh it is?! It's not available to choose in the launcher. Using it in the car's headunit. But also tried in the simulated one with the SDK. Not available to the launcher.

I use it on the phone, but it can only be opened with Google assistant. So, yell, "Hey Google, open driving mode!" From there you should be able to navigate to Emby assuming Google assistant responds. It doesn't respond half the time for me. Good luck! 😁 

Kodijack

That sounds weird, didn't even know of "driving mode". I put the phone in, and then it just works and i use the headunit from there on. But I will surely try that. The assistant usually works. It just never understands what i really want 🙂

• Haha 1

MBSki
Just now, Kodijack said:

That sounds weird, didn't even know of "driving mode".

Yea, I know. It's so dumb. Google deprecated part of Android Auto awhile ago for users on a phone vs head unit, and hid the function behind Google assistant. Now I'm reading that they're removing it from Google assistant too because no one uses it. 🤦‍♂️

It should work right away if you have a head unit that supports Android Auto. I don't, so I can't test.

Kodijack

Ouch, how stupid is that. Oh okay, we're talking of google 🙂

Heard of that the first time though, curious to try. Would be great to watch my stuff in the car when waiting.

Thanks for your help!

PS: Will reply here if it works or not, for anyone else who might search this and end up here.

Edited by Kodijack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kodijack said:

Would be great to watch my stuff in the car

Hi.  I do not believe Android Auto will allow video playback.

seanbuff
6 hours ago, MBSki said:

Now I'm reading that they're removing it from Google assistant too because no one uses it. 🤦‍♂️

I just realised that they shelved the 'Driving Mode' separate app that allowed the driver friendly dashboard this week.

But I have now found out that they have moved the functionality into the Google Maps app itself. So if you open Maps, and start navigation you will get the same row of easy access buttons
image.png.b06b9c368333bd9ac581a166c90d4990.png

And if you select the 'App Drawer' button (far right), it'll bring up the same familiar interface with access to Emby too 

image.png.cd7f9ab57686784a1e6d9a53422def5e.png

All accessible via the Maps app icon, so no need to use voice to open it. Just Google doing Google things 🤷🏽‍♂️

But yeah, as ebr says - Emby within this interface will only show you audio files from your server (no video)

MBSki
2 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

But I have now found out that they have moved the functionality into the Google Maps app itself. So if you open Maps, and start navigation you will get the same row of easy access buttons.

Thanks for the tip. This is such a dumb idea by Google though. Why do users need to start navigation just to get to Android Auto mode? Sometimes I just want to use it to listen to music.

seanbuff
1 minute ago, MBSki said:

Why do users need to start navigation just to get to Android Auto mode? Sometimes I just want to use it to listen to music.

Yeah agree, Driving Mode should be available at all times not just when navigation mode has started. But I guess their rationale is if someone is on foot, and opens the Maps app to just look up a venue, etc - they don't want to see those buttons taking up screen real estate -- and the irony is, that's why a separate 'Driving Mode' app was better in every way 🙃

MBSki
10 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

and the irony is, that's why a separate 'Driving Mode' app was better in every way 🙃

LOL, completely agree. 😅

Kodijack

So I tried it (on the simulated head unit) and after telling google to "enable driving-mode" it just...does. No confirmation, no nothing. The only difference is, that I can select emby in the launcher now.

Yet, I can only play music and three plugins (local tv). But I only use emby for visual media. Is that an AA restriction to playing visual stuff? Emby on my phone works fine though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodijack said:

Is that an AA restriction to playing visual stuff?

Yes.  The liability when people die watching movies while driving would be massive.

• 2 months later...
Derek Webb

From what I've read the AA api requires apps to be optimized for distraction so there are three modes.  Parked, idling, and driving.  Video is only restricted in the last two.  Emby SHOULD be able to add video functionality to parked cars.  I kind of wish they would.  But so far it doesn't seem to be something they are doing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 12:50 AM, Derek Webb said:

From what I've read the AA api requires apps to be optimized for distraction so there are three modes.  Parked, idling, and driving.  Video is only restricted in the last two.  Emby SHOULD be able to add video functionality to parked cars.  I kind of wish they would.  But so far it doesn't seem to be something they are doing.

I don't believe anything has changed regarding play store policies, so that's the big blocker. You've still got people resorting to things like this in order to do it: 

MajesticMaerlyn

Hi - perhaps we can look at a request for Android Automotive Services - this is very different from Android Auto - it supports video playback when stationary, as it is not a mirroring service but full blown Android running in the headunit. For example, Polestar range of cars

https://source.android.com/docs/devices/automotive/start/what_automotive

Should I create a new Feature Request for this?

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 1:36 PM, MajesticMaerlyn said:

Hi - perhaps we can look at a request for Android Automotive Services - this is very different from Android Auto - it supports video playback when stationary, as it is not a mirroring service but full blown Android running in the headunit. For example, Polestar range of cars

https://source.android.com/docs/devices/automotive/start/what_automotive

Should I create a new Feature Request for this?

Cheers

Hi, yes Android Automotive is also something to look into. Thanks.

• 6 months later...
MikeyMan

Would it be an option to just play the audio track for video files?

I've got a lot of concert videos. Would be great if I could play them.

22 hours ago, MikeyMan said:

Would it be an option to just play the audio track for video files?

I've got a lot of concert videos. Would be great if I could play them.

Hi, yes this is an idea that has come up before and is certainly possible.