Most Recent Movie Files Are Not Detected

StetsonSnead

StetsonSnead

Hello,

I added a few files from DVDs and Blu-rays recently. Created .mkv file with MakeMKV, saved the file in a folder with the movie's title, and moved the folder into my Movies folder. Did this for several movies, and all but the last two are appearing in my library. The last two copied are not showing up at all, when I manually scan for new files it doesn't detect them. The folders are there, and the files open and play correctly with VLC, but Emby doesn't seem to see them at all. I don't know what's different about them compared to the six movies copied the same day, which are showing up just fine. Any ideas what happened and how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

Q-Droid

More often than not the problem comes from file and folder permissions or naming convention.

If you are ripping movies (or downloading files) the Auto Organize plug-in is very handy in that you can just dump the files into staging folders and the media will be identified and moved to your library using standard names and access. Sometimes you have to help it though the results are reliable.

StetsonSnead

I'll add the plugin, that sounds helpful. But usually when the name is not recognized it shows up as "title.mkv" without metadata, but visible. Then I play with the file name until it recognizes it. In this case, nothing is showing up at all. What folder permissions would I need to change?

Q-Droid

The emby runtime process owner, usually emby, needs to be able to access the full path to the media. Meaning every directory from / (root) to where the media files are. This can be achieved with permissions, ownership (user and/or group) or a combination of both.

If the media is visible but not identified you can do it manually from the 3-dot menu for the item.

This is a longish thread but has pretty much all of the info needed for getting permissions right.

StetsonSnead

@LukeTitles are the default that MakeMKV names them. The two that aren't being detected are "BLACK_BEAUTY" and "300," without the quotes. Based on prior experience with things being misidentified, I usually add the year if needed. So they'd become "BLACK_BEAUTY (1994)" and "300 (2006)." Both, along with the rest of my movies, are in a folder called Movies. My library is /Media Vault/Movies/Movie Title

StetsonSnead

@Q-Droidwithin Emby, the media is not visible. It is visible in my file directory. Using the ls -l command from that post, the two which are not visible are both "drwx," the same as the rest of the folders in the library.*

*Maybe a stupidish question, but the command was run and files are accessed from laptop, but the files are actually on UnRAID server on local network, would that affect permissions seen?

Q-Droid
1 hour ago, StetsonSnead said:

@Q-Droidwithin Emby, the media is not visible. It is visible in my file directory. Using the ls -l command from that post, the two which are not visible are both "drwx," the same as the rest of the folders in the library.*

*Maybe a stupidish question, but the command was run and files are accessed from laptop, but the files are actually on UnRAID server on local network, would that affect permissions seen?

Yes it can. You are connecting to the storage share, likely SMB, as some user that's unlikely to be the same as the Emby runtime user.

Most NAS solutions like Unraid have access management options that let you grant default access on shares to users and/or groups, often via ACLs. I don't know the actual menus or navigation for this in unraid but it shouldn't be hard to find. What you want to do is make sure the user/UID or group/GID that is running the Emby container has access given to your /Media Vault, recursively and persistently. This way the Emby server will automatically have access to the media/files/folders you create from your laptop, or from anywhere for that matter.

Trying to atomically find and change the ownership and permissions for each of your media paths could end up conflicting with what unraid wants for those shares/volumes and likely get reversed at some point. It's better and more reliable to use the built-in tools.

Edit: meant UID not PID

Edited by Q-Droid

StetsonSnead

Well, I haven't quite figured out how to check file permissions from within UnRAID. Everything I can find seems to be allowed, and I can't see what is different about the most recent folders that makes them different from the ones already there...but I did add Auto Organize and removed and re-added the two folders that weren't detected...and now one of them is showing up just fine. The other one still isn't though.

Q-Droid

On a typical Linux system it's a matter of getting ownership and permissions right. But with NAS software like Unraid you need to figure out their way of doing it. Not because it's all that different or special but because things you change manually may not stay that way. Might need to change the security on the share or the user running emby or the Unraid user who owns the files you create from the laptop. Once you get that sorted out then it should work going forward without having to muck with it every time you add media.