Video Enhancer AI

Guest phoenixexcinere

Guest phoenixexcinere

I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with Video Enhancer. So DVDFab Video Enhancer AI or Topaz?

I have in my collection some DVD-only and SD-only series and I'm wondering if it's worth upscaling them with a video AI, at least to 720p.

However, I can't just try it out, because DVDFab probably requires an NVidia graphics card, which I don't own and Topaz costs just 200€. So definitely too expensive to test.

Maybe someone has experience in this area and can say whether it's worth it or not.

(translated with google 🙈 )

kikinjo

Hi, why upscale collection when u can watch it up-scaled ? Buy a Nvidia shield pro and everything u watch will be Ai upscaled to 4K.

Save time :)

Guest phoenixexcinere

I knew the suggestion would come with the Shield :)
But unfortunately that's not a solution for me, since I mostly watch the series via the browser while I'm doing other things on the PC. That's why a shield to look at is unfortunately out of the question for me. Otherwise it's a very good solution

sydlexius
On 11/23/2022 at 9:55 AM, phoenixexcinere said:

I knew the suggestion would come with the Shield :)
But unfortunately that's not a solution for me, since I mostly watch the series via the browser while I'm doing other things on the PC. That's why a shield to look at is unfortunately out of the question for me. Otherwise it's a very good solution

I remember the good old days ofwhen I was running HTPCs that used a combination of MPC-HC + MadVR to play back (and keep track of progress) to do what you're asking.  I'm not sure what their modern equivalents are, and I'm fairly certain that progress syncing with MPC-HC/MPC-BE no longer work.

Guest phoenixexcinere

In case someone has a similar project, here is my experience:
I tried DVDFab Video AI with a colleague. My colleague has an NVidia 3080ti and we had a 20-minute SD video for testing.
The extrapolation of the video from SD to Full HD took 6.5 hours and the graphics card ran under full load the whole time.

The size of the video has increased from 200MB to 4GB, but the quality hasn't improved at first glance and if it has, then only extremely slightly.

But there were frame drops without end.

We'll try Topaz when we get a chance, there's a test version of it, but I'm not expecting much better results from it either.

I just hope that Emby will eventually support upsclaing, because FFmpeg is quite capable of that.

nitrogen

I'm using TOPAZ for old movies. Depending on the filter you use and the source , you get really nice quality.

The videosize (source DVD 4.5 GB) will go up to 12-15 GB for a 1080 in a hq-encode. Audio you have to remux, because the TOPAZ will only use AAC at 96 bit