Another no external connection thing

arrbee99

seanbuff
9 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

caddy : The term 'caddy' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program.

Did you rename the exe to caddy.exe ?

arrbee99

I did. Seems I should have said caddy.exe run.

Now its doing something. Don't know what, but something.

arrbee99

D'you know if the order matters - i.e. getting caddy to do something then forwarding 80 and 443 ?

seanbuff
12 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

PS C:\Users\schoo> cd c:\caddy
PS C:\caddy> caddy run

Looks like you're trying to run it from PowerShell, try running it from Command Prompt

Go to the folder with caddy in it, type 'cmd' in the address bar, it should open a command prompt (black window) in that folder

image.png.27a47b0b113d1da94c68ca50f1d40257.png

Try running 'caddy run' again

arrbee99

Well I used search in Windows for cmd and ran that, so should be OK ?

Yep the tab its running in says Command Prompt.

seanbuff

If you're going to use Powershell, your command needs to be:

.\caddy run

3 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

then forwarding 80 and 443

Did you do this already as per the other thread?

seanbuff
2 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Have done the forwarding now. After starting caddy.

Make sure you restart Caddy then, it will need those ports open to be able to do its thing

arrbee99

Just closed the cmd box, reopened and ran it again. Seems OK. but no idea if its truly really blocking everything it should.

arrbee99

I'll have to wait till tonight to try testing from outside of home network.

Mind you, maybe I can have Emby on my Amazon Echo now...

rbjtech
9 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

I hope so. If I can bugger it up, I will. Would there be a way to check if I've done things properly, like using CanYouSeeMe.org  or similar ?

If using an RP (ideally on HTTPS/TCP443) then Yes - use an online tester such as ssllabs.com and analyse your site.  

It will give you a grade and advise where there are issues and potentially how to correct/improve them.

I'm currently on A+ from ssllabs, but it's taken a bit of work to get there .. 🤪

arrbee99

Thanks. I'll have a go.

Am currently trying to test someone of the kids who's trying the remote login, but getting nowhere.

Oh well, early days and such a fiddle communicating.

arrbee99

Son was trying to access remotely using Theater and in a browser. Says after typing media.mydomain.net (our proper name, not that example), he gets asked for username and password, but gets told they are wrong, but he used them, and I used them, to log into the Emby website no problems.

Any thoughts maybe ?

Should I start a new thread ?

rbjtech
44 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Son was trying to access remotely using Theater and in a browser. Says after typing media.mydomain.net (our proper name, not that example), he gets asked for username and password, but gets told they are wrong, but he used them, and I used them, to log into the Emby website no problems.

Any thoughts maybe ?

Should I start a new thread ?

Ensure the Theater config is using the full url - ie https://media.mydomain.net 

Port will be 443

If a browser works ok, then it is 100% the App config - WAN connectivity is good.

Edited by rbjtech

arrbee99

Thanks. I'll ask him to do the full url.

Will also check his user settings in the dashboard here, you never know.

don't think the browser worked either though.

Will have to wait all day to try I guess..

Edited by arrbee99

arrbee99

Norton says I've had 8 intrusion events since firing this up, zero before. I guess they were stopped in the router before.

Am I bypassing router firewalls ? Should I worry ?

pwhodges

(1) Norton is reporting, and will therefore have stopped them; it is also acting as a firewall..

(2) What is Norton saying about them?  I imagine there is more description than simply "an intrusion event".

Paul

arrbee99

They're pretty much all 'An intrusion event by (pick an ip address) was blocked'.

So yes they're blocked. I just wonder about my router doing less than it used to (apparently).

Q-Droid
1 hour ago, arrbee99 said:

They're pretty much all 'An intrusion event by (pick an ip address) was blocked'.

So yes they're blocked. I just wonder about my router doing less than it used to (apparently).

My guess is you're seeing the difference between allowing relatively obscure ports (8096/8920) vs allowing standard http ports (80/443). There will be more scan hits on the latter.

arrbee99

Sounds reasonable.

But would anyone definitively know, is my router firewall still being used or is it being bypassed ?

seanbuff
38 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

is my router firewall still being used or is it being bypassed ?

Your router firewall should still be active, but you've just asked it to open two very well known ports