Stopping a video and switching refresh rate locks up Shield TV

dougw03
Go to solution Solved by dougw03,

dougw03

I am using a Samsung TV, Denon S760h receiver and an NVIDIA Shield TV 2019 with latest Emby app. When I stop a video that has a non-standard refresh rate, my TV takes a few seconds to switch rates and return back to Android TV/Emby. During this transition time, if I happen to press another key on the Nvidia remote then Android TV locks up and my TV says no input signal. I have to unplug my shield TV and manually reboot to get things working again. I'm not sure if this is an Android TV issue or an app issue, but this is problematic since other viewers in my household don't know what is happening when the Samsung screen comes on to change rates and so they start button jamming to try to get things working again and everything locks up.

dougw03
On 11/19/2022 at 8:28 PM, Luke said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Hi @Luke, sideloading is tedious but I will try this soon. I did a bit more investigating and it seems the issue is actually just extremely slow responsiveness from the Emby app (or more likely the video player running behind the scenes). I initially thought that the Emby app was completely locked up, but upon further investigation it seems that it can take up to ~30 seconds to exit the video and return to Emby. Is this a known issue and does it still make sense to try sideloading the standard android app?

On 11/27/2022 at 11:46 AM, dougw03 said:

Hi @Luke, sideloading is tedious but I will try this soon. I did a bit more investigating and it seems the issue is actually just extremely slow responsiveness from the Emby app (or more likely the video player running behind the scenes). I initially thought that the Emby app was completely locked up, but upon further investigation it seems that it can take up to ~30 seconds to exit the video and return to Emby. Is this a known issue and does it still make sense to try sideloading the standard android app?

Hi @dougw03 were you able to try it? Yes it does still make sense to give it a shot. Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
dougw03
On 11/29/2022 at 10:55 PM, Luke said:

Hi @dougw03 were you able to try it? Yes it does still make sense to give it a shot. Thanks !

Hi Luke,

So I didn't get around to sideloading, but I did want to report back that I increased the RAM and added an SSD cache to my NAS and the problem seems to have remedied itself. I can't say for sure that was the culprit, but adding RAM has definitely made my NAS much snappier and a worthwhile upgrade. I'll keep you guys posted if this happens again, but for now I'll mark this as solved. Thanks 

• Thanks 1