Movie Versions (Again)

DonMilne

DonMilne

I have searched the site and found other discussions about this, but have not found them helpful, e.g. they say there is no problem if you get the naming right, but I do not find that to be the case. Are there additional rules for the Synology Server version?

Specific example: I currently have two versions of "Doctor Sleep".

Doctor Sleep (2019)
  Doctor Sleep (2019) - Theatrical Cut 4K.mp4
  Doctor Sleep (2019) - Theatrical Cut 1080p.mp4

Obviously I expect the versions to show as "Theatrical Cut 4K" and "Theatrical Cut 1080p".  But when I view this with my Emby clients (web viewer and LG TV), the versions are simply listed as "4K" and "1080p".   I originally had (brackets) around the resolution and the versions showed as "(4K)" and "(1080p)" - I thought the brackets might be the problem but removing them did not help. What I think is really going on is that the code is discarding the common prefix of both names, which is NOT how the wiki describes the naming rules.

The reason for my verbose naming btw is that I have another version that I intend to add: "Doctor Sleep (2019) - Directors Cut 1080p.mp4".  I'm hoping that once the files no longer have a long common prefix, the naming rules will then work per the docs, but I feel they should be working per the docs regardless!  So I'm thinking there's a bad assumption in the code, that the folder name and the common prefix are the same thing.

Edited by DonMilne

GrimReaper

Rename to:

Doctor Sleep (2019)
  Doctor Sleep (2019) - 4K Theatrical Cut.mp4
  Doctor Sleep (2019) - 1080p Theatrical Cut.mp4

or similar, as Emby will dump all the same characters until first different character in the filename, in your case until 4(K)/1(080p); several topics around forum regarding that.

Edit: If you add third version:

Doctor Sleep (2019) - Directors Cut 1080p.mp4

they should display properly even without renaming first two versions as first letter after space-dash-space there is D so there's no common denominator(s).

Edited by GrimReaper
Append

DonMilne

I didn't find anything in other forums confirming my supposition, and I also don't understand why the knowledgebase does not mention it.

Btw, thanks for the quick reply - and confirming that I didn't get it wrong somehow.

Edited by DonMilne

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, DonMilne said:

and I also don't understand why the knowledgebase does not mention it.

It does mention different cuts usage, as it is primarily designed to be used with different quality versions:

Also, this feature is primarily designed for multiple qualities of the same item.  It can be used for different "cuts" but there may be some limitations in doing that.

DonMilne

Yes, I read that, but since the description didn't go into details I didn't understand what the undefined "limitions" were: or why there needed to be any limitations. ISTM the code ought to be quite simple: the longest common prefix idea can still be used, but the containing folder name should be included in the set.  Then it should match the docs, and vague caveats in the docs can be removed.

GrimReaper
Just now, DonMilne said:

ISTM the code ought to be quite simple: the longest common prefix idea can still be used, but the containing folder name should be included in the set.  Then it should match the docs, and vague caveats in the docs can be removed.

Yup, getting there slowly. :)