Can't access Emby after internet ugprade...

FormulaFox
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

FormulaFox

So, yesterday I switched from cable to fiber Internet, and all of a sudden I cannot access Emby. I can access my library locally through my browser, but I cannot access it through any other device.

Now, I know I have to do some work to get remote access to work because I use a VPN, but even with the VPN off I can't access anything, and more importantly, I can't even access anything on a device connected to the same wifi network. I've made sure the ports are open in my firewall and forwarded on my router, but nothing get through. I can't figure out what the issue is. Even entering the server address manually does not work.

I have no idea where to go form here.

Happy2Play

Is Emby Dashboard is showing the correct External address?  

Does canyouseeme.org same address and Emby port open?

FormulaFox

I was about to just reply "yes, tried that earlier and was visible." In the spirit of due diligence, I doublechecked. The external IP address the Emby dashboard is showing is one digit off what canyouseeme is reporting - fixing it to the canyouseeme address has given me remote access successfully.

This is with my VPN off, of course, and I still cannot access it from the same wifi network, however. The IP showing for internal network access is showing the same on Emby dashboard as it is in Windows.

Happy2Play

@FormulaFox So you are saying no client/app can connect on your LAN also?  If so, this suggests a Firewall issue.  What platform are you running Emby on?

FormulaFox
Just now, Happy2Play said:

@FormulaFox So you are saying no client/app can connect on your LAN also?  If so, this suggests a Firewall issue.  What platform are you running Emby on?

I'm running Emby on Windows 10. The firewall is set to allow Emby through(and open up ports 8096 and 8920) and up until the internet service change everything was running fine. I DID have to change wifi routers for this, which is why the first thing I did was forward the ports, but I previously hadn't needed to do any port forwarding anyway.

I've got the VPN matter sorted so I've got connection from behind it - turns out I just had to turn off and on the setting to let it through.

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, FormulaFox said:

I DID have to change wifi routers for this, which is why the first thing I did was forward the ports, but I previously hadn't needed to do any port forwarding anyway.

This suggests Automatic Port Mapping no longer working or playing nicely with new router.  But would only apply to Remote connections.

What embyserver.exe firewall rules do you have?  Are there any deny?  Also verify connection type Private vs Public on system and Emby firewall rules.

example in this topic

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/113845-roku-cannot-connect-to-my-server

FormulaFox
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

This suggests Automatic Port Mapping no longer working or playing nicely with new router.

Even though that should only be related to remote connections, there may be something there - I actually can't even find the Automatic Port Mapping option in my Network settings.

I've attached a screenshot of all my firewall rule entries for Emby(most of what you see was done automatically when installed).

firewallrules.png

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, FormulaFox said:

Even though that should only be related to remote connections, there may be something there - I actually can't even find the Automatic Port Mapping option in my Network settings.

Do you have the plugin installed?  If not it will not appear on Networks page.

Rules look correct, does the Host show you are on a Private network? Windows key and type Network Status

If shows Private have you restarted the machine?

Other than that, only other thing I can think of would be deleting embyserver rules (not port rules), shut down Emby and go to C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\config\system.xml and set <IsPortAuthorized> to false save and start Emb.

FormulaFox

I do have the Plugin installed, but the option does not appear.

Showing as being on a Private network - rebooted system but no discernible effect.

Following instructions at bottom netted no change in activity. Still cannot access when connected to the same network.

FormulaFox

Regarding the port mapping plugin - maybe I DON'T have it installed? I assumed I did because it wasn't showing up in the available plugin options, but I just noticed the DLNA plugin, which I most definitely DO have installed, is still shown there.

Edited by FormulaFox

FormulaFox

I've got a workaround for the moment - I've got a 2.4GHz wifi network, and a 5GHz wifi network. Server is on the 5GHz, and putting the playback device in the 2.4 network it works fine, operating as if it's remote access.

And this brings up a question: Is the fact that the server on wifi something that would affect things? I previously had it on direct Ethernet connection, and I plan to go back to that but need to thread a cable through first since we had to put the modem in a different spot. This difference did not cross my mind until now.

1 hour ago, FormulaFox said:

I've got a workaround for the moment - I've got a 2.4GHz wifi network, and a 5GHz wifi network. Server is on the 5GHz, and putting the playback device in the 2.4 network it works fine, operating as if it's remote access.

And this brings up a question: Is the fact that the server on wifi something that would affect things? I previously had it on direct Ethernet connection, and I plan to go back to that but need to thread a cable through first since we had to put the modem in a different spot. This difference did not cross my mind until now.

That's interesting, thanks for the update.

visproduction

I think if the TV is on a different network and you are using the remote IP address to send media from server to the TV, you are using outgoing and incoming bandwidth to the host router and back and this is not ideal.  It also uses up your bandwidth and slows down everything else that is using Internet access.  It's probably worth trying to get the TV on the 5Ghz network instead so you can cast media locally to the TV.  Yes, on plugging in directly to the Ethernet make sense, so any playback is not hogging Wifi bandwidth from any one else who wants to use it in your location.

FormulaFox
38 minutes ago, visproduction said:

I think if the TV is on a different network and you are using the remote IP address to send media from server to the TV, you are using outgoing and incoming bandwidth to the host router and back and this is not ideal.  It also uses up your bandwidth and slows down everything else that is using Internet access.  It's probably worth trying to get the TV on the 5Ghz network instead so you can cast media locally to the TV.  Yes, on plugging in directly to the Ethernet make sense, so any playback is not hogging Wifi bandwidth from any one else who wants to use it in your location.

I know this much, which is why I call it a workaround - it is absolutely not ideal. My upgrade was from 100-megabit cable to Gigabit fiber(and wifi connections are getting 200-400 megabit depending on distance from the router), so bandwidth on the workaround is not likely to be an issue.

Once I get my Ethernet threaded through I hope to get this worked out properly, but for the time being things will be fine. I stream to a Chromecast and actually do intend to get an Ethernet adapter for it as well.

FormulaFox

Okay, so, for some reason my workaround doesn't work on my Android tablet. It can't find the server no matter what I enter. It asks me to sign in every time I open the app and can't connect to the IP address that the server dashboard says to use.

Edited by FormulaFox

On 11/18/2022 at 10:02 PM, FormulaFox said:

Regarding the port mapping plugin - maybe I DON'T have it installed? I assumed I did because it wasn't showing up in the available plugin options, but I just noticed the DLNA plugin, which I most definitely DO have installed, is still shown there.

You may have uninstalled it at some point because you thought you didn't need it. You can add it back from the Emby plugin catalog. Have you done that?

It asks me to sign in every time I open the app and can't connect to the IP address that the server dashboard says to use.

Are you sure the IP address is correct? The server is displaying what it thinks is your remote IP, which for the vast majority of people should be correct, but occasionally some that have more complex network setups might be an exception.

You should know your IP, or at least, know how to get it, so I would do that. Is the value displayed on the server dashboard correct?

FormulaFox
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you sure the IP address is correct? The server is displaying what it thinks is your remote IP, which for the vast majority of people should be correct, but occasionally some that have more complex network setups might be an exception.

You should know your IP, or at least, know how to get it, so I would do that. Is the value displayed on the server dashboard correct?

Hokay, so... For the sake of due diligence I tested one more time before checking, and this time it connected - so for some reason the connection just wasn't being made before. The Emby dashboard IP IS matching the public IP.

FormulaFox
2 hours ago, Luke said:

You may have uninstalled it at some point because you thought you didn't need it. You can add it back from the Emby plugin catalog. Have you done that?

It is not showing up in the plugins catalog.

FormulaFox

Okay, noticing that Port Mapper is not appearing in the catalog led me to one simple conclusion: Something has gotten borked in the my copy of the program. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Emby Server. I found and installed Port Mapper immediately upon doing so. I do not know if Automatic Port Mapping has affected the matter or not - I am able to connect without the workaround whether it is on or off. It could just be that whatever borked my installation was the root cause.

My guess is something glitched during an auto-update and the new internet triggered it. Perhaps it was updating when I switched the internet and that did it. But it all seems to be working right now.

Now to rebuild my Media library.

Edited by FormulaFox

8 hours ago, FormulaFox said:

Okay, noticing that Port Mapper is not appearing in the catalog led me to one simple conclusion: Something has gotten borked in the my copy of the program. So I uninstalled and reinstalled Emby Server. I found and installed Port Mapper immediately upon doing so. I do not know if Automatic Port Mapping has affected the matter or not - I am able to connect without the workaround whether it is on or off. It could just be that whatever borked my installation was the root cause.

My guess is something glitched during an auto-update and the new internet triggered it. Perhaps it was updating when I switched the internet and that did it. But it all seems to be working right now.

Now to rebuild my Media library.

Hi, where were you looking for it? it's in the catalog, in the general section.

FormulaFox
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, where were you looking for it? it's in the catalog, in the general section.

General section was where I looked since no category seemed to be more specific. After I reinstalled the program the number of plugins appearing in the catalog seemingly tripled in ALL categories, so a LOT of them weren't showing due to the error.

FormulaFox
9 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Are you sure you didn't mistake the installed list for the catalogue list?

Paul

100% definitely did NOT make that error. The "catalog" section was highlighted and included tons of plugins I do not care about and did not(and still do not) have installed.