"Failed Login Attempt From Administrator"

gcoupe

I'm seeing about 50 of these messages in the Recent Activity list in the Dashboard over the past couple of days. They all come from the same external IP address - which turns out to be my public IP address.

What's going on here - I only ever access (knowingly) my MB3 server from clients running on my home (internal) network...

This seems to have started since installing Version 3.0.5395.0 of the server.

Is "Administrator" an actual user on your server?

It may just be someone/thing that discovered your external IP address and is trying to crack in.

Is "Administrator" an actual user on your server?

It may just be someone/thing that discovered your external IP address and is trying to crack in.

Yes, "Administrator" is, er, the administration account...

Deathsquirrel

If you don't connect to MB from outside the network, close the port on your firewall.

If you want the port open, I suggest creating a new administrator account with a less predictable name, and setting it to not display on the login screen.  The names on the login screen should not have admin access.

Well, I suspect that the port is already closed, since, following a complete reinstall of the MB3 server last week, the Administrator account (in MB3) was not password protected at the time. The fact that the login attempts were failing points to the fact that the firewall was shielding attempts from the internet, does it not?

I've now turned on password protection in MB3 (whilst continuing to not require it for local network access).

Well, I suspect that the port is already closed, since, following a complete reinstall of the MB3 server last week, the Administrator account (in MB3) was not password protected at the time. The fact that the login attempts were failing points to the fact that the firewall was shielding attempts from the internet, does it not?

I've now turned on password protection in MB3 (whilst continuing to not require it for local network access).

You can remove the password on your local network

5XjfID9.png

That's what I meant by "whilst continuing to not require it for local network access" - I checked that box...

Sorry for that, It's maybe to early for me.... :)

Just FYI - the port would have had to be open and routed properly or the message never would have been in the server.  So, best to be sure that password is there.

Just FYI - the port would have had to be open and routed properly or the message never would have been in the server.  So, best to be sure that password is there.

So, then why did the login attempt fail? If it was not password protected, surely the login would have succeeded?

No because we now have stricter security than just a password.  The client being used to try and log in has to be authorized as well.