Recently having to go through lengthy log in process every time

SDHoover

SDHoover

For some reason now every time I open up Emby on my Roku Smart TV I have to log in, GO to a website to enter my log in credentials, And the code. Then I have to enter my Server IP and Port. Then I have to (USING A DAMN DIRECTIONAL PAD) Enter in my user ID and long password AGAIN using a  directional pad. taking 46 minutes to access my damn emby server to just watch a 30-minute show......... WHY? Every time I open up Emby. 

Hi there, is the Roku on the same local network as the server? Is the server started and running when you open the Emby Roku app?

pwhodges

I have a Roku TV and don't recognise this behaviour.

What website do you have to go to?

Have you checked in the Emby client settings the one that tells it to remember the last user?

Paul

Happy2Play

Only time I get the Pin screen is when my server is actually off do to system Restart for updates.  But am setup locally with no password on LAN User setting.

• 2 weeks later...
frankmb
On 11/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, SDHoover said:

For some reason now every time I open up Emby on my Roku Smart TV I have to log in, GO to a website to enter my log in credentials, And the code. Then I have to enter my Server IP and Port. Then I have to (USING A DAMN DIRECTIONAL PAD) Enter in my user ID and long password AGAIN using a  directional pad. taking 46 minutes to access my damn emby server to just watch a 30-minute show......... WHY? Every time I open up Emby. 

This happened to me about a year ago. I tried a whole bunch of things with the server to try to fix this and nothing worked. The solution was to reboot the Roku TV! So it looked like some sort of Roku bug that can only be resolved with a reboot. 

SDHoover

@frankmb I've restarted the TV, power cycled it multiple times. I've uninstalled then reinstalled the app multiple times. I've power cycled my network, server. etc. Still every time on my Roku TV I have to sign into my emby account, Then manually enter my server address and port, Then sign into my server even though I've removed the password. Back in the day when Emby worked as it should I would just have to go to the https://emby.media/pin and sign into my account, and enter the PIN that's on the TV and magically it would log me into my Emby server and display my library. That was it. It worked. Now it's doing this on my Roku TV, and on my Amazon firestick. I can log on through the browser on any device with no issues. (Computer, tablets, phones etc. I've even uninstalled Emby on my firestick and reinstalled it. Same thing. 

Edited by SDHoover

SDHoover

@Luke Yes they're on the same network. As stated above I've uninstalled the app on my Roku TV, and reinstalled it. Same thing. Every time I turn TV off for a while, I must go through the same BS. Servers been added to my Emby connect account and before I'd just have to go to the https://emby.media/pin site and sign in and it would sync showing my library.  and it would persist without having to sign in. I've power cycled everything and have no issues on browsers. Only the app on my Roku TV and after posting the issue on here I noticed my firestick was having same issues having to sign in through the https://emby.media/pin site, Then having to manually enter my server address/port, Then having to log into the server even though I removed the password from my profile so locally I'm supposed to be able to access without password and removed the password but still having to enter it through app. This is REALLY getting on my nerves. especially now as I'm trying to work on other software issues and decided to try and relax and enjoy a show for some back ground noise and suddenly my blood pressure goes up when trying to simply watch my media is a job in itself just to stream my media locally through a media streaming software.  You know that meeme about " you had one job"  well that applies here. and tired of dealing with this. Everything is updated, TV firmware, Firestick, Firewall, Server, apps.  So Give me some good news quick or I'm just going to start searching for something that actually works. 

Edited by SDHoover

2 hours ago, SDHoover said:

Yes they're on the same network

Hi.  If on the same network you should not need (or really want) to use Connect (the PIN).  Instead, the server should be discovered automatically and presented to you.  if this isn't happening, then something has changed on the network that is preventing it.

When it asks you to do the PIN process, instead choose the "Skip and enter manually" button and enter the local IP address of your server machine.  Then login that way and go to settings and ensure that you have "Remember Me" turned on.

Then let us know how that works.

SDHoover

@ebr well what should be, isn't always the case especially when things go wrong, and software doesn't do what it's intended to do. Frequently due to pushed software updates that haven't been thoroughly tested, overconfident programmers, Companies more concerned with deadlines than the quality of their products or customer experience. No changes have been made to my network. Networking (IT) is what I do for a living since 2010 as a career, many years before that as a hobbie. This started as I was experiencing issues with Emby trying to watch new media. I had added some new episodes, Emby did a complete library scan but didn't want to make the new media I was trying to watch available or show that it was detected in my library. Another issue I have in another thread. But while I was troubleshooting that issue, I seen Emby server had an available update. and my plex server had no issues detecting the new media on my NAS. So, while watching the shows Emby couldn't detect in my library on Plex that had no issues. I updated the Emby server and power cycled the host machine, which is when all these login issues occurred. Therefore, the only changes were an Emby Server update. The Pin method is the most reasonable and efficient method to connect when dealing with an app, smart device, anything that limits you to a directional pad to try to log in. Where you can go to a website on phone, tablet, etc. and go to website and log in to site with convenience of complete alphabet vs. directional pad and enter pin to sync the two devices. Having the Emby connect option where it'll show the associated server to that account is supposed to show up. Pretty efficient method in comparison to using a directional pad (When it works as intended). So don't try to project your personal preferences onto others regarding how they should go about doing things based on your personal preferences. That and the fact that you're making assumptions instead of asking questions.... Not how techs who know what they're doing go about troubleshooting. So, you may want to try and avoid telling people how they should do things, make fewer assumptions, and ask more questions. As you've lost my confidence in any ability you may have regarding troubleshooting in your first sentence. The Remember me is and has been turned on but obviously not working with apps across multiple devices at this time after updating server. Typically when assisting someone with troubleshooting you do want to "ASK" what changes have been made as when things quit working it is frequently do to a change of some sort. BUT DONT ASSUME WHAT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE. Dont worry, I understand. You probably help many people solve issues by telling them to power cycle devices gaining false confidence you know what you're doing. It happens when 1 in 4 people think the world is flat. Just saying. But some of us when we encounter issues, we have the ability, the know-how and experience to try all the basic things FIRST before taking the time "hoping" to reach out to a professional. At the very least someone who knows "BASIC TROUBLESHOOTING METHODS" 

Edited by SDHoover

9 hours ago, SDHoover said:

Therefore, the only changes were an Emby Server update

Is your server on Windows?  It is not uncommon for an update to the application to cause Windows to add new blocking rules to the firewall.

Also, since you say you are experienced with networks, please ensure that UDP is being allowed on your server machine.  That will alleviate this issue:

9 hours ago, SDHoover said:

The Pin method is the most reasonable and efficient method to connect when dealing with an app, smart device, anything that limits you to a directional pad to try to log in.

because it will just present your local server to you to select without having to type anything.

SDHoover

@Lukenope, I keep my LAN IP's reserved in my firewall. I use a PF Sense and have the Emby servers MAC assigned to the IP so it doesn't change. Emby servers running on a TrueNAS Scale system as an app (Their version of Docker) Kubernetti I can't remember. It's on a Dell R720 Server, dual processor, 64GB DDR3 Ram. 

20221128_101503.jpg