Photo Download Quality

Sandbox

Was this resolved ? Im trying a simple image download and I only get an image preview in download. The basics of ios is to have a download to photos and download to files option. Any solutions. I want to download an image from the server without loosing any quality. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
ruedi

Hi Luke!

Sorry for warming up this chapter againn ..... it is now July of 2023 - image quality of EMBY's PHOTO section is still absolutely terrible.
The color quality is definitely still incredibly poor.

Can you guys please give me an answer why the sever degrades the images in such a significant way?

Some of us spend so much time trying to create the perfect image and improve the quality in hours of work with Photoshop and other applications.
And in the end, it all gets lost when viewed in EMBY's photo section.

I can really understand that in some rare cases it can be helpful to compress the information within an image.

But shouldn't there be a configuration option to turn off such a feature and just transfer the file as it is stored in the directory?

Maybe there is something viewer dependent here ... is there a way to select the most appropriate viewer on request - or is it always the HTML5 viewer from the browser?

Or would you really say that the left part of the attached image (EMBY Theater App) is the same as the right part (Win11 Photos App)?

Thanks in advance for your very welcome answer!

Ruediger

Screenshot 2023-07-08 161320.png

On 7/8/2023 at 10:20 AM, ruedi said:

Hi Luke!

Sorry for warming up this chapter againn ..... it is now July of 2023 - image quality of EMBY's PHOTO section is still absolutely terrible.
The color quality is definitely still incredibly poor.

Can you guys please give me an answer why the sever degrades the images in such a significant way?

Some of us spend so much time trying to create the perfect image and improve the quality in hours of work with Photoshop and other applications.
And in the end, it all gets lost when viewed in EMBY's photo section.

I can really understand that in some rare cases it can be helpful to compress the information within an image.

But shouldn't there be a configuration option to turn off such a feature and just transfer the file as it is stored in the directory?

Maybe there is something viewer dependent here ... is there a way to select the most appropriate viewer on request - or is it always the HTML5 viewer from the browser?

Or would you really say that the left part of the attached image (EMBY Theater App) is the same as the right part (Win11 Photos App)?

Thanks in advance for your very welcome answer!

Ruediger

Screenshot 2023-07-08 161320.png

Is that a screenshot from the app, or a download from the app?

Hi Luke!

This is a snapshot from the app which was done using windows 11.

The left one comes from the app (independed if the "windows app" is used or the installable variant) both show on a 5k monitor/NVIDIA 1660 Super.

The right one is the oringal picture taken with a Samsung S22.

It seems that a kind of conversion arises here - when I download the picture I receive files which a way smaller then the ones originally stored on my NAS.

Viewing and downloading it on my S22+ shows me nearly an identical view: color range seems ok. Resolution, too.

The original file than is 2.1 MB, the downloaded is 2.45 MB - so seems something has been done with the file.

The main difference appears when viewing it using windows - here the colors are gone and the resolution is pretty low.
It does not depend on the window size I use - even when I spread to my full 5k it is the same.

The downloaded file size in this case is below 1MB.

The bigger the pictures the more is the difference. Mostly I use a 35 Mpx Canon R7 for my pictures, shoot in raw quality and then "clean" the image in Photoshop/Lightroom and finally export for common use in  ProPhoto RBG - JPEG files. Nice pictures - but viewed in the EMBY app nearly all the glitter has been gone :)

Thanks for your thoughts and your advise

Ruediger

when I download the picture I receive files which a way smaller then the ones originally stored on my NAS.

How exactly did you download?

• 1 month later...

Hi Luke, good day!

It seems it appears only on Windows PCs. I don't see it when viewing pictures on my Samsung S22.

Maybe an issue with the App which has been used to display the pictures. Playing videos does not result in wrong colours.

Any chance to find out which viewer has been used? Or any chance to change it?

Downloading the files will result now in good quality.

But I have different issues. I am currently on vacation and tried to dowload some videos via VPN. Now it seems that Emby will always require the VPN connection. Playing offline is not possible. Clicking on the "Download" button results in a permanently moving circle.

So for the moment my Emby client is useless. Re-installation is really changing nothing.

Will report more, when I am back home

Regards

Ruediger

Clicking on the "Download" button results in a permanently moving circle.

Hi, are you saying you're trying to click on Download when you're offline? Or did you mean to say clicking on Play?

Hi Luke!

Had a working VPN to my android phone when downloading the files.

After that I had no internet anymore (airplane). Then tried to start Emby, came up with server selection frame. Clicked on "Downloads" area, which leads to a permanently running circle.

Had to terminate the Emby via task switcher. As soon as I initiate the VPN everything works as expected. But as soon as I shut down the VPN everything is like written above - no access to download section again. So it should be reproducible ... If I can help in any way, please let me know.

I have the same imstallation on the phones of my daughters. They downloaded their files while they where in our intranet. There is no problem.

Strange difference ....

Regards

Rüdiger

Edited by ruedi

On 8/27/2023 at 1:49 AM, ruedi said:

Hi Luke!

Had a working VPN to my android phone when downloading the files.

After that I had no internet anymore (airplane). Then tried to start Emby, came up with server selection frame. Clicked on "Downloads" area, which leads to a permanently running circle.

Had to terminate the Emby via task switcher. As soon as I initiate the VPN everything works as expected. But as soon as I shut down the VPN everything is like written above - no access to download section again. So it should be reproducible ... If I can help in any way, please let me know.

I have the same imstallation on the phones of my daughters. They downloaded their files while they where in our intranet. There is no problem.

Strange difference ....

Regards

Rüdiger

Hi, this is resolved in Emby for iOS 2.2.12. Thanks.

Hi and thanks - but I have an Android ;)

When do you plan a fix here?

Do you have a beta for me then I could test as long as I on vacation...

Best regards

Rüdiger

• 1 month later...

Hi Luke - need to warm up the thread again.

I have meanwhile installed https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/4.8.0.49/emby-server-deb_4.8.0.49_amd64.deb running under Debian Bookworm and having no other problems.

It is independent if I use a browser or "Emby Theater" and independend if I use the Windows "APP", oder the installation file from your servers. It does not depend on the operating system of the client - I have the same problem on my Android Mobiles, Windows 10 and Window 11.

JPEG pictures viewed with Emby appear totally different on the screen as they are stored.

In attachement a snoapshot from my screen and the original file.

Downloading the file results to an exact copy of what is stored on the discs.

Sorry can't upload the files - seems they are to big (33MB, 6960x4640 px, ProPhotoRGB), but the result is what you see on the left side.

If I save the viewed picture (right mouse -> save picture) it results in a very small (930 KB, 2175x1450 px, Colorspace uncalibrated).

It is the same for the thumbnails viewed on the overview pages of emby.

How can I prevent my photos for being transformed?

best regards

RUE

Screenshot_20231007_131810.png

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks - would be really great.

Maybe simply the option to disable transcoding manually or when the client is in LAN.

Thanks in advance

RUE

• Thanks 1