Searching in the Forum

Arby

I don't know if this was a recent topic. And I am not able to check that, because the search function in this Forum is very bad.

I understand that it only allows one search for a defined period of time to relieve the Forum servers. That is not the point.

I often realize that searching for one word isn't sufficient and I need to give more detail by adding a second one. Then, the Forum software shows all entries were ONE of those two words is used. Okay, my fault, at least it hints me to use a term "word1 AND word2"... so I adjust the search term and add an "AND" between my two search words.

Guess what happens: Now I am presented all posts that use ONE of the words "word1", "word2" and "and". Forum suggests to narrow the search by using "word1 AND and AND word2". Kidding?

GrimReaper

When using logical operator, I'm getting only results with word1 AND word2. Can you give an exact example where you're getting ANY of the search words results as well?

No, I can't. Obviously, it was fixed lately. Last week I got additional posts with "AND" when using that function (dont remember the two search words anymore) and the result count increased though it should have been decreased.

5 hours ago, Arby said:

Then why this:

image.png.f1a6cd1441b936b400b07cdf767f7e8f.png

?

That hint is wrong and misleading.

Hi.  Those aren't hints.  They are links.  Click one of them to execute that search.

• Like 1

Of course they are links (did I say anything contradicting?). You already shadow-repaired the function so I look like a moron. Please don't make it worse.

• Confused 1

Hi. I don't believe we changed anything.   I think that, the way the forum works is, if you were already searching with the AND implied via options (like from clicking that link) and then you also type in "AND" in the search field - then "AND" will be included in the search.  The clue here would be to look at the suggested links and see if "AND" is in them.

• Like 1

Here is an example.  I had already clicked the link to AND the terms together.  Then I also typed in AND:

image.png

I always just use the links to get what I want instead of trying to use keywords.

• Like 1

This leads nowhere anymore. I am using forums since the 90s, so I assume I know how to feed search input field. I am programming software since the 80s, so I know how AND and OR expressions work.

Please close this thread. I will not take part in this conversation any further.

Hi.  We did not build this forum software.  We're just trying to help you understand how it works.

Thanks.

• Like 1