Just got an Lg c2 tv, can anyone help with any recommended settings?

AsheAshe

AsheAshe

Just got an lg c2 42 inch tv for the bedroom. We use emby downstairs mostly via an nvidia shield which plays anything and everything flawlessly 

when I saw the lg tv has an emby app I was hoping this would avoid buying another shield pro, initially lot of things seemed to play but when I tried later we got a lot of buffering (it is in WiFi, but we have mesh network with wifi6 and 1000/1000 up/down bandwidth externally, appreciate WiFi isn't always the best though 

im going to hard wire it on the weekend with Ethernet but curious if there are limitations still on audio formats or video formats that mean I will be better off having the shield, or would I be able to direct play everything with the Ethernet and the emby app on the tv?

should I be setting an account up that tells it not to transcode?

server runs on a qnap 453-be with 16gb ram 

Edited by AsheAshe

• 2 weeks later...
BenchZowner
On 11/11/2022 at 12:14 PM, AsheAshe said:

Just got an lg c2 42 inch tv for the bedroom. We use emby downstairs mostly via an nvidia shield which plays anything and everything flawlessly 

when I saw the lg tv has an emby app I was hoping this would avoid buying another shield pro, initially lot of things seemed to play but when I tried later we got a lot of buffering (it is in WiFi, but we have mesh network with wifi6 and 1000/1000 up/down bandwidth externally, appreciate WiFi isn't always the best though 

im going to hard wire it on the weekend with Ethernet but curious if there are limitations still on audio formats or video formats that mean I will be better off having the shield, or would I be able to direct play everything with the Ethernet and the emby app on the tv?

should I be setting an account up that tells it not to transcode?

server runs on a qnap 453-be with 16gb ram 

I'm afraid that I'll disappoint you by pointing (pun intended) out that the LG WebOS apps such as Emby, VLC, and other media playback apps cannot playback or bitstream to an AVR any lossless media format. It only supports Dolby Digital (AC-3) and Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3) [ DDP + Atmos of course ].

To get the full experience and pass-through lossless 2D & 3D audio to your soundbar/av receiver you'll need a streaming device such as the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (highly recommended).

Edited by BenchZowner

AsheAshe
4 hours ago, BenchZowner said:

I'm afraid that I'll disappoint you by pointing (pun intended) out that the LG WebOS apps such as Emby, VLC, and other media playback apps cannot playback or bitstream to an AVR any lossless media format. It only supports Dolby Digital (AC-3) and Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3) [ DDP + Atmos of course ].

To get the full experience and pass-through lossless 2D & 3D audio to your soundbar/av receiver you'll need a streaming device such as the NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (highly recommended).

Yeah since bought another shield to solve this as already had one for the main tv. 

Can someone clarify something to me. When the LG WebOS doesn't support X audio format won't the server just transcode the audio stream to something it can support? So there shouldn't be any buffering issue (I assume that the server can transcode video / audio at a faster rate than the video fps).

Or to turn the question around, if the server is powerful enough there shouldn't be any buffering on the LG, correct? I ask because I have seen other posts like @AsheAshe where there are buffering issues.

ps: would android perform better regarding video/audio codecs?

1 minute ago, Loke said:

Can someone clarify something to me. When the LG WebOS doesn't support X audio format won't the server just transcode the audio stream to something it can support?

Yes it will.

AsheAshe
3 minutes ago, Loke said:

Can someone clarify something to me. When the LG WebOS doesn't support X audio format won't the server just transcode the audio stream to something it can support? So there shouldn't be any buffering issue (I assume that the server can transcode video / audio at a faster rate than the video fps).

Or to turn the question around, if the server is powerful enough there shouldn't be any buffering on the LG, correct? I ask because I have seen other posts like @AsheAshe where there are buffering issues.

ps: would android perform better regarding video/audio codecs?

I think that's the issue really anything that it can't play direct gets transcoded and I got buffering

so by having an nvidia shield everything gets played direct and even on WiFi we can direct play 80gb movies with Dolby Visio and atmos without buffering 

id imagine if running on a powerful pc not a problem but a qnap NAS isn't great for it. Tv episodes generally fine and some movies but quite a few things buffered 

also doesn't handle Dolby vision files well, get the purple / green tints. Shield plays them fine 

• 4 weeks later...
Painkiller8818

The only downside of the shield pro is that is has just an HDMI 2.0b instead of HDMI 2.1 like the LG does have, which means you would not get eARC support for the HD Audio formats and you are limited to 50-60HZ 4K with the Shield Pro

AsheAshe
2 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

The only downside of the shield pro is that is has just an HDMI 2.0b instead of HDMI 2.1 like the LG does have, which means you would not get eARC support for the HD Audio formats and you are limited to 50-60HZ 4K with the Shield Pro

Not really a downside for me, in my bedroom I'm not bothered about audio formats as it's using built in sound on the tv, and downstairs it's connected to an AV receiver which does supper them.