Emby Behaviour with HDD Sleep, NVME System, Sata Media

ginjaninja

ginjaninja

System:

Windows 10, Emby Server (Beta), Balanced power profiles (HDDs switch off after X minutes), Asus X99A-Usb3.1, 5820K 16GB Ram

1 x Samsung 970 1TB Nvme, 10x8TB Sata connected to motherboard/expansion card (JBOD) via SATA.

Emby folders on Nvme, Media on Sata, Library configured to "save artwork in media folders"

Now that power costs are so high, i am alot more interested in power saving, on idle my 24/7 server uses 70W vs 125W balanced vs high power. That will pay for another HDD every year!

Assumptions:

NVME drives wake from sleep in milliseconds?

Observed behaviour:

When browsing emby ui in webclient after a period of inactivity, the system / chrome / emby is immediately responsive, but some images eg. on continue watching can take a few seconds to show. particularly notiable when changing search terms in search ui.

Question:

When browsing Emby (not playing any content or amending the media/metadata intentionally), does Emby need to wake up/use the media drives? My expectation was that the NVME drive had everything Emby needed (cached metadata), so browsing wouldnt be effected (much) by enabling hdd power saving, but that does not seem to be the case in practise.

thanks

Hi, only if there is an exact cache match for what the client is requesting will you avoid the server having to go back to the media folder. The server does not preemptively cache original copies of images, although this topic has come up before and such a feature is likely for future updates.

• Thanks 1