Playback freezing when remote viewing

rastriffler

rastriffler

Hey folks,

I am having some intermittant issues with playback freezing, - only when playing a movie from a remote location (most recently, in Safari on a macBook Air), and possibly due to others logged in and streaming movies.  Sometimes it will resume, other times I have to back out of the movie and restart it.

Server has been up and running for years and kept up to date with releases, but there could still be something fairly basic in my setup that I am missing.  Any feedback is very welcome!

Here is my setup:

• macOS Catalina, Version 10.15.7 running on a Mac mini (Late 2012) - this is a dedicated Emby server, so nothing should be competing for resources
  • Processor 2.5 GHz Dual -Core Intel Core 15
  • Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • 500GB internal hard drive (non-SSD, formatted APFS)
  • Entire Emby library (~375GB) stored on a 4TB external USB drive formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled)
  • Our home network regularly gets 200+ mbps, and there are rarely more than 3 people watching different movies simultaneously
  • All movies are .mp4 format, and range between 1GB and 4.5GB in size.  All have been converted using Handbrake.

I didn't think that any of the movies would require transcoding (and have recently turned that off), but am including the ffmpeg-transcode log that was generated since it seems that may be happening with a few movies and I need to understand why.  I believe it's only happening for a recent movie I may not have converted/reduced properly.

Thanks very much!

embyserver-63803458786.txt ffmpeg-transcode-f7bd472b-2946-4506-a75f-024699e20ef7_1.txt

Edited by rastriffler

Hi, please try lowering the in app quality setting a bit further and see if that helps. That usually will help with this kind of problem. Thanks.

rastriffler
41 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, please try lowering the in app quality setting a bit further and see if that helps. That usually will help with this kind of problem. Thanks.

I've tried that when using iPhone, or TV app to playback, but didn't think that was an option when watching from the browser.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2022 at 1:10 PM, rastriffler said:

I've tried that when using iPhone, or TV app to playback, but didn't think that was an option when watching from the browser.

Hi, yes it's always an option. There is a gear button in the video player, and you can also configure the quality setting in the app's playback settings. The web app has this as well.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !