Single (big) transcode file when casting with chromecast

Gaba90
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Sorry I didn't know in which area to post this correctly. 

I have set my transcode path to my 5gb ramdisk. 

Normally when emby is transcoding using android / iPhone /Apple TV app, multiple small transcoding files are generated and deleted during transcoding process when using the throttling function. 

With this process my ramdisk always has space and won't get full. 

But when I'm using chromecast as a player, emby generates a single file for the whole movie apparently instead of the multiple small files and this file gets bigger because the whole movie is being transcode into this single file until I stop the stream (or my ramdisk is full)

Is this normal behavior for transcoding using chromecast? 

HI, yes this is true. Different device use different techniques, and right now, in some cases at least, this is the best option for Chromecast.

Hi Luke thanks for your response. I guess I have to push the transcode temp path to my SSD then. Or is it possible to change the patch specifically for chromecast transcode? (config file?) 

Happy2Play

As far as I know all transcoding/converting processes use the same location.  Settings-Transcoding, Transcoding temporary path

• Thanks 1

• Solution
On 11/10/2022 at 4:21 AM, Gaba90 said:

Hi Luke thanks for your response. I guess I have to push the transcode temp path to my SSD then. Or is it possible to change the patch specifically for chromecast transcode? (config file?) 

Currently not, no, although we hope to make Chromecast transcoding more like other apps in future updates.

• Like 1