Launch media in external player from web client

Scott750

Errr... sorry

I did not think this is such a touchy subject.

I've been installing and uninstalling media centers for the past 3 days, and finally Media Browser seems like the real deal, with the exception of this little thing.

I just want to clarify my query:

I want to browse the media catalog via the web interface.  Then I want to be able to choose how to play the media: transcoded in the browser OR in the local media player.

No installs, no MBC, no other software but the player and the browser.

I do not want to launch a program on another computer.  I don't need remote control like with XBMC.

Edited by zigmond

If Media Browser will allow to config extra 'Play' link schemes then we'll be half way there.

Other programs solved this issue using a fake/custom protocol.  (e.g. eDonkey handle links with ed2k:// for protocol.)

Once we have the additional custom links we can configure whatever we want on the client machines.

e.g.  http://youtu.be/MHu1EMGwsdg?t=5m40s

Edited by zigmond

If Media Browser will allow to config extra 'Play' link schemes then we'll be half way there.

Other programs solved this issue using a fake/custom protocol.  (e.g. eDonkey handle links with ed2k:// for protocol.)

Once we have the additional custom links we can configure whatever we want on the client machines.

e.g.  http://youtu.be/MHu1EMGwsdg?t=5m40s

sounds neat. how do we make that easy for average Joe though who has never heard of url schemes? we're going to have to answer the same questions about how to set it up over and over

sounds neat. how do we make that easy for average Joe though who has never heard of url schemes? we're going to have to answer the same questions about how to set it up over and over

1. Have Media Browser come with extra, predefined links to the default MPC/VLC/Popular player locations on Windows/Linux/Mac.

2. Allow the user to activate these links and edit them if needed (most users install to the default c:/program files/... path)

3. Allow the user to add new custom 'play' links and paths

4. Provide a small util to register the custom urls, like the one provided above, but specifically for players on OS

e.g. GUI:

[ x ] Allow the user to open the media in a local program (VLC, Media Player Classic, GOM Player)

[ x ] Windows users

[ x ] Windows Media Player [ wmp://file|c:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe %1]    <---- edit path here

[   ] VLC  [vlc://file|c:\program files\vlc\vlc.exe %1]

[ x ] Media Player Classic [mpc://file|c:\program files\whatever... %1]

[ x ] Linux users

[ x ] VLC on windows [vlc://file|~\whatever... %1]

[ Add new media player]                    <---- a button launching the 'new media player' editor

Edited by zigmond

I know different people want different things out of their media center packages but honestly, this concept is all I've ever really needed for my media library. I use Madvr personally for my renderer and MPC-HC more than satisfies what I need out of a media player. I've tried MBT but I don't even need the frontend graphics portion for my needs. I guess what we are all looking for is a headless way to launch our external player of choice from the web client. I try to avoid a frontend. Mostly because I use a Plasma (A Kuro hence the paranoia :P). Yes, I know there are screensaver features but I think there is also a nice minimalism to utilizing a web client to external player setup. In some regards, frontends with onscreen navigation like XBMC and MBT, are simply things we don't need. Especially so, if all we are going to do is use it to launch our own external player from within the application!

Someone earlier had said that you guys are so close you may not even realize it. I have to say there's a lot of truth to that statement. Your server package alone is all I could ever want out of managing my media. If someone happens to have the links to previous posts on the forum concerning this topic, I'd love to read up on it. Glad to be apart of the forum!

Edited by ispano
  • Like 2

1. Have Media Browser come with extra, predefined links to the default MPC/VLC/Popular player locations on Windows/Linux/Mac.

2. Allow the user to activate these links and edit them if needed (most users install to the default c:/program files/... path)

3. Allow the user to add new custom 'play' links and paths

4. Provide a small util to register the custom urls, like the one provided above, but specifically for players on OS

e.g. GUI:

[ x ] Allow the user to open the media in a local program (VLC, Media Player Classic, GOM Player)

[ x ] Windows users

[ x ] Windows Media Player [ wmp://file|c:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe %1]    

[   ] VLC  [vlc://file|c:\program files\vlc\vlc.exe %1]

[ x ] Media Player Classic [mpc://file|c:\program files\whatever... %1]

[ x ] Linux users

[ x ] VLC on windows [vlc://file|~\whatever... %1]

[ Add new media player]                    

This would work but is a bit complicated. And a lot of work for us. 

What I think would be great is if someone new could build that into a plugin. If someone is willing to take on that work then I'd be happy to build the injection points to add the external player options into the menu.

As suggested before. How about option to have play button provide m3u file? And You can set browser to automatic open in player of choice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Scott750

Griffen247, Just to touch on the first part of your post, are you bitstreaming your audio with hdmi to your home theater receiver? If so, then that high end sound card isn't doing anything. The receiver is doing all of the work. The only reason to use a sound card is the decode the audio tracks if your receive cannot decide then itself (DTS-HD Master or Dolby True HD). It's better to let your receiver decode the uncompressed audio tracks to get the full effect of sound intended by the director. If you're not bitstreaming then you're missing out on the highest audio quality possible.

Also you don't need that high end of a video card to play 1080p video. Even for your 100" lcd, which I'm assuming is not a 4k TV. It's a waste. Something like HD4600 integrated graphics or a GT640 video card will do. And both of those will allow bitstreaming audio fully uncompressed. That high end video card is really designed for maxed out eye candy in games or photo editing.

Just my .02

Edited by Scott750

griffen247

Given I seem to have stirred some s**t with my original post, and been somewhat sarcastic with my post, so let me clarify one important point that I perhaps didn't make clear.

I have a custom built HTPC stand alone computer, which contains a very high end nvidia graphics card and an ESI studio quality sound card.  I have this PC plugged into a 100 inch LCD TV and the sound outputting to home theatre sound system.  I'm also a long term user of MPC-HC, so I have it configured as the external player inside MBT. 

Therefore, I want to get the best quality possible, which I'm not going to be able to get streaming via any service mentioned above in the replies from staff, admin members.

I think all of the new features that have been added to MB3 are great, you've certainly covered many options for viewing a media library.  However my preference is to use my HTPC as it was intended, I just wanted to point out that an incredibly awesome feature/goal for any developers out there would be having the iPad media browsing option that is able to launch the selected video on my HTPC. 

I certainly didn't want my comments to be taken as 'negative criticism' especially when pointing out that the 'Zappiti' home theatre media app, can do what I'm asking for on an iPad..... I was simply saying it can be done.

I hope someone out there is working on this, 'Zigmond' is possibly onto something, but I agree - how do you make that easy for average Joe, who has never heard of url schemes? 

If anyone one is working on this and wants someone to beta test thoroughly then please feel free to contact me via PM....

Thanks guys, keep up the good work

griffen247

Thanks Scott750.... All good points, but my system worked great with MB2 and although I don't need server management for content, I'm fully supporting and sticking with MB3.  As I said earlier, I work in the audio/visual industry and have literally tried dozens of media content management solutions, hence my comment 'you guys are so close you may not even realise it'......

MB3 could be on competing with the likes of Kaleidescape residential systems at this rate, which is a huge achievement by MB3!

I would just like it to be remembered by the developers that the HTPC community is large. Perhaps like myself, many will have no desire to watch content on a phone, tablet, or laptop from multiple locations within a house.  My TV isn't supported in the 'DLNA System Profiles' yet, but I'm sure it will be at some point, so will be interesting to see how smooth everything works with this option.

Edited by griffen247

I think the remote control functions in MB are excellent,  I can use the web interface and launch any media in MPC-HC from the web interface to any host that is running MBC or MBT.

However, using the fantastic API, I've also built a small, standalone windows app that sits in the system tray on any machine and appears as a remote control target in MB's Web Interface and just launches MPC-HC to play content.  If this is of any use to anyone, let me know and I'm happy to share.  

• Like 5

I think the remote control functions in MB are excellent,  I can use the web interface and launch any media in MPC-HC from the web interface to any host that is running MBC or MBT.

However, using the fantastic API, I've also built a small, standalone windows app that sits in the system tray on any machine and appears as a remote control target in MB's Web Interface and just launches MPC-HC to play content.  If this is of any use to anyone, let me know and I'm happy to share.  

Well done! We should find a place to post this where people will find it.

blade005

I would be interested in this. I would hope the Devs would be as well.

I had asked about a similar solution a few months back. A 'listener' app that could sit in the Windows tray and allow you to 'throw' media content to it to play without having to have MBC or MBT up and running all of the time. I have multiple machines around the house, but none are sitting there all day with MBC or MBT up and running.  How flexible could the launch options be? Could  MBC or MBT be the launched player?

Great use of the Remote Control function.  Well done!!

• Like 1

The way I implemented this, it could use any media player, however it needs to have some way of getting the status to report to the API, MPC-HC has this via the web interface plus it's probably the best player around at the moment.

Launching MPC or MBT is not going to be feasible in a seamless way since both these apps integrate with Media Browser, and are not designed to be just media players.  I guess you could start them but as things stand currently, you'd need to switch to a new remote control target when they load.  I wonder if you start MBT minimised if it will launch files in fullscreen?  It wouldn't be too hard to modify MBT on minimise on stop but it's not really what MBT was designed for.

Yeah the "hand off" of the remote session is why I hadn't tried to build one of these already.  It simply won't be seamless from the user standpoint to ask to play something in MBC but then have to change the remote control target after that request.

For what you've done, however, it really isn't necessary to launch full MB if people are just wanting to  "play to" the computer.  This provides them a way to do that.

Scott750

Olywa123,Thanks for the heads up. Right now I only have 1 HTPC. Selecting Media Browser as the play-to device will launch MPC-HC, which is perfect for my needs. If one day I end up building more HTPCs anks tool sound like it will be very helpful.