XML Metadata Update 3.5.0 no longer seeing images

Theodore

Theodore

XML reader was updated 3.5.0 on the morning of November 2nd (US Pacific time) and since then importing TV series imports that have images stored with them do not show the images and therefore Emby generates thumbnails for them even though it was imported complete. 

Example of structure:

> Book of Boba Fett, The

---> Season 1

------> S01E01 - Stranger in a Strange Land.mp4

------> metadata

---------> S01E01 - Stranger in a Strange Land.xml

---------> S01E01 - Stranger in a Strange Land.jpg

Prior to the 3.5.0 update this always worked (literally ALWAYS, since MediaBrowser3 at least) as expected and would bring in the associated image as the episode thumb. That image is no longer being recognized.

Theodore

Show me a metadata creator app that makes NFO files that is as easy, thorough, and intuitive to use as MetaBrowser and I will happily switch over. Until then, this is what I have to use to make sure everything is imported as complete as possible. I have been burned too many times with Emby's built-in fetchers being incomplete, inaccurate, and overwriting even locked files.

Happy2Play

Will have to look some more but appears to work here as I still use MCM.

queried the image used via the api added today, but I actually have Episode image provider disabled in Emby.

[
  {
    "ImageType": "Primary",
    "Path": "Z:\\ServerFolders\\Videos\\TV Series\\CSI, Vegas (2021)\\Season 2\\metadata\\63572d30a2416.jpg",
    "Filename": "63572d30a2416.jpg",
    "Height": 360,
    "Width": 640,
    "Size": 61475
  }
]

Theodore
14 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Will have to look some more but appears to work here as I still use MCM.

queried the image used via the api added today, but I actually have Episode image provider disabled in Emby.

I imported files on November 1st that worked exactly as expected and files on November 2nd that showed this changed behavior. The only change in between was the XML reader getting updated. I don't use MCM for TV shows, only MetaBrowser so that I can enter things as I want them to be (don't get me going on my process, it is relatively streamlined but it is still the very definition of "anal retentive"). When using MetaBrowser the image is saved as "..\metadata\<EpisodeName>.jpg" and Emby has always read this correctly since at least MediaBrowser3. If it gives you any idea how long I've been using this, I started with a WinXP MPC when MediaBrowser was a plugin for Windows Media Center.

Happy2Play

@Lukedo you know if this is only related to the removal of /Images/EpisodeLocalImageProvider.cs"

Theodore
21 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@Lukedo you know if this is only related to the removal of /Images/EpisodeLocalImageProvider.cs"

Why get rid of things? I understand you want to make improvements, but make improvements without getting rid of current things that work well. The days of having to make decisions in code for processing power ended over a decade ago so I really don't understand why in 2022 this is still a thing.

• 2 weeks later...
Brendon

I am seeing a similar thing today, images in the metadata folder are being ignored completely and emby is redownloading them all into the main season folder.

pwhodges
On 05/11/2022 at 03:00, Theodore said:

Why get rid of things? I understand you want to make improvements, but make improvements without getting rid of current things that work well. The days of having to make decisions in code for processing power ended over a decade ago so I really don't understand why in 2022 this is still a thing.

When an improved version of something is added and the old one is retained alongside, this adds complexity to the program.  Complexity leads to additional effort when further improving things, and increases the likelihood of bugs that will require extra effort to fix.  So although a degree of backward compatibility is good in user terms, it is also good for the health of a project to remove obsolete code after a while as part of moving on.

It's not about the power of the computer, but the best use of available programming time.

Paul