MacOS/Safari: Videos are not played until the end

jmunowitch

jmunowitch

Some videos being played end early and mark themselves as watched. The time that the videos stop change on each viewing and are not consistent for each file/video. The issue generally happens while watching videos, so while I can get the issue to happen, it is not exactly reproducible in the exact set of circumstances (same file, same time each time). It seems to occur randomly, but after a few tries it happens again.

This happens when Safari Tab is both in the foreground and background, but may not always be focus. I think this is related to the other following thread:

Computer Info:
MacOS 12.5.1 & 13.0
Safari 15.6.1 & 16 & 16.1

Emby Info:
see attached log files

ffmpeg-transcode-7e8a4f6e-c4e2-49f7-b100-aaad5a4e1d85_1.txt embyserver.txt hardware_detection-63803025308.txt

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
jmunowitch

I seem to be able to trigger this more often when in Picture in Picture mode. 🤔

When in Full Screen mode, it does not seem to trigger.

In a tab that is not the active tab, it just triggered. 🤔

Edited by jmunowitch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
jmlamotte

Hello, I'm facing the same issue with Videos suddenly stopping.

I think it started when I upgraded to Emby 4.7.11 about 2 weeks ago (I was still on 4.6 before - this is on QNAP), but maybe I upgraded Safari to 16.3 the same day. I have not been able to find a pattern. Just right now, I started a video on Safari (main tab, no PiP, and safari as the front app). 40 seconds into the video, it stopped. If I had "Play next episode" enabled, it would play the next episode. 

It happens randomly, sometimes after 30 seconds, sometimes it could be after 10 minutes. And for any video. It does not happen in Chrome. 

I have attached my debug logs, but there's not much in there. I can reproduce the issue easily. 

Thanks. 

jm

embyserver.txt

Edited by jmlamotte
  • Agree 1

K22R8CT
On 2/17/2023 at 6:20 AM, jmlamotte said:

I was still on 4.6 before - this is on QNAP), but maybe I upgraded Safari to 16.3

4.7 is incompatible with Safari in my experience.

4.6 works with all Safari versions I've tested including 16.3

Edited by K22R8CT

jmlamotte

So if 4.7 is incompatible with Safari, that would probably explain our issue. Is there any plan to support it again ? I find Safari lighter than the other browsers. 

I'll give the hosted web app a try. 

Thanks for your answers. 

K22R8CT
6 minutes ago, jmlamotte said:

So if 4.7 is incompatible with Safari, that would probably explain our issue.

I should have qualified that with "in my experience."

But my experience includes multiple versions of macOS and iOS, multiple devices and multiple emby versions consistently for about a year.

The safari threads deal with specific issues and specific setups but the more basic question, which I haven't seen answered, is whether anyone has safari working consistently with versions > 4.6.

GrimReaper
On 2/17/2023 at 9:23 AM, K22R8CT said:

4.7 is incompatible with Safari.

Does that apply to QNAP server only or you are under general impression that it doesn't? I don't use it but have a user that uses Safari on MacOS regularly on daily basis on my Win server 4.7.11.0.stable, haven't noticed any playback issues nor have received complaints about it (besides apparently unrelated Web socket forcibly closing, resulting in no remote playback controls in Dashboard Now Playing session and some weird HLS figures, which I've posted about just recently). 

K22R8CT
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Does that apply to QNAP server only or you are under general impression that it doesn't?

I'm seeing it in docker on a PC with an intel celeron, so maybe similar hardware.

1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

a user that uses Safari on MacOS regularly on daily basis on my Win server 4.7.11.0.stable, haven't noticed any playback issues

So it's working for someone - thanks, that's more than I knew before. Do you know what versions of macOS and Safari?

GrimReaper
2 hours ago, K22R8CT said:

Do you know what versions of macOS and Safari

Nope, but can easily find out tonight. Will revert. 

Edit: As I've been informed:

Safari 16.2 (18614.3.7.1.5)

MacOS Ventura

Edited by GrimReaper
Versions
  • Thanks 1

K22R8CT

Very helpful, thanks.

Ventura came out after Emby 4.7 so we can rule out "older macOS" as a solution.

Then maybe my and @jmlamotte's (and @Gecko's) problem is on the server end.

Could windows be the difference? I run docker.

Docker all the way,

have the issue myself and Mac OS user remote users. Have this issue since 4.7 or so. Cannot do much than sending logs.

no issue whatsoever with jellyfin by the way…

• Agree 1

K22R8CT

The latest http://app.emby.media seems to have fixed it for me – I played a movie through to the end with no interruptions.

I'll keep testing, report any issues.

Thank you Luke and the rest of the team. Really looking forward to the next release.

• 1 month later...
K22R8CT

After several weeks of use I can confirm this is fully resolved in the beta series (I'm running 4.8.0.29 currently.)

• Thanks 1