Thumbnails for Multiple File Movies now has same coverimage repeatedly

Guest EmbyEbookReader
Go to solution Solved by Guest EmbyEbookReader,

Guest EmbyEbookReader

My Current Emby Environment Description:

• Emby Server version 4.7.8.0 on QNAP NAS.
  • Emby Client Version 2.1.6 for Mac OS.
  • Also sometimes using Firefox browser as client.

Problem Description:

Some movies in my library have multiple parts, contained in the same folder, for example MovieName-pt1.mp4, MovieName-pt1.mp4, MovieName-pt3.mp4, etc.

Emby is smart enough to recognize these multiple files as belonging to the same movie and groups them and displays them under "Additional Parts" heading in the browser window.  However, the thumbnail image for each additional file / part is simply a copy of the top-level Movie Poster / DVD Cover Image that is used for the overall movie (i.e. same identical thumbnail as used in the top level heading for part 1).

Previously, the thumbnails for the extra files / parts would be actual screen captures automatically generated from the content of the file.  This was very helpful to be able to see what was in each extra part.

It would seem as if something has changed since version 4.7.6.0 that now makes Emby simply duplicate the top-level media cover image.  I believe this new behavior is a step backwards for 2 reasons:

1. It takes away the facility and logical benefit to the user, of being able to preview the contents of each extra part before playing the movie.

2. Aesthetically, it looks strange and awkward to have the same cover image repeated over and over again under Additional Parts (it looks like there are just multiple copies of the same film).

Suggested Solutions:

• Give the user the ability to choose which behavior they wish to use - either duplicate the Movie Primary Cover Image OR have auto-generated thumbnails based on the movie (part) content.
  • Alternatively, have a text overlay laid on top of each copy of the cover image indicating that this is "Part 2", "Part 3" , or "Disc 1", "Disc 2", etc.
  • Revert back to original code for handling thumbnails of films with multiple files / parts.

Thank you.

-P.S. I would also love to see (eventually) built-in e-book, pdf,  and comic book reader added :)

• 3 weeks later...
Adorkable

I met the same problem.Refresh the metadata can temporarily solve the problem.

When I refresh the metadata for other movies, the previously refreshed movies will be restored to their original state

At the same time , multiple parts of the title of the video will be displayed -cd1

The previous version didn't look like this

Edited by Adorkable