Change Server from Windows to Linux

TheBigTeam

TheBigTeam

Hi everyone- Curious if anyone knows; Am I able to change my Emby Premier server from Windows to Linux? Will I need to do anything with my video files ? Anything else I should know?

Thanks

I did this, and it generally worked well using the Backup plugin.

The only issue I can recall is due to the different path separator, '\' vs '/' from Windows to Linux.  I think I just edited each library and added each path again, then deleted the path with the wrong '\'.

I also possibly had a similar issue with paths embedded in Playlists.

Overall, none of the problem were showstoppers.  I have found that I have much better server performance on Linux compared to Windows.  I'm able to stream much higher bitrates with less system overhead.  Maybe my old server was having issues, but it has been a positive move with no real downside.

TheBigTeam
7 hours ago, SamES said:

I did this, and it generally worked well using the Backup plugin.

The only issue I can recall is due to the different path separator, '\' vs '/' from Windows to Linux.  I think I just edited each library and added each path again, then deleted the path with the wrong '\'.

I also possibly had a similar issue with paths embedded in Playlists.

Overall, none of the problem were showstoppers.  I have found that I have much better server performance on Linux compared to Windows.  I'm able to stream much higher bitrates with less system overhead.  Maybe my old server was having issues, but it has been a positive move with no real downside.

Thanks for the heads up. To be honest I am a little novice when it comes to the paths. Can you elaborate or tell guide me where to find more details on the paths?

23 minutes ago, TheBigTeam said:

Thanks for the heads up. To be honest I am a little novice when it comes to the paths. Can you elaborate or tell guide me where to find more details on the paths?

For example, library folder paths. These are going to be different, right?

I would suggest setting up the server from scratch and only using the backup process to restore users and user data. You may run into problems trying to restore server configuration due to this.

TheBigTeam
On 11/2/2022 at 3:44 PM, Luke said:

For example, library folder paths. These are going to be different, right?

I would suggest setting up the server from scratch and only using the backup process to restore users and user data. You may run into problems trying to restore server configuration due to this.

Ok- I installed linux, and the Emby Media Server. When I open Emby, it takes me into a browser and wants me to create a new server. No options to restore. How do I bypass?

Well what route do you intend to go based on the choices we mentioned? If using the backup plugin then you'd step through the process of setting up the server and then restore using the backup plugin config screen.

Just select the minimum options to get started, then import the necessary users and user data from your backup. It’s easy just to work though each screen side by side with your old server to setup all the server config. 

Edited by SamES

TheBigTeam
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Well what route do you intend to go based on the choices we mentioned? If using the backup plugin then you'd step through the process of setting up the server and then restore using the backup plugin config screen.

I chose to install a clean server, and restore from there. As of right now I have my library connected just waiting for my backups to show so I can restore.

Happy2Play
1 minute ago, TheBigTeam said:

I chose to install a clean server, and restore from there. As of right now I have my library connected just waiting for my backups to show so I can restore.

Did you install the plugin and configure the path to your backup location?

TheBigTeam
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Did you install the plugin and configure the path to your backup location?

I didn't configure the path, I copied it. Do I need to reconfigure it? It is showing how the diagram showed.

TheBigTeam
17 minutes ago, TheBigTeam said:

I didn't configure the path, I copied it. Do I need to reconfigure it? It is showing how the diagram showed.

Actually that didn't work, what I said. I have changed the configuration but like I said I am a novice. I copied the location and played with the hash marks by flipping them and nothing was found.

TheBigTeam
Just now, TheBigTeam said:

Actually that didn't work, what I said. I have changed the configuration but like I said I am a novice. I copied the location and played with the hash marks by flipping them and nothing was found.

I did find I can edit the partition to linux, but fear I'd lose my files.

TheBigTeam

Maybe this was a bit much for me. I copy the file location and it can't find it. The only place I can see to edit the path is when I paste it to the search in Emby. I am lost. LOL

TheBigTeam
24 minutes ago, TheBigTeam said:

Maybe this was a bit much for me. I copy the file location and it can't find it. The only place I can see to edit the path is when I paste it to the search in Emby. I am lost. LOL

I just do not, for the life of me understand why, when I go to files and find my portable hard drive and the folder with my backups it's there. When I search from Emby it's not. When I copy and paste.... nothing?

Are the backups on a portable USB? How have you mounted that in Linux?  You might need to give us more information on what Linux distribution you are using, etc

Emby makes its own Linux user for the Emby-server service so it might not have the correct permissions to access the usb device and files. 

TheBigTeam
9 hours ago, SamES said:

Are the backups on a portable USB? How have you mounted that in Linux?  You might need to give us more information on what Linux distribution you are using, etc

Emby makes its own Linux user for the Emby-server service so it might not have the correct permissions to access the usb device and files. 

On a portable hard drive, yes it's mounted. I can view the files just fine from the files menu.

TheBigTeam

From the top. I backed up my Emby server on windows to a portable hard drive. I installed linux, set up my new emby server, mounted the hard drive. When I go to files I can go into and view the files as normal. In Emby when I search for the folder/ hard drive nothing. When I copy and paste the path it says can't be found. What am I missing?

TheBigTeam
12 hours ago, Luke said:

From the top. I backed up my Emby server on windows to a portable hard drive. I installed linux, set up my new emby server, mounted the hard drive. When I go to files I can go into and view the files as normal. In Emby when I search for the folder/ hard drive nothing. When I copy and paste the path it says can't be found. What am I missing?

TheBigTeam

So I restarted today. I am following the instructions. However it says to copy the backup files to the new server, yet I am unable to paste them into the directory.

TheBigTeam

Anyone know how to grant permission to be able to paste my backup files? It is not allowing me to paste them. Unfortunately on the guide it says to copy and paste them but nothing if you run into this.

I'm not quite sure which files you are copying.

From this guide (Emby Backup :), which option are you trying to perform?

1. Use the Server Configuration Backup Plugin

2. How to Backup Manually

I thought you were going with option 1 and restoring users and user data as per Luke's recommendation.

Did you configure the backup location in the plugin (use your Backup Location)?  Make sure the 'emby' linux user has permissions to this path and the folders/files

If you get this right, then the backups will appear

image.thumb.png.bb2584bf9e86b9e4ddec040bf843c002.png

Edited by SamES

TheBigTeam
6 hours ago, SamES said:

I'm not quite sure which files you are copying.

From this guide (Emby Backup :), which option are you trying to perform?

1. Use the Server Configuration Backup Plugin

2. How to Backup Manually

I thought you were going with option 1 and restoring users and user data as per Luke's recommendation.

Did you configure the backup location in the plugin (use your Backup Location)?  Make sure the 'emby' linux user has permissions to this path and the folders/files

If you get this right, then the backups will appear

image.thumb.png.bb2584bf9e86b9e4ddec040bf843c002.png

This is what I am trying to accomplish. I cannot figure out why I am not allowed to copy and paste the files over to my new Emby Server. I am running Pop_Os, which is Ubuntu based.

emby.jpg

I know it’s not your immediate issue, but I’m not sure that manually migrating the library is a good idea when changing OS

if you’re using the Plugin then you shouldn’t have to manually copy anything. That’s why I’m confused at what it is that you are trying to copy and paste.