Broadcast msgs

voltagexdt

voltagexdt

id like the ability to send out broadcast messages.

these messages would come accrossed the screen almost like the emergency broadcast messages.

example,

in 10 minutes the server will be restarted.. sorry for any issues.

or, the movie blah blah was just added.

• Like 1

You can already do this from the web client dashboard. It's within the remote control, then advanced.

aqa7a8u6.jpg

You need to manually broadcast these. The client sent to that you've chosen from the remote control list must support messages, not all do.

I agree it is lacking. There is presently no way to send "global" messages. Maybe make some default messages in a list associated with an action and make it event driven, add message queueing and timers. Think of a child who is to be in bed by 9pm. You can set a message timer to show up on their client at 9pm to remind them each night. This would vastly improve the experience and parental control. This is just the most immediately obvious benefit of such a system. I agree it needs to be more fleshed out. The most obvious being pressure developer support of receiving and displaying messages in any official MB branded client. The legwork, setup, and message delivery engine is entirely server based. I agree this needs more Attention than its presently seeing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

aspdend

You can already do this from the web client dashboard. It's within the remote control, then advanced.

aqa7a8u6.jpg

You need to manually broadcast these. The client sent to that you've chosen from the remote control list must support messages, not all do.

I agree it is lacking. There is presently no way to send "global" messages. Maybe make some default messages in a list associated with an action and make it event driven, add message queueing and timers. Think of a child who is to be in bed by 9pm. You can set a message timer to show up on their client at 9pm to remind them each night. This would vastly improve the experience and parental control. This is just the most immediately obvious benefit of such a system. I agree it needs to be more fleshed out. The most obvious being pressure developer support of receiving and displaying messages in any official MB branded client. The legwork, setup, and message delivery engine is entirely server based. I agree this needs more Attention than its presently seeing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Never knew this could be done. I cannot keep up with the sheer improvements and tweaks the team keep adding to the software! Good work again everyone!

What clients support these type of server messages? Anyone know?

Also since its hidden in remote control, advanced I'm assuming you would need to target each user one at a time to send these? Does anyone currently use this feature?

Edited by BAS

Scott84Z28

The messages are very handy when I'm at work and want to tell the kids to turn off the TV and get their homework done.  ;)

its not something I can do from the server based area..  localhost.......

Why not?  The web client can send messages to any current session (if the client supports them).

voltagexdt

ok  I am still not thinking you understand..  when I click on the MB icon in taskbar and select configure server.. that's where im curious if the messages can be sent.  instead of having to do it through web client.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

ok  I am still not thinking you understand..  when I click on the MB icon in taskbar and select configure server.. that's where im curious if the messages can be sent.  instead of having to do it through web client.

Those are the exact same thing. (configure server is web client)

Happy2Play

Well it is a matter of clicking the gear in the top right for dashboard or clicking the three line on the top left to get to the different views.  It is still the web client/interface.

Edited by Happy2Play

Yeah, one is simply the interface for configuration and the other for browsing/remote control.  You use the remote control interface to send messages.

Yeah, one is simply the interface for configuration and the other for browsing/remote control.  You use the remote control interface to send messages.

I find that as a admin for my server I don't want to have remote control functions showing up for all my users under my profile. I think the settings/server information page for an admin would be the perfect place for sending global messages or specific user messages as this is where I always look to see who's connected and what they are currently watching.

A context menu on the tiles for active sessions would be nice - send a message, remote control, force off, etc.

• Like 1