All content dropping frames

rbknox

I'm experiencing poor quality video along with a large number of frames dropping.   Running Emby Theater 3.0.1.6 on an 8th gen Intel machine w Windows 10, Server 4.7.8.0 is on 9th gen Intel machine also running Windows 10.   I've attached v (video stats) and a (audio stats) screenshots of various content, showing significant frame drops, as well the server log files. 

The content covers live TV (HDHR Prime), recorded TV (HDHR), BD mkv movie and UHD mkv movie.   All the non-live content is on the Windows 10 Server.  For comparison, the HDHR content appears much better when I run the HDHR playback app on the same client.   Also, JRiver on same client plays both BD and UHD content near flawlessly with only the occasional (over several minutes) frame drop.  Theater settings are mostly set to Auto; I have tried playing around with various settings with no noticeable change.  

Appreciate any insights, thanks.

uhda.png

uhdv.png

bda.png

bdv.png

tvreca.png

tvrecv.png

tv720a.png

tv720v.png

hardware_detection-63802651123.txt embyserver-63802684800.txt

It all looks noticeably bad at times.   UHD and TV in particular can be jerky.   Sometimes frame drops are lower, but sometimes they are in the 10,000s when I check.  Playback quality on the other software is much better.  Are you saying that it is all working properly?  

Edited by rbknox

Video quality on HDHR noticeable when panning -- get choppy transitions (because frames are being dropped).  Also, audio is out in front of video - this does not happen with the aforementioned apps on the same client.   Finally, when playing a mkv, there is not audio initially.  To get the audio to kick in, I have to skip forward or back, then it plays.

Everything is set to Auto, I believe Enable Open GL high quality profile was selected, most recently.  And I've tried toggling Refresh rate switching.  I was hoping you might be able to tell me which settings might impact the frame drops.

Luke, I tried that build.  It didn't change anything - still getting large frame drop numbers and choppy video.  The 4k test produced a C++ Assertion error but Live, shows and bd all were much the same.

1 hour ago, rbknox said:

Luke, I tried that build.  It didn't change anything - still getting large frame drop numbers and choppy video.  The 4k test produced a C++ Assertion error but Live, shows and bd all were much the same.

Can you try enabling the gpu renderer? It's the first option on the video settings screen. Thanks.

Okay, with GPU renderer some definite improvement.  TV / Recorded TV are still dropping frames, but a lower rate.  TV quality seems okay - so far no noticeable visual issues.   BD and UHD are not dropping frames at all and look very good.  The UHD play error (from this build) is gone so no problem there.  Audio appears to be working right away (without having to skip first).  I did notice that sometimes audio drops out when skipping forward, but it comes back.  Audio / video sync (video delay) is better - definitely for BD/UHD - will need to check TV again.

How is GPU mode different in this build?   

Thanks, 

Edited by rbknox

How is GPU mode different in this build?   

Do you mean compared to the release build? It's primarily just an updated version of mpv, which is the embedded video player.

5 minutes ago, rbknox said:

I meant that I wasn't seeing the results I am seeing now on the release build, even when I tried the GPU renderer mode ...

Got it. That could be due to the newer mpv build that is embedded. We're hoping to tag a new release build soon.