Samsung Tizen v1.4.6 lets hang the screen after approx. 2-5 minutes

Peter Nent

Peter Nent

As European Emby - Samsung Tizen user, we are (unfortunately) forced to delete the Emby program on our Samsung TV every month, re-download the latest version and install via USB....besides that this is very tedious work, the last 'upgrade' introduced a NEW problem: after months of issue-free working, the latest upgrade v1.4.6 introduced the issue that every 2-5 minutes the screen freezes up, the colored circle runs...wait...wait...wait and after minutes of waiting, the movie continues....for another 2-5 minutes....and again...again... HELP. (TV: Samsung UE43AU8002KXXH (aprox. 6 months old), I'm running Emby server v4.6.7.0 (and not the latest v4.7.8.x) due to compatibility issues, which works OK sofar))

I've attached the Embyserver log file...could you please solve this issue ?

Thanks & best regards, Peter

embyserver.txt

Edited by Peter Nent

Peter Nent

After receiving your ultrafast response (!), I immediately checked this by disabling subtitles....and the problem is gone ! great, although that isn't the final solution I guess ?

Please let me know what to do to help you solving this issues !

Grtz, Peter

• Like 1

Peter Nent
rkkeller
3 hours ago, Peter Nent said:

As European Emby - Samsung Tizen user, we are (unfortunately) forced to delete the Emby program on our Samsung TV every month, re-download the latest version and install via 

Why do you have to do that as I have a Samsung 4k with Tizen and everything updates once they push any updates I am pretty sure.  I have never manually updated any apps on it and been using it 2-3 years now.

Peter Nent

Dear RKkeller,

Although this question from you has nothing to do with this issue (...), it sure is a good question about this very anoying USB-install every month....: as far as I know, has this to do with the 'registration' of EMBY in the Samsung Play Store for Europe (and mayby other countries as well?) by the EMBY organisation, and as as I remember as longterm EMBY - Samsung user, this is already a 'hot wish' of many European users and in (too) many cases the reason, they even sometimes step over from Emby to Plex of others, as they are available in de Samsung Play Store.....

I can't think of any other reason then somebody (how?) who invests a lot of time registering EMBY by Samsung Play Store and/or money ?....or is there any other reason ? Are you (RKKELLER) able to help Emby doing this ?

Edited by Peter Nent

Are you able to work out which of these is for the specific playback that failed when subs were on, but worked with DirectPlay.

There's a whole mix of stuff in theses logs such as bitrate limits being set (10Mb/s) and incompatible container (.wtv). I can't work out which is the one for your issue from above.

I would suggest

• Take note of the current time
  • Turn on debug logging
  • Run the log rotate task in Tasks
  • Test the file with subs on
  • Test the files with subs off before playback
  • Run the log rotate task again
  • Turn off debug logging if it was off previously

Send the logs created since time logged ate the start of the tests.

If there are multiple issues we can work through them, but it will be easier to work through one at a time.

Peter Nent

I experimented a lot finding out myselves what would be the nature of this issue....= self services...!, I realise that this is all logged and made finding the reason for you complex unfortunately....I'm sorry.

Tomorrow night, I'll will setup a new test following your instructions, please be patient  (I have to work tomorrow).

Greatz, Peter  

Peter Nent

Dear Sames,

Just tested exactly as you instructed above: see attached files.

After switching subtitles on, playing a video stopped after a few minutes...., after swithching this option off, it simply didn't stop...

Please have a look at them & try to find the source of this issue. If you need more info, please tell me !

ffmpeg-transcode-dfc42ba5-b34d-450e-99d3-1793772a5af2_1.txt embyserver (1).txt embyserver-63802842988.txt

Looking at the ffmpeg log, it is not showing that the file has subtitles. 

Can you please refresh the metadata on that movie and do another quick test? 

Either it will find the subtitle stream, or it will remove it from the playback options if subs really don't exist

Peter Nent

Can you please paste the media details from the server for this file “2016.24 BB - Pool.mkv"?

According to these logs, this file doesn’t have subtitles. 

You can also try leaving subs off, but in the playback quality settings, drop the bitrate down to 6Mb/s or lower to force it to transcode. 

If you do that, does it continue playing, or does it still fail even without subs?

• 4 weeks later...
Peter Nent

Tested version 1.48 today, but unfortunately, this issue seems to be not gone/solved: depending on the sort of video, it hangs within 2-5 minutes at certain video's.

To compare: last few weeks, I used a Chromecast Ultra at my Samsung smartTV: without any issue....now I returned back to the Tizen version 1.48, the issue came back/stll existed.

In other postings on this Emby/Samsung sub-forum, I recognise that other users are also having issues, thus I'll wait or the solution. (and use the Chromecast Ultra in the meantime).

Could you indicate the nature of this issue ? or has it something to do with the version of Emby server: 4.6.7.0 (I decided to not upgrade to 4.7.x.x because that new version doesn't support MCE anymore)

Like to read your feedback !

Peter Nent

I realise that that is maybe the source of this issue: as we are using Microsoft MCE still on 2 systems, we cannot upgrade to 4.7.x as MCE will stop working, but notice that Samsung Tizen worked perfectly until appox. mid. october: I geuss that the Tizen upgrade of oktober (?) introduced this issue, is that possible ? 

(NOTE: other Emby devices are still working perfectly with Emby 4.6.7.0, such as Chomecast, MCE, Android, Kodi, Web-interface....I'm only having issues with the Samsung Tizen client v1.4.6 + v1.4.8.)

Grtrz, Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Peter Nent

in the past few days, I've investigated matters as with Emby server v4.6.7.0 everything works very fine on al my devices, except on Emby for Tizen v1.48 on the Samsung SmartTV: it also works fine, except if it has to transcode: then it stop within 2-5 minutes with a round, colored circle waiting after 2-5 minutes.....

To put it simple: if all my devices were having troubles, I would follow your suggestion to use the newer Emby server v4.7.x, but all devices run just fine, also transcoding: no problem, only Emby Tizen v1.4.8 on my Samsung Smart TV is having trouble with transcoding (direct played also works fine).....

I simple see that the combination of Emby for tizen v1.4.8 and Samsung smartTV is having problems with transcoding.......  In the meantime, I tested enabled/disabled several options-settings, (also disable subtitles), but nothing seems to help solving this issue.....looking back, I realise that upto v1.4.5, everything worked fine, this issue started at v1.4.6 or 1.4.7....

HELP...

Grtz, Peter

I would try resetting customizations back to defaults and see if that helps:

>>>>> Non-Default Encoder Parameters Warning EncoderParametersH264LibX.Preset: Original: veryfast Actual: medium

• 2 weeks later...
Peter Nent

Upgraded to v1.4.9 with the 'Fixed HLS subtitles not rendering correctly on certain models'....this seems to solve this issue as well..... I'll closely follow this in de coming days and inform you in more details ASAP.

Grtz. Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1