Roku autoplay next episode has suddenly stopped working

Jdmoody1980

• 2 weeks later...
myazmj2k

had the same issue after updating to server 4.7.8, downgraded to 4.7.6 and auto-play started working as expected again. Only my roku clients had the issue, android was fine.

Edited by myazmj2k

1 hour ago, myazmj2k said:

had the same issue after updating to server 4.7.8, downgraded to 4.7.6 and auto-play started working as expected again. Only my roku clients had the issue, android was fine.

Hi.  The fix for this will be in the 4.8x beta line.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
gerry.emm

Hi everyone...

I am running EMBY Premiere 4.7.11.

I have a 32 in TCL Roku and a 40 in TCL Roku TVs.  I have an nVidia Shield Pro on our MAIN entertainment system.

BOTH TCL tvs are currently doing exactly that, stalling on a black screen and will not advance to the next episode automatically.  The problem does NOT exist with the nVidia based system.  After reading through this post, the last entry says the problem is supposed to have been addressed in EMBY Server v 4.7.8.

Could someone please advise what would be required for me to provide in order to troubleshoot the issue?

Thanks in advance all!!!

Gerry

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gerry.emm said:

the last entry says the problem is supposed to have been addressed in EMBY Server v 4.7.8.

Hi.  No, it says it will be addressed in server 4.8.x.  Thanks.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:36 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  The fix for this will be in the 4.8x beta line.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, luser said:

I'm running version 4.8.0.28. This problem still occurs.

@softworkzhas the fix for this (bad segment at the end) not made it into the beta builds?

11 hours ago, luser said:

I'm running version 4.8.0.28. This problem still occurs.

Hi.  Can we please look at a fresh example and explain exactly what is happening?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
JDMoody

Roku app and the new latest beta build of server still have problems advancing at times. 

If it fails to advance pressing the right arrow, direction on the remote starts the next episode. In the attached screenshots, you can see where it thinks it ended the episode but it doesn't start the new episode. When you press the right arrow button it then ends the episode again and starts the next episode. 

Screenshot_20230619-120512.png

Screenshot_20230619-120504.png

Screenshot_20230619-120433.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
JDMoody

Any updates to this? It is becoming very irritating. Last night it stopped advancing at least 10 times. 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 10:16 AM, JDMoody said:

Any updates to this? It is becoming very irritating. Last night it stopped advancing at least 10 times. 

HI, we are looking into this. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
rotational467

Wife noticed this happening tonight after not seeing it for some time.  Server 4.8.0.40 and Roku client 4.0.85.

I didn't start using 4.8 until around 4.8.0.36 and haven't tracked Roku client updates.  Sorry I can't be more specific but it stopped happening some months back.  Can't say for certainty that it started again with 4.8.0.40 or not, but that was the last change I am aware of.

ffmpeg-transcode-e42f09f4-1951-4be1-9147-d4ebdc735620_1.txt embyserver.txt

On 8/8/2023 at 9:47 PM, rotational467 said:

Wife noticed this happening tonight after not seeing it for some time.  Server 4.8.0.40 and Roku client 4.0.85.

I didn't start using 4.8 until around 4.8.0.36 and haven't tracked Roku client updates.  Sorry I can't be more specific but it stopped happening some months back.  Can't say for certainty that it started again with 4.8.0.40 or not, but that was the last change I am aware of.

ffmpeg-transcode-e42f09f4-1951-4be1-9147-d4ebdc735620_1.txt 160.52 kB · 1 download embyserver.txt 5.88 MB · 1 download

Hi, can you please describe what happened? Thanks.

rotational467
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi, can you please describe what happened? Thanks.

The episode plays to completion, but never finishes - both the client and the server will indicate that the playback position is the end of the file (see screenshots on page 1 of this thread) but playback doesn't end, and therefore the next episode never starts.

Just upgraded to beta server .41 so won't know for a day or two if this is still happening, as it is it doesn't happen every time.

JDMoody

Can confirm auto advance feature is still not fully functional on beta .41 . Still has the same random issues. Sometimes it will advance, sometimes it stops the episode with 1 second remaining. It happens totally randomly. One day it will advance almost flawlessly, others every other episode, or sometimes just one or 2 episodes. Even when you watch the same exact series of videos, the advancing seems random. 

• Agree 1

pwhodges
8 hours ago, JDMoody said:

sometimes it stops the episode with 1 second remaining

This happens to me regularly when transcoding (long reported, but still happening).  I do not have play next episode automatically set.

Paul

54 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I do not have play next episode automatically set.

The issue here doesn't really have anything to do with autoplay or next episodes.  That is just the most likely situation in which people will encounter it.  It has everything to do with HLS and the very finicky Roku video player.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

pwhodges
1 hour ago, ebr said:

It has everything to do with HLS and the very finicky Roku video player.

In my case I see the stopping with 0.1 seconds (sometimes 0.0!) with the web client...

Paul

On 8/8/2023 at 9:47 PM, rotational467 said:

ffmpeg-transcode-e42f09f4-1951-4be1-9147-d4ebdc735620_1.txt 160.52 kB · 2 downloads embyserver.txt 5.88 MB · 1 download

As a test, does it happen with software transcoding?

rotational467

@LukeI will try to find an opportunity to do a controlled test.  It's not out of the question, I did switch from software back to hardware encoding starting with 4.8.0.40 and the fix for PGS subs.  I don't think I've ever disabled hardware decoding.

3 hours ago, rotational467 said:

@LukeI will try to find an opportunity to do a controlled test.  It's not out of the question, I did switch from software back to hardware encoding starting with 4.8.0.40 and the fix for PGS subs.  I don't think I've ever disabled hardware decoding.

HI, that would be great, thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
DaOfficialRolex

I can confirm that this is indeed still a issue with software encoding. As I have burn in ssa subs on for formatted subs font to show up. I even got the issue sometimes with hardware encoding on. However it was a hit or a miss with HW encoding on. This is on the latest emby beta server as well

• Thanks 1