Intel Arc GPU Support

darrenkdean

darrenkdean

Would like to request GPU transcoding support for the Intel ARC A770 GPU cards if not already in the works?  With Intel getting serious about mid market (reasonably affordable) GPU's & the ability to work in tandem with the onboard Intel GPU (Intel Deep Link Technologies).

I managed to pick up an Intel ARC A770 yesterday & installed it on our Emby Server (loaded all of the ubuntu drivers, etc.) but Emby Server is not recognizing the Arc A770 as a transcoding option.  I'm assuming that support has not yet been added to it?

We run a docker setup & we're happy to run beta testing if that would be helpful.

Server: Ubuntu Server 22.04.1 LTS, Docker, NVME, i9 11900K, 128GB DDR4, Intel Arc A770 16GB     Storage: 2x Synology DS1821+, 90TB, 10GbE SFP+ 
Network: Ubiquiti 10GbE     Clients:  Fire Stick 4K & 4K Max, Roku, LG & Samsung Smart TV's

Best-

Darren

image.thumb.png.0bdf6d3583801483cb678677d9d6338f.png

Edited by darrenkdean
  • Like 2

rbjtech

There are a few threads on this already - maybe do a search to find them - but in summary, as you have already ascertained - there is no AV1 support yet - but support is there for h264/5 - on Windows anyway.

darrenkdean
22 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

There are a few threads on this already - maybe do a search to find them - but in summary, as you have already ascertained - there is no AV1 support yet - but support is there for h264/5 - on Windows anyway.

Yes, have dug thru most all of the threads I can find by searching on Intel Arc. VP1 aside (not hardware supported yet within Emby), I would think the Arc A770 should be showing up in the list of transcode options perhaps under VAAPI.  This may have nothing to do with Emby though & may perhaps be a docker issue.  Was more curious if there were any limitations on the Emby Server side that would prevent us from installing/testing/playing with transcoding with the Intel Arc cards &/or if anyone had gotten one of the Arc cards successfully running & transcoding.

I'm very happy with Intel Quick Sync on the UHD 750 & not looking to replace it, but rather augment it as a failover / future proofing / option for bottlenecking (should it occur).

Edited by darrenkdean

rbjtech
9 minutes ago, darrenkdean said:

Yes, have dug thru most all of the threads I can find by searching on Intel Arc. VP1 aside (not hardware supported yet within Emby), I would think the Arc A770 should be showing up in the list of transcode options perhaps under VAAPI.  This may have nothing to do with Emby though & may perhaps be a docker issue.  Was more curious if there were any limitations on the Emby Server side that would prevent us from installing/testing/playing with transcoding with the Intel Arc cards &/or if anyone had gotten one of the Arc cards successfully running & transcoding.

I'm very happy with Intel Quick Sync on the UHD 750 & not looking to replace it, but rather augment it as a failover / future proofing / option for bottlenecking (should it occur).

Yep, somebody has an A380 transcoding just fine - let me try and find the thread - searching on these forums is not great I agree .. 🤪

user is @VirulentPip ..

found it - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/111541-pre-encoding-vs-transcoding/page/2/

Edited by rbjtech

darrenkdean
22 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Yep, somebody has an A380 transcoding just fine - let me try and find the thread - searching on these forums is not great I agree .. 🤪

user is @VirulentPip ..

found it - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/111541-pre-encoding-vs-transcoding/page/2/

Thank you!  That's helpful.  Step 1 then is to get Emby Server to see the GPU in the docker container.

darrenkdean

Notes for anyone else that tries this:

• Issues:
    • Unable to get Emby Server (Docker Container) to see the Arc A770.  Only transcoding options were Quick Sync UHD 750 & VAAPI UHD 750.  Multiple attempts made over a 2 - 3 day period.
    • For reasons unknown, even though the default transcoding options were not changed & remained as Quick Sync UHD 750, HDR10 hardware transcoding started failing, & caused Emby to software transcode 1080p HEVC HDR10 content (85%+ CPU utilization for 1 stream).  The only observable failure, was on HDR10 content.
      • Physically removing the Arc A770 & rebooting the machine, corrected the issue & allowed Emby to utilize hardware transcoding for HDR10 content once again (CPU, less than 2%)

• Conclusion: Will give Intel a couple of months to continue work on drivers, as IMO, the igpu's ability to use quick synch & transcode HDR10 content should not have been impacted by having a dgpu installed & available to the OS.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/30/2022 at 3:37 AM, darrenkdean said:

Conclusion: Will give Intel a couple of months to continue work on drivers, as IMO, the igpu's ability to use quick synch & transcode HDR10 content should not have been impacted by having a dgpu installed & available to the OS.

This actually goes on us. We haven't integrated the oneVPL runtime yet, but it's on our to-do list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, RedWings said:

Hello, have you integrated Intel ARC GPU in Emby ?

HI, we are working on it. Thanks.

• Like 1

fridgefins
8 minutes ago, fridgefins said:

linux

though honestly it still might be related to my config since I'm running alpine which is not officially supported by Intel at this time.

fridgefins

Awesome, this is good to know.  I run the beta so I'll keep an eye on it.  still not sure i have every set up right, but got the os and emby seeing the card and have vaapi support according to vainfo, so hopefully the future update will be the missing piece.

• 3 months later...
Gecko
On 11/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, softworkz said:

This actually goes on us. We haven't integrated the oneVPL runtime yet, but it's on our to-do list.

Hi softworkz, if I use oneVPL instead of intel_media_gpu on Linux for an igpu, would it work with the current beta or the intégration you mention is mandatory for it?

41 minutes ago, Gecko said:

Hi softworkz, if I use oneVPL instead of intel_media_gpu on Linux for an igpu, would it work with the current beta or the intégration you mention is mandatory for it?

oneVPL vs. MSDK is not something where you have a choice. There's only one CPU generation which is supported by both anyway.

But oneVPL support has recently be added to the beta, so you should be good anyway.

Gecko
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

oneVPL vs. MSDK is not something where you have a choice. There's only one CPU generation which is supported by both anyway.

But oneVPL support has recently be added to the beta, so you should be good anyway.

Thanks for the fast reply but could you explain a little bit more what you mean by no choice?

I still have to test on my side but i installed Intel-media-driver « iHD » for an Alder-Lake CPU to enable quicksync support for transcoding in emby and I just read that oneVPL was a newer alternative to iHD ; given that this new solution was supported as shown here

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneVPL

but maybe I did not understood properly what this is about…

Emby includes all that stuff and uses it, no matter what you install on the machine.

• 9 months later...
logandzwon

Is the a380 supported now? 

I just put a a380 into an Ubuntu 24.04 running 4.9 beta ( lscr.io/linuxserver/emby:beta ) . Emby setting shows "QuickSync DG2 Arc A380" with check marks for both encoding and decoding. However, everything I've tried to transcode seems to be getting done in CPU. intel-gpu-top show 0% usage. 

19 minutes ago, logandzwon said:

Is the a380 supported now? 

I just put a a380 into an Ubuntu 24.04 running 4.9 beta ( lscr.io/linuxserver/emby:beta ) . Emby setting shows "QuickSync DG2 Arc A380" with check marks for both encoding and decoding. However, everything I've tried to transcode seems to be getting done in CPU. intel-gpu-top show 0% usage. 

Do you have an Emby Premiere subscription and entered your key in the server installation?

Otherwise, please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

PS: Please create a new topic

Edited by softworkz