Failed to Connect Remotely??

DarrenClimie-Newman

DarrenClimie-Newman

Hi.

Are there any issues with remote access at present?

I've used it for years, but for some reason connecting remotely just fails.

I'm connecting using Emby Connect, login credentials are correct, port forwarding is correct on my router, yet it still fails.

When I sign in with Emby Connect, it sometimes just takes me to the screen on my android device to 'select server', it usually populates with the external IP and port address, but it's only showing my local 192 address???

I'm running the latest version on my QNAP NAS, and running Emby on my Samsung S21 Mobile device.

My only work around at present, is to connect to my NAS via VPN, and run Emby as if it were local!

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

Darren 

DarrenClimie-Newman

Here is my configuration:

Remote IP and port as per my router.

User is allowed to make remote connections

Emby server on latest version

Router has the QNAP NAS IP address under port forwarding settings

Screenshot_20221026-125712_Emby.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-125745_Emby.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-125834_Chrome.jpg

DarrenClimie-Newman

So here is something that suggests the system is caching an old server name?!

I deleted my user account, and reset myself up for remote access using Emby Connect. When I set up the new user, I get the email to confirm my Emby Account Link. When I accept the link, the Web page says :

Emby Account Link Accepted

The server Darren is now linked to your Emby Account.

However, my server isn't called 'Darren', that's a very old server name I used, see below current server name from the Dashboard.... Anyone with any ideas why it's not linking my server to my Emby Connect Account??

You can also see the only server it's giving me to connect to is one called 'Darren', which no longer exists, and only with an Internal IP?!

Confused.com!

Screenshot_20221026-131402_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221026_131450.jpg

Screenshot_20221026-131321_Emby.jpg

DarrenClimie-Newman

I've just logged in remotely with my other user, that my wife and I use. The log in is correct, because it doesn't give me a failed log in screen, but only presents me with the Select Server screen.

This user has 4 servers, 3 called 'Darren' and one called 'Darren's Emby Media Service', all of which are old. 3 are external IPs and one is an internal IP....... something isn't adding up!

Screenshot_20221026-192014_Emby.jpg

Hi, have you tried deleting the old ones by tapping and holding, then selecting Delete Server from the context menu?

Beyond that, please try doing a new server connection and entering the server address manually. Let us know if that helps you get connected. Thanks.

DarrenClimie-Newman

@Luke - I deleted all old servers, and it doesnt help. When I add server manually, it just tells me connection failed (below).

I've also done a screen recording, of signing in with Emby Connect, and it doesn't return any server to connect to??

Nothing has changed in my set up. In fact, I was on holiday in the Dominican 2 weeks ago, and I was streaming from my NAS in the UK, with this same user no problem....

Port forwarding is OK, because I can VPN into the same NAS server, just on port 443.

Screenshot_20221026-211649_Emby.jpg

OK let's focus on the manual server connection, because that needs to work before anything else.

I would suggest checking out our Connection Troubleshooter:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

DarrenClimie-Newman

Internal is fine. When I open Emby, it shows me all uses that should be visible from 'on network' and logging in with any user is fine.

When turning off WiFi on my mobile, and trying to connect via IP address in a browser, I'm not getting any response.

Just now, DarrenClimie-Newman said:

Internal is fine. When I open Emby, it shows me all uses that should be visible from 'on network' and logging in with any user is fine.

When turning off WiFi on my mobile, and trying to connect via IP address in a browser, I'm not getting any response.

Can you please go through the entire troubleshooting doc? Thanks.

DarrenClimie-Newman
2 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you please go through the entire troubleshooting doc? Thanks.

I have...? Internal is not a problem, so I've skipped the step. I've then tried the external connection points, by trying the external IP in a browser on my device with WiFi turned off....

Am I missing something?

DarrenClimie-Newman

I've just looked through the remote setup section, and tried the canyouseeme.org website. 

It doesn't appear my router is visible even on port 80.

I disabled my firewall on my router completely, and got the same result....?! Looks like I need to investigate why my router isn't visble on the internet

Screenshot_20221026-214827_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DarrenClimie-Newman

Are you sure you have the correct remote address when trying to connect? Are you sure the port forwarding rule has the correct LAN address of the server machine?

1 minute ago, DarrenClimie-Newman said:

I've just looked through the remote setup section, and tried the canyouseeme.org website. 

It doesn't appear my router is visible even on port 80.

I disabled my firewall on my router completely, and got the same result....?! Looks like I need to investigate why my router isn't visble on the internet

Screenshot_20221026-214827_Chrome.jpg

Why does port 80 matter? Your port forwarding rule is not using port 80.

DarrenClimie-Newman

Port 80 should hit the router, no?

Yes port forwarding is all correct, like I said, I was streaming to the Dominican from the UK just over a week ago.

3 minutes ago, DarrenClimie-Newman said:

Port 80 should hit the router, no?

Yes port forwarding is all correct, like I said, I was streaming to the Dominican from the UK just over a week ago.

Based on your screenshot, you are using port 8096 on the router, and forwarding that to 8096 on the server machine. Therefore port 80 is not involved. I can't tell you if port 80 should work with canyouseeme or not. That depends on your port forwarding setup and whether or not your ISP allows use of that port, and you've actually got something receiving and responding to canyouseeme on the server machine.

Back on topic. What exactly did you enter when trying to do a manual connection?

DarrenClimie-Newman

Ignore port 80, that's a red herring.... when I went to that website, it picked up my external IP and added port 80.

Port forwarding is set to 8096 internal and external:

Screenshot_20221026_213707.jpg

DarrenClimie-Newman

I think my router is possibly causing me the problem... apparently my server is connected on 2 router ports with different IP address, one static (I set), and one DHCP:

Screenshot_20221026_220725.jpg

Yea I think you'll want to figure that out. Like perhaps try to access the server web interface from a smart phone. See what ip address you need to use to do that.

DarrenClimie-Newman

Right... explain this...

Port 2 on my router is connected to my Samsung Smartthings Hub. According to my router, port 2 is my QNAP server on 192.168.1.120 (DHCP).

I've just pulled the cable out of port 2, and I can connect remote straight away.... ?!