Guide - SSL Qnap certificate and Emby (manual and automatic)

dieffe70

dieffe70

As many may know connecting Emby to QNAP SSL Let's Encrypt certificate require some coding and this as been discussed many times here..
I wanted to do a  collection of what I've found and best solution form me.
I will give a manual mode that require to be repeated every three months and an automatic mode that uses crontab

REQUIREMENTS:
- Let's encrypt certificate on your QNAP, working and autoupdating
- Ability to SSH to your QNAP
- root access (sudo) or anyway an user that can use command with elevated privileges

-----------------MANUAL MODE----------------------------

SSH to your NAS then:

1 - reach cert path (99% should be the same for all):

cd /etc/config/QcloudSSLCertificate/cert

2 - create a p12 cert version

openssl pkcs12 -export -out emby.p12 -inkey key -in cert -passout pass:

note1: if you are not root/admin user you'll need to put sudo before the command (given your account have privileges to do so)
note2: if you leave pass: you'll have no password set, otherwise you can write pass:mypwd where 'mypwd' is whatever you prefer

3 - on Emby settings > network in custom cert field

/etc/config/QcloudSSLCertificate/cert/emby.p12

4 - put certificate password (if not empty at point 2)

5 - Save and restart Emby server

Note!!: you will need to do this every 3 months, because let's encrypt certificates are updated automatically by QNAP this way. So put a warning in your calendar for not forgetting.

-----------------AUTOMATIC MODE----------------------------
this is by using visual interface but you can do all this using VI editor (preinstalled in QNAP) or nano or using also SFTP to access files on qnap

A - whereever on the nas with file station or from windwos ora else.. create a folder and call it as you prefer (I used CustomScripts as from sources)
To obtain the 'real PATHTOSCRIPTFOLDER' needed for script you need to add /share/ to the path you see in file manager,
for example: if you created folder in Archive/myfiles/CustomScripts then your pathtoscriptfolder is /share/Archive/myfiles/CustomScripts

B - with text editor (e.g. notepad on windows) create a .sh file named as you prefer (used CertRenewPKSC12.sh as from source... filename for reference..) and copy inside this code 

now="$(date)"
[[ -z `find cert -mmin -60` ]] 
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then 
  echo "Certificate key has not changed - $now" > pathtoscriptfolder/check-pfx.log
else
  /etc/config/QcloudSSLCertificate/cert openssl pkcs12 -export -out emby.p12 -inkey key -in cert -passout pass:
  echo "Created new certificate.pfx at $now" > pathtoscriptfolder/check-pfx.log
fi

note1: change pathtoscriptfolder with your full path to folder (see point A)
note2: on line 8 if you leave pass: you'll have no password set, otherwise you can write pass:mypwd where 'mypwd' is whatever you prefer

C - open the folder (in file station and drag and drop the .sh file created at point A
(you can anyway modify it after using for example tex editor app directly from qnap web interface)

D - SSH to your NAS

1) Run for giving correct permission to script

chmod +x pathtoscriptfolder/filename

(for example: chmod +x /share/Archive/CustomScripts/CertRenewPKSC12.sh

2) Run for not having issues with unix/dos file ending

dos2unix pathtoscriptfolder/filename

3) test your script (go in the script folder to see if a log is generated)

/bin/sh pathtoscriptfolder/filename

4) set your timing for script execution via crontab (go to https://crontab.guru/ for help in understanding timing)
your code can be something like: 0 19 * * * /bin/sh pathtoscriptfolder/filename
meaning: execute CertRenewPKSC12.sh every day at 19.00

5) Write your crontab in your general QNAP crontab list

echo "0 19 * * * /bin/sh pathtoscriptfolder/filename" >> /etc/config/crontab

6) restart your crontab

crontab /etc/config/crontab && /etc/init.d/crond.sh restart

7) verify crontab is in (should be the last)

crontab -l

for any detail about crontab in qnap look at https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Add_items_to_crontab

All cudos goes to all the people who found those solution. I only collected them all
Main source: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/67479-how-to-connect-emby-through-qnap-letsencrypt-certificate/
Feel free to report me any error/suggestion
Have fun 😉

Edited by dieffe70
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, dieffe70 said:

is it possible to keep the post editable?

Good day,

Sorry to say that not possible, they are time limited to edit your post, but you can report the post you need to modify explaining what need to be done, and our mod's team will do that for you, thanks.

My best

• 6 months later...
martinhorvat75

Hello

Get this error massage

[/mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/QcloudSSLCertificate/cert] # openssl pkcs12 -export -out emby.p12 -inkey key -in cert -passout pass:.........
Can't open key for reading, No such file or directory
139639876617984:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69:fopen('key','r')
139639876617984:error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76:
unable to load private key

Pleas help , what im doing wrong.

Regrads

Edited by martinhorvat75
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2023 at 3:11 PM, TDriver said:

Unfortunately, the instructions are out of date and no longer work under QuTS

How so? Can you help update them?

• 2 weeks later...
dieffe70

Hi there, Sorry for late reply.
I don't use QuTS but as far as I know is always based on linux kernel with changes to filesystem and else. so in my opinion if the code works on normal QTS it should work also on QuTS.
May be there have been changes in folder structure but this must be checked when customizing script.

The code anyway could give some problem so I changed it a bit.
Please remember that the cronjob timing should be LOWER than the last modified time check in the script.
For example in my script I check if the file has been changed in the last one day [  -mtime -1  ] and my cronjob runs every 22 hours.
Remember to change pathtoscriptfolder with the full path to your script.
Alll other instructions are stll the same

now="$(date)"
[[ -z `find cert -mtime -1` ]] 
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then 
  echo "Certificate key has not changed - $now" > pathtoscriptfolder/check-pfx.log
else
  openssl pkcs12 -export -out emby.p12 -inkey key -in cert -passout pass:
  echo "Created new certificate.pfx at $now" > pathtoscriptfolder/check-pfx.log
fi

• Thanks 1

dieffe70
On 4/28/2023 at 7:17 PM, martinhorvat75 said:

Hello

Get this error massage

[/mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/QcloudSSLCertificate/cert] # openssl pkcs12 -export -out emby.p12 -inkey key -in cert -passout pass:.........
Can't open key for reading, No such file or directory
139639876617984:error:02001002:system library:fopen:No such file or directory:crypto/bio/bss_file.c:69:fopen('key','r')
139639876617984:error:2006D080:BIO routines:BIO_new_file:no such file:crypto/bio/bss_file.c:76:
unable to load private key

Pleas help , what im doing wrong.

Regrads

run the code from inside the cert folder and verify you have a cert file and a key file inside it

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you could get around this by using swag, NPM (would not recommend and if you are using I'd strongly suggest you migrate out of it because the gaping holes found that have not been patched because it's a one man team working on the next version) or, my preferred option, traefik.  I made a post explaining how to use traefik for this, reverse proxy and other stuff you can find if you search my profile.