Emby Premium and Kodi

TecEmbryo

TecEmbryo

I only came across EMBY a very short time ago because I wanted to integrate other media players and the databases should be synchronous.

So far I am very satisfied and am thinking of switching to Premium, also because such projects simply deserve and need the financial support of the users.

Question: Can I use all EMBY Premium content, especially the cinema mode, with Kodi as well, or is that only reserved for Emby solo?

At the moment I also have the problem that after removing films or series from the EMBY database, Kodi ignores them or keeps a transparent field, like a placeholder - does this work better with Premium?

And it happens that after a manual syncro or database repair, suddenly there are only covers in a category, no playable content.

Could this be due to the missing Kodi Companian Addon, which is only available with Premium?

Data protection - I'm the fully paranoid type, which is why I wouldn't use PLEX or TrackTV, for example.

Does Emby track, store or trace my activities on my server in any way? The usage behaviour? Are logs stored, of the activities?

This question arises from the information the server gives me on the settings page, nice but also disturbing to see what is stored there in the web interface. This is great for error analysis but hopefully only available locally. I will never understand people who have to distribute everything over the net.

So, does anything go through external EMBY servers or does EVERYTHING only happen locally on my network?

Maybe someone can answer my questions. Thanks and greetings

quickmic

I can only speak for emby-next-gen plugin for Kodi:

especially the cinema mode

Yes, cinema mode is supported (this is a Premium feature). Also live TV, skip intro etc. is supported

Could this be due to the missing Kodi Companian Addon, which is only available with Premium?

Yes, Kodi companion is required especially when you remove content, but Kodi companion is not a Premium feature.

So, does anything go through external EMBY servers or does EVERYTHING only happen locally on my network?

Only on local network as long as you don't use plugins like trakt or configure Emby for internet access etc.

Emby is a standalone server based system.

Content metadata is downloaded from internet (moviedb etc), but not uploading content or profiles

btw, even this could be disabled.

Finally, if you use next-gen plugin, try the latest 7.x. versions (only for Kodi 19+)

@Luke

Any comments from your side?

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

TecEmbryo
6 hours ago, quickmic said:

Kodi companion is not a Premium feature.

Ok, thanks, then I was told wrong.
Ok Found and install now- Thanks for Idea

Only on local network as long as you don't use plugins like trakt or configure Emby for internet access etc.

Thank you, that reassures me.
There is a registered API key for track.TV in the Emby skin "Embuary". Should I delete it to avoid any risk?

Content metadata is downloaded from internet (moviedb etc), but not uploading content or profiles

Thats now clear, thanks

Finally, if you use next-gen plugin, try the latest 7.x. versions (only for Kodi 19+)

Done.

Edited by TecEmbryo
  • Like 1

quickmic
5 hours ago, TecEmbryo said:

There is a registered API key for track.TV in the Emby skin "Embuary". Should I delete it to avoid any risk?

I don't know the exact functionalities of Embuary skin. I'm using a different skin.

Anyway I assume you can remove the trakt api key, but usually you need a trakt account to sync watched content (a personal api-key). So not sure what Embuary skin actually does with this key.

I only used Embuary skin for test cases. If you install custom skins (or other 3rd party Kodi plugins) it's up to you protecting your privacy.

I can only speak for next-gen plugin/Emby server. Also if you install additional Emby-server plugins you need to review them carefully what they are actually doing.

Kodi companion plugin (on Emby server) is save. It just (locally) keeps track of the deleted content for sync reasons.

Edited by quickmic
  • Thanks 1

TecEmbryo

Thank you for a again! very detailed answer.
Sure, the responsibility is mine.
The API key seems to be a general key, it is probably used to track my series, to show me as a result which series on TV plays an episode.

With the plugins it is not so easy to find out who "calls home" and creates logs there.

The Emby server also seems to encrypt the files, it converts the paths into HashTags, so that even I can not recognize by the path, which file is behind it.

I guess you always have to make a compromise.

So thanks for the help!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/24/2022 at 6:06 PM, quickmic said:

Yes, cinema mode is supported (this is a Premium feature). Also live TV, skip intro etc. is supported

When using one of the premium features (e.g. LiveTV) that device will then count towards Emby's device limit, correct?

On 12/31/2022 at 1:54 AM, neik said:

When using one of the premium features (e.g. LiveTV) that device will then count towards Emby's device limit, correct?

@quickmic, ?

1 hour ago, quickmic said:

Not sure what you mean. Please elaborate.

If I use Emby for Kodi - Next Gen to watch LiveTV channels from the Emby Server then that device will count towards the Premiere device limit, right?

quickmic
20 hours ago, neik said:

count towards the Premiere device limit

Frankly, I don't know. I never been close to the (I think it's 25 devices) limitation. Probably a question for @Luke

e.g. Does an API call increment the limit (e.g. a syncing EPG) or must a playback been triggered?

Edited by quickmic

14 hours ago, quickmic said:

Frankly, I don't know. I never been close to the (I think it's 25 devices) limitation. Probably a question for @Luke

e.g. Does an API call increment the limit (e.g. a syncing EPG) or must a playback been triggered?

No, it's implemented in the apps so that means device limits don't apply to Emby for Kodi.