Stuttering on Video Playback (HDR, DV)

hhoverflow

hhoverflow

Hello everybody,

First of all, let me say I love Emby and I think is the best player out there. ❤️ 

I've never had any issues with it, but this week I started have a sttutering while playing the videos below. It basically freezes (images and sound) for ~1 second and then comes back. It happens every few minutes.

Android Device : nVidia Shield Pro
TV : Sony OLED XR65A90J
NAS : Synology DS918+ 
Sound : Sonos Arc + Sonos Sub + 2x Sonos One
Emby Server Version : Tested with 4.8.0.12-beta which was the one I was using and then went back to latest stable version to see if it would fix the problem.
Emby Client Version : Latest from Google Play Store for Android TV (downloaded directly on the Shield Google Play Store)
Emby User : overflow
Play Mode : Direct Play

Media : I tested 2 different ones (1 being DV, the other HDR - I thought maybe the problem was my media, so I got another one just to test)
- House.of.the.Dragon.S01E05.2160p.HMAX.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.DV.MP4.x265
- House.of.the.Dragon.S01E06.2160p.HMAX.WEB-DL.x265.10bit.HDR.DDP5.1.Atmos

I submitted the log. The time was around 08:30 to 08:35 (
Eastern Time UTC -5). All wired and ethernet connected. All devices running up to date.

I haven't changed anything on my setup and it always worked fine. I'm also not sure if the Emby Client was updated this week, as the updates happen automatically on my ShieldTV.

Things I tried to do :
- Re-install Emby server, cleanup, etc.
- Re-install Emby Android TV client
- Hard Reset ShieldTV and set up again
- Restart all devices (including NAS/router), plug-off from electric socket for 10 minutes, etc.

- Tested Playback on Plex : it worked all fine there
- Played with the following settings both on Emby and ShieldTV :
       - 
match frame rate on/off
       - match resolution
       - enable/disable Dolby Sound on Shield TV
       - enable/disable passthrough

On Monday I watched the Episode 05 and everything worked fine. 
On Wednesday I tried to watch the Episode 06 (which initially was also an DV version) and the stutter happened. That's when I got the HDR version as I thought maybe was something wrong with this specific DV episode. I had the same problem with both. Then I tested the Episode 05 (which worked perfect on Monday) and the Stutter happened again.

The image quality and the sound is correct, the only problem is the stutter.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

rbjtech

Is it just this media - does all the other media play ok ?

I'm on the latest ATV Client and beta Server and I have no issues with 4K media playback.

hhoverflow
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Did your Shield happen to just update its firmware?

Not that I'm aware of. I don't remember any update from Monday to Wednesday.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e8ba2fd64a2a2531870e1aa88216695.jpeg

@Luke  I sideloaded the standard android app and will test tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

41 minutes ago, hhoverflow said:

Not that I'm aware of. I don't remember any update from Monday to Wednesday.

image.thumb.jpeg.9e8ba2fd64a2a2531870e1aa88216695.jpeg

@Luke  I sideloaded the standard android app and will test tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

That would be great, thanks !

hhoverflow
2 hours ago, Luke said:

That would be great, thanks !

I tested with the standard Android app and everything worked fine.

I also read about the idea to maintain only 1 app version for Android (the standard one), as it reduces the development time. Is it safe to assume that the standard android app is the most current up to date comparing to the Android TV app?

Like other people, I also find the Android TV app a bit more visually polished than the standard one, but I also understand that within time this might change. I also didn't get to tune the standard Android app too much as I just wanted to test. I will do that within the next days.

Is it safe/a good idea to continue using the standard Android app?

In case yes, how can I track updates to sideload the newest version? On the download website, doesn't state the current version : https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks a lot for the help everybody!

❤️ 

hhoverflow

I had the chance to see a full episode this weekend using the Android standard app and the same problem happened. :(

On my test before, I just played 30 mins and I thought it was fine. 

Proceed with testing using the 2 android for tv also, just to check and had the same problem.

Then tried with Plex to see if was not something on my network and it all worked.

-----------------

I also noticed on the Android standard app that I cannot "resume". It stays the background forever when I tried to do it. I always have to start from the beginning.