Upgrade path

nicks88
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

Hi all,

I'm a long time user of Mediabrowser 2.x (which, the only gripe I have is that the GUI performance could be better), so am pleased to heard of a new revision.

Currently, I have all my media on the same box as Mediabrowser 2. I would like to achieve the same for Mediabrowser 3 (from reading the forum posts I believe it is possible to run server and client on the same box with no issue).

Having browsed through the posts, I haven't found one yet (please correct me if I'm wrong), that suggests an upgrade path for Medibrowser 2 users. Can anyone recommend the right approarch to take? Is it possible to run the two versions in parallel?

Furthermore, I'm concious over all the metadata I have stored for my media - will this be lost/updated?

Thanks,

Yes they can both be run on the same box. If you would rather keep your metadata disable the mb3 fetcher but  remember we are now much stricter with metadata (xml structure) so you may get a few errors from your old ones. The metadata for mb3 is much richer than it used to be so I highly recommend using it.

• Solution
CBers

You can't run mb2 and mb3 on the same box, but you can run mb3 server and MBC together.

• Like 1

Thanks, but the two answers seem to contradict each other. Which is correct?

Furthermore, to upgrade - assuming I would like to use the richer metadata in MB3, would I need to remove all MB2 metadata first?

Understandably, as it's still a very new release I can appreciate if the answer is just 'try it for yourself'. If that's the case, I'll do so on a small set of files first. :-)

Cbers is right.

Some parts of my answer are right but I only partially answered your question.

server & client = media browser 3 server & media browser 3 classic

Mediabrowser 3 classic and Media browser 2  cannot co-exist but mediabrowser 3 server and mediabrowser 3 classic can be on the same box.

Hope that clarifies.

• Like 1

riverboat2001

yea i would suggest removing the old metadata.

Hi, sorry for hijacking thread!

Should i uninstall MB2 before installing MB3?

And, to remove all the old metadata, should i just search for .xml files and delete them?

Hi, sorry for hijacking thread!

Should i uninstall MB2 before installing MB3?

And, to remove all the old metadata, should i just search for .xml files and delete them?

Yes regarding xml files.

As well it best to uninstall MB2 (even it do not matters tho).

• Like 1