Playback Problems

thunderclap
Go to solution Solved by thunderclap,

thunderclap

New interesting issue. Running the latest Unraid and latest official Emby docker. I have several shows I don't want to keep, so I have them on a separate drive so their not on the array.

These files sporadically work when playing on Roku (latest firmware). You click Play and the indicator starts to spin and then it drops back to the Emby menu. Logs don't even show the title started to transcode or play or anything. However, if you do it on the Emby iOS app or on the computer through a browser the videwo plays fine. This doesn't happen with my other media located on the array.

This is where it gets strange: if I drop it to 1080p/8 the videos play fine. If I move these files to the array and off the storage drive (an SSD) they play fine without forcing playback at 1080p.

So to reiterate: most video files on storage, not array, won't play unless they're set to playback 1080p/8 or less. Videos on array play fine on auto. This only affects Roku and not iOS or web browser.

Any ideas what the problem is or how to fix it?

Edited by MarcBu

thunderclap

Roku log sent. I tried two programs: Halloween Cookie Challenge and Halloween Baking Championship. I click play, indicator spins a few seconds, and then it drops back to the Emby menu.

Time was approx. 9:55 EST. Local user name Marc.

I should note that I think this became an issue with Emby 4.7.8. 

Edited by mbuhmann

8 minutes ago, mbuhmann said:

Roku log sent. I tried two programs: Halloween Cookie Challenge and Halloween Baking Championship. I click play, indicator spins a few seconds, and then it drops back to the Emby menu.

Time was approx. 9:55 EST. Local user name Marc.

I should note that I think this became an issue with Emby 4.7.8. 

Can you please also attach the emby server log? thanks.

thunderclap

A few things I tried this morning to troubleshoot:

• disabled Intel Quicksync
  • moved transcode from Storage to Cache
  • downgraded to 4.7.6 (didn't seem to actually fallback, though)
  • upgraded to latest beta

None of those things worked. I tested an actual DVR recording and it played fine off Storage, it's only non-DVR recordings I put on Storage.

Hi.  Is the drive becoming disconnected or filling up?

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.

thunderclap
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Is the drive becoming disconnected or filling up?

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Unable to find the specified file.

No, the SATA cable is secure and the drive has 374GB free. And again, recorded DVR stuff pays fine, it’s any MKV/MP4 I move to the drive that chokes. Add to that the files play fine if I drop them the 1080p/8Mbps. It's only this drive... if I move the files to the array they play fine on auto. And it only affects Roku, not iOS or web browser.

9D103649-EABF-4811-9413-E0C6DC81D432.jpeg

Edited by MarcBu

• Solution
thunderclap

I tracked down the problem. It all comes down to the stream order in the video file. I assume Roku is just being picky, so I'm not sure it can be fixed in Emby (fingers crossed, though!). Maybe that's why dropping the playback down to 8Mbps works, because it's forcing the system to transcode it?

Anyway, example of a file that DOESN'T (left or top) work vs DOES work (right or bottom).

image.png.9d9b35c3fcf2e5537054595c69a8897a.png image.png.6d17de236e9ab115af71b2ceaa7cf91e.png

If you correct it to Stream 0 being video, Stream 1 being audio, and then Stream 2+ being subtitles it works. So that's where the problem is. Is this something Emby can fix so it plays nicely with Roku?

Update: I set up a script in Tdarr to automatically reorganize the streams so that should solve future problems. 

Edited by MarcBu

thunderclap
10 minutes ago, ebr said:

So, the drive location was a red herring?

Seems that way. Still can’t explain why the files played off the array and not the other drive but correcting the stream location has fixed the issue. The only thing I can think of is maybe when I moved the files to test in the array I inadvertently tested one that wasn’t broken. 

visproduction

The apostrophy in the "Handmaid's tale" file name is apparently stopping the creation of a thumbnail and this looks like it might be causing your "unable to find the specific file" error which creates the rest of the error issue.

Line 298 in your log tile:

System.Exception: System.Exception: No thumbnails created for /data/tvshows/The Handmaid's Tale/Season 5/The Handmaid's Tale S05E07-TdarrCacheFile--2ij9LL8vC_.mkv 320

I suspect if you rename all the media files and folder names without all the apostrophy's,  your problem will be solved.

see: 

On 10/22/2022 at 8:50 AM, MarcBu said:

but correcting the stream location has fixed the issue

I'm wondering if really it was just the act of editing and saving that file that fixed it.  What happens if you re-instate the old stream order?

• Like 1

thunderclap
On 10/23/2022 at 9:12 AM, ebr said:

I'm wondering if really it was just the act of editing and saving that file that fixed it.  What happens if you re-instate the old stream order?

You seem to be right. I swapped stream locations and it still plays fine on Roku, so now I’m not sure what to think. I’ll just use Tdarr to automatically put the streams in a nicer order which seems to fix the problem. 

Edited by MarcBu
  • Thanks 1