Source code for FFmpeg

emveepee

This dll is part of electron/Chromium.

The reason why MPV can play AC-4 is that it includes our ffmpeg. Same as above with the same patches I mentioned above.

emveepee

OK so it client transoding/decording versus server-side, which probably mean it is not spatial AC-4 so not Direct Play as I envision it.  What is output for passthrough?

Martin

Cheesegeezer

What would be interesting here is emby is able to be used by graphedit. We can see exactly where the decoding is failing for direct play. 

what devices are out than can cope with ac4? 

I haven’t invested time into research for any of the above. But would like to think that windows systems can make use of graphedit on both 32bit or 64bit player. To see the codec uses, inputs and outputs.

emveepee

The reason that I was asking for the ffmpeg source was I was wondering about a filter for ac-4 too, but if they are using libmpv they may not be using direct show filters at all.

Martin

39 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

What would be interesting here is emby is able to be used by graphedit. We can see exactly where the decoding is failing for direct play. 

MPV is using ffmpeg for decoding and supports various ways for bringing the pictures on the screen, like SDL2, Vulkan or DirectX11, but it's not using DirectShow so you'll see nothing in GraphEdit.

13 minutes ago, emveepee said:

they may not be using direct show filters at all

Correct. Even when MPV would use ffmpeg's DX11VA hw video decoders, there won't be any DS filters because ffmpeg uses the DirectX11 API directly,.

Cheesegeezer
14 minutes ago, softworkz said:

MPV is using ffmpeg for decoding and supports various ways for bringing the pictures on the screen, like SDL2, Vulkan or DirectX11, but it's not using DirectShow so you'll see nothing in GraphEdit.

so how do we know what Emby is actually doing with media? What tools, logs, etc. There must be something. I used to like to setup my codecs so they actually worked well, ffmpeg was the bomb, i could upmix stereo to 5.1 although not true it made the sound experience way better.  Its so powerful and we have it so why aren’t we utilising these amazing inbuilt feature.

5 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

so how do we know what Emby is actually doing with media? What tools, logs, etc. There must be something. I used to like to setup my codecs so they actually worked well, ffmpeg was the bomb, i could upmix stereo to 5.1 although not true it made the sound experience way better.  Its so powerful and we have it so why aren’t we utilising these amazing inbuilt feature.

The server is open for all kinds extensions and integrrations. Clients are not.

Cheesegeezer
8 minutes ago, softworkz said:

The server is open for all kinds extensions and integrrations. Clients are not.

Agreed and doesn’t the server make the decision on playback, based on the device capabilities, the “Bitrate” of the media vs the what the user has stipulated for internet or local connection speed. So the server holds the cards here? I’m just curious 🧐 

9 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Agreed and doesn’t the server make the decision on playback, based on the device capabilities, the “Bitrate” of the media vs the what the user has stipulated for internet or local connection speed. So the server holds the cards here? I’m just curious 🧐 

It's a complex procedure where both parties have choices. Certain elements are subject to negotiation but each party also has a range of things that cannot be overruled or controlled by the other side.

• Agree 1

Cheesegeezer

Yup and i would hate to get involved with it. My brain would be a bowl of soup by the end. Haha 😂 

anyways have a good evening and catch ya on the flip side 👍

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
emveepee

That license was from 4.8.0.1  but it isn't just used in the server, libmpv for EmbyTheater is also using 5.1

Martin

4.8.x are all beta versions so far. There will be a new source code tarball for the next release (=shortly).

emveepee

But Emby Theater is not beta and it is using it.  Also the rules for open source availability include all public releases including beta. 

I want this for completeness since I am porting this patch to FFmpeg 6 and I am trying to see what I might be missing.  I find av1 files work much better in libmpv with v6.

Martin

8 hours ago, emveepee said:

Also the rules for open source availability include all public releases including beta. 

If you are referring to "rules", then please let me remind you that there doesn't exist any rule that source code needs to be made available for public download.
You may file a formal request via mail, which we will respond to within a reasonable amount of processing time by sending you the source code on a medium of our choice for which we are allowed to charge you.

Or - you'll be a bit patient until we provide the code for download.

Thanks.

Edited by softworkz
  • Agree 1

emveepee

Yes you referenced that already, it just sounded like the reason it was not being posted is that it is beta plus you mislead me about libmpv  having the same code. I have been able to get it partially working now with FFmpeg 6 126917203.  I was hoping to see if you modified anything related to channel_layouts

Martin

2 minutes ago, emveepee said:

reason it was not being posted is that it is beta

Yes, that's the reason. We do not provide the code from each beta for download. You can request it as explained, though.