What Would You Do Part 2

Airbender

Tharnax

Another Drive Bender user :)

You haven't got the remainder of your OS disk in DB have you?

You using v2?

Yep, have been since the original forums and Drive Bender was first released into Beta.  

No, fortunately, I didn't put the remainder of the OS disk in DB.  I decided to keep it separate to in case something happened to the OS disk, I didn't want to lose the OS and the pool at the same time.  I kept the remainder as a spare partition for the "work", it was holding my MB3 Images By Name folder, temp storage for Sabnzb/sickbeard, temp storage for Blu-ray ripping, etc.  I have 5 other drives in my system running about 10+TB so I didn't really need the remaining 690GB.

Currently running version 1.9.5 (Official version), I didn't want to run a Beta version of storage pool software on my production server.

I wish I had checked my last OS back-up before trying to change the partition.  I did it successfully with no issue on another WHS2011 server I have but then again it isn't the work horse and the production server pretty much does it all. 

CBers

Yep, have been since the original forums and Drive Bender was first released into Beta.  

No, fortunately, I didn't put the remainder of the OS disk in DB.  I decided to keep it separate to in case something happened to the OS disk, I didn't want to lose the OS and the pool at the same time.  I kept the remainder as a spare partition for the "work", it was holding my MB3 Images By Name folder, temp storage for Sabnzb/sickbeard, temp storage for Blu-ray ripping, etc.  I have 5 other drives in my system running about 10+TB so I didn't really need the remaining 690GB.

Currently running version 1.9.5 (Official version), I didn't want to run a Beta version of storage pool software on my production server.

I wish I had checked my last OS back-up before trying to change the partition.  I did it successfully with no issue on another WHS2011 server I have but then again it isn't the work horse and the production server pretty much does it all.

I thought I recognised the name :)

Same here with the history of DB, as well as being a moderator on the forums ;)

I'd raise a support ticket and see if Anthony has any ideas.

V2 is working OK, but is an early beta - I have it installed on my "backup" Server with v1.95 on my main server.

Tharnax

I thought I recognised the name :)

Same here with the history of DB, as well as being a moderator on the forums ;)

I'd raise a support ticket and see if Anthony has any ideas.

V2 is working OK, but is an early beta - I have it installed on my "backup" Server with v1.95 on my main server.

Yes, I've read many of your posts over there for quite some time.  :D

Thanks, I may have too.  See when I restored from a early Oct backup, I assumed the fault error was just a date issue I didn't even think to look if all the drives were viewable by the system so I did a repair as that's the documented solution for the Fault Tolerance error.  I think the pool might have kicked out the missing drive and repaired the pool without it.  I think I can re-add the drive (when I find out which one it is) with the existing data to the pool but not sure how that will impact TV show/Season folders where some of the episodes would be only on that missing disk.  Does it know enough if say TV Show A/Season 1 has episodes 1, 2, 4, 6 in the folder and the re-added disk has episodes 3 & 5 in the same folder structure?  Would I be better off to pull the "missing" drive, connect it through an external USB hard drive port and copy and paste the data back into the pool?  The problem there is, if it's one of the larger more full drives I might not have enough space to complete the copy/paste.

Glad to hear V2 is working out okay.  I'm looking forward to some of the features in the release.  DB has been working out so well for me for the past year or so, I don't really visit those forums much.

Airbender

Hi

Figure it out it was Port multiplier issue so i had to use San Digital Card for e-sata and all 8 drives show up no issue

now i am getting somewhere

• Like 1

CBers

Yes, I've read many of your posts over there for quite some time. :D

Blushes!

@@Tharnax - once you find the disk, you should be able to assign it a drive letter, so that Windows sees it, then inspect to see what's on it.

Copy anything into the pool, then reformat and add the disk to the pool as a new disk.

All once you've identified the missing disk of course ;)

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1

Tharnax

Copy anything into the pool, then reformat and add the disk to the pool as a new disk.

This is what I was worried about.  Currently I've got just over 500GB free on my entire DB pool and my smallest drive is triple that space.  My assumption is once I've found the cause of the missing drive I'll have to install a new blank drive to the DB pool to free up enough space to copy all the data off the now "missing" drive.  Just no time to open up the case and figure it out at the moment.  I'll probably have to wait until the weekend before I can look at it.  Didn't really want to spend $$$ on a new drive at the moment but appears it's likely the only option.

CBers

@@Tharnax - yeah, that's gonna be a problem.

First off, you need to identify the "missing" disk.

Perhaps we should take this over to the DB forums?

Tharnax

@@Tharnax - yeah, that's gonna be a problem.

First off, you need to identify the "missing" disk.

Perhaps we should take this over to the DB forums?

@@CBers, yes perhaps we should.  :ph34r:

@@Airbender, sorry for partially high-jacking your thread.  Still look forward to hearing about your success with FlexRaid.  Hopefully, there will be a BF deal, so you can save a few bucks on it when it comes time for you to set it up.

Airbender

@@CBers, yes perhaps we should.  :ph34r:

@@Airbender, sorry for partially high-jacking your thread.  Still look forward to hearing about your success with FlexRaid.  Hopefully, there will be a BF deal, so you can save a few bucks on it when it comes time for you to set it up.

Hi

Np at all take it own it , we are all here to help each others

• Like 1

Airbender

Hello

75% good to go now i am waiting for broken parts to arrive from Antec the Fan and 2 Hot Swap bay , once i get them i will close up the server and re connect my sans digital 8 bay system and then i will start with FlexRaid

i am still debating between buying 2 3TB drives for Parity or one 4TB , also recently i been resarching between Raid T and Raid F so hopefuly by end of this week i will have MB3 Up and running again if everything goes well

Thanks guys

CBers

then i will start with FlexRaid

Might be worth starting with a small portion of your data in FlexRaid so that you know it's doing what it's supposed to be doing and that you know how to use it.

Don't jump in with all of your "eggs in one basket" until you're ready.

• Like 2

Airbender

Might be worth starting with a small portion of your data in FlexRaid so that you know it's doing what it's supposed to be doing and that you know how to use it.

Don't jump in with all of your "eggs in one basket" until you're ready.

Hello Great advise Thanks

Airbender

Hello

Finally all parts came and now my pc is up and running all drives show up and all my software are installed

so only thing left is to buy parity drive and install filexraid combo and mb3 as all hard drive are not one pool yet

so i guess time to research my next move

Airbender

Hello

Strange thing the files transfer between hard drive in my pc to San's Digital takes so long

10 GB files takes up to 8 hours or so at 800 kbs

Not sure why ? strange to me to see such slow speed on eSata

Edited by Airbender

Tharnax

Yes that seems unusually slow.  I'd be concern if at that transfer speed if the content would even be watchable once it comes to streaming it.  Unfortunately, I don't have a guess as to what the bottle neck might be.  I'm assuming the SATA is all SATA3 or higher and all the drives are SATA3 or higher compatible drives.  

Does the SATA card have both internal and external sata ports?  If so, have you tried connecting a drive to the internal SATA port on the card and transfer a file from a drive connected to the motherboard SATA port to the drive connected to the SATA card and see what the speed is?  Then possibly try and transfer between a drive connected to an internal SATA port on the card to an a drive connected to the card's external SATA port.  See if the card is the bottleneck or if it's the 8-bay device.

Airbender

Yes that seems unusually slow.  I'd be concern if at that transfer speed if the content would even be watchable once it comes to streaming it.  Unfortunately, I don't have a guess as to what the bottle neck might be.  I'm assuming the SATA is all SATA3 or higher and all the drives are SATA3 or higher compatible drives.  

Does the SATA card have both internal and external sata ports?  If so, have you tried connecting a drive to the internal SATA port on the card and transfer a file from a drive connected to the motherboard SATA port to the drive connected to the SATA card and see what the speed is?  Then possibly try and transfer between a drive connected to an internal SATA port on the card to an a drive connected to the card's external SATA port.  See if the card is the bottleneck or if it's the 8-bay device.

Hello i got this one :Sans Digital 8-Bay eSATA RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD Tower Storage Enclosure w/ 6G PCIe Card TR8M+B (Black)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16816111168 all my drives are 2TB and 3TB and 4TB all Sata 3 6G and as far the card it is e-sata as far network goes eveything i have is 1GB Nic on all my pc's and switches and router. This unit is only connect via eSata Port and cables

Not sure why it is that slow

Thanks

Tharnax

Ouch, sorry to hear that, but that speed is very usual regardless of SATA speed.  Don't have any other suggestions then the ones I posted above to try and narrow down where the bottleneck might be.

Airbender

Ouch, sorry to hear that, but that speed is very usual regardless of SATA speed.  Don't have any other suggestions then the ones I posted above to try and narrow down where the bottleneck might be.

Hi Tharnax you cool , you helped alot i will figure it out as the challanges just started now :) no fun in life if there is no challange

eitherway i have 8 days more to troublesshot this otherwise i will return it for full refund back from newegg.com

Airbender

Hello

i think i know where the problem could be it is either the Controller card driver or controller card by it self. This unit used eSATA 6Gbps (via Port Multiplier)

my motherboard comes with 2 e-sata but JOBD or slicon image is not Port Multiplier for all 8 drives to be seen at once. in this case i either have to return the item and get my money back or buy JOBD eSata Card that support 6GBPS and Port Multiplier on windows 7 Enterprise or ultimate X64 bit.

So i guess back to original issue again

• 3 weeks later...
Airbender

Hello

so i am back on this so finally i got the NAS and PC working with new RR642L Card that san's Digital give me no speed issue did some large file transfer

and so far so good

experience some minor issue with large beep sound when i notice 4 drive are not showing so restarted the pc and the NAS unit seems to fix the issue but no idea what caused it

So hopefully i will start working  on FliexRaid and Backup and then install MB3 and rest of the software so mybe by next week i will back in MB3

Thanks