HDR content transcoding rather than Direct Play

spon

Hi everyone. I've attached a log file for a test file in which the server is transcoding rather than Direct Play, which is causing issues with the HDR. Can someone take a look and let me know what is causing the transcoding? I've read it could be something with the audio format or possible compression issues but the log file is a little confusing. Thank you!

ffmpeg-transcode-45592e29-9de4-49f4-b6cd-5129b664ae0c_1.txt

hey @luke. I did check the video player (advanced stats for nerds) and can see that it is transcoding, but I couldn't tell why. After revisiting, it looks like there are two issues.

Initially, there was no explicit reason shown, but after the Transcoding progress (1.2%) it said "burning in subtitles". I then remember that non-srt subtitles are an issue with HDR so I disabled the subtitles and tried again. This time it said Transcoding reason: Direct Play error. 

26 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Sure, but just to be clear, the emby app that I'm using on my Shield Pro (via the google play store) is different than the sideloaded version?

edited: I'm using Emby Server on a dedicated PC, Shield Pro (latest version) w/ Emby app, Yamaha receiver (HDR & UHD compatible) to a  Samsung S95B

Edit 2: I should have mentioned up front that I downloaded a HDR reference video (TS file) and it played beautifully in Emby with Direct Play.

Edited by spon

21 hours ago, spon said:

Sure, but just to be clear, the emby app that I'm using on my Shield Pro (via the google play store) is different than the sideloaded version?

edited: I'm using Emby Server on a dedicated PC, Shield Pro (latest version) w/ Emby app, Yamaha receiver (HDR & UHD compatible) to a  Samsung S95B

Edit 2: I should have mentioned up front that I downloaded a HDR reference video (TS file) and it played beautifully in Emby with Direct Play.

@spon Hi, yes, the sideloaded app is ahead in terms of video player updates. Can you try it out and let us know how that compares? Thanks !

@Luke the sideload app played all the files fine so it looks like the issue is resolved in the latest version of the video player. All good. Thanks man!

• Thanks 1