Support for FLAC 1.4

jlambie

jlambie

Hi

The popular FLAC codec last month was updated for the first time in a decade (almost)! Among new features is the ability to losslesly encode and play higher resolution files in smaller packages (up to 32 bit, and higher sample rate than previously possible). Link is here: https://xiph.org/flac/2022/09/09/flac-1-4-0-released.html 

Software/players codecs however have to be updated in order to play these. Would there be any prospect of having Emby support the updated codec? It would be great if so!

Thanks for considering :) 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

sydlexius
3 minutes ago, jlambie said:

Hi

The popular FLAC codec last month was updated for the first time in a decade (almost)! Among new features is the ability to losslesly encode and play higher resolution files in smaller packages (up to 32 bit, and higher sample rate than previously possible). Link is here: https://xiph.org/flac/2022/09/09/flac-1-4-0-released.html 

Software/players codecs however have to be updated in order to play these. Would there be any prospect of having Emby support the updated codec? It would be great if so!

Thanks for considering :) 

May as well bump this to 1.4.1, though I don't know if there were any material changes.  It's too bad about their stance on not supporting floating point...it'd make for more faithful conversions from DSD and MQA.

• Like 1

jlambie
32 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, have you tried to play these files with Emby apps?

Hi Luke, yes - they don't play. Thanks.

sydlexius
34 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, have you tried to play these files with Emby apps?

I'd have to convert one of my SACDs to a FLAC with the newer feature sets...I checked xiph's preferred audio test files, and there does not appear to be a sample that correlates to the newer capabilities of the flac CODEC.  With all of that said, I suppose that if Emby can't handle this, that a feature request would need to be submitted to FFMPEG?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jlambie said:

Hi Luke, yes - they don't play. Thanks.

In what emby apps did you try?

jlambie
25 minutes ago, Luke said:

In what emby apps did you try?

So far tried the server on my PC and the iOS app on iPad. Can try on my old android phone next. 

jlambie
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

How about in browsers?

The same. Attached is the error message received in a Chrome browser, if that helps. I am aware from speaking with dbPoweramp, whose encoders I used to create the 1.4.1 FLAC files, that the software/players need to be updated to use the newer codecs. Thanks for your speedy replies! 

A9B2828F-875D-4A45-8B53-F4E63A1BE0BC.png

• Thanks 1