7.1 audio shows as 5.1 in MBT

nickbuol

nickbuol

Maybe this is a bug, maybe it is some setting that I have, but when I go into MBT and start scrolling through my movies, when I come across a movie that I KNOW is in 7.1, it shows just the little 5.1 icon on the information screen.

Is MBT not seeing it as 7.1?  I loaded up, for example, Edge of Tomorrow which I just ripped as a MKV tonight.  The disc has the DTS HD-MA 7.1 and of course I selected that and the 5.1 subset that is required.  VLC sees both the 7.1 audio and the 5.1 core, but MBT only seems to see it as 5.1...

I have my audio set to expand 6.1 to 7.1 and my config is set to 7.1 from as best as I can tell in the settings.

Any ideas?

I am starting to wonder if this is why some movies that I've watched on blu-ray sound better than in MBT.  If MBT isn't playing the 7.1HD track, that would make sense.  I was watching Captain America: The WInter Soldier a few weeks back, and since I STILL have subtitle issues with MBT, I had to pop in the blu-ray as my wife and daughte hadn't seen the movie yet and the small amounts of forced subtitles were important for them to understand.  Anyway, I put in the blu-ray and the audio was noticeably better.

I would say that is might be a 3rd party app setting, but when MBT itself sees the file as 5.1 and not 7.1, I am wondering if that is the issue.

Again, any ideas would be great.  Some day I will get all of my kinks worked out with MB and really start to enjoy it (current issues are 7.1 audio, forced subtitles not working, and no exclusive MadVR support for better video). 

Thanks.

nickbuol

UPDATE:  I checked this out on another computer as well, and it too shows 5.1...

So I start the movie again, and I go into the audio settings, and I see this below...  Is that right?  The 7.1 and 5.1 listed for the same audio track?

Oh, and sorry that my computer monitor is so nasty dirty.

71or51.jpg

Edited by nickbuol

nickbuol

I think that I am figuring this out on my own.  I am using Media Center Master, and it looks like IT is giving it a 5.1 metadata entry. 

Still not sure about why it would sound different than the blu-ray (for Captain America) or why MCM isn't putting the 7.1 tag in there.

we don't use that metadata for raw media info. the data in the screenshot above is coming from lav filters.

nickbuol

So if LAV is set to a 7.1 configuration, then shouldn't it report back 7.1 for movies that have that audio track? 

Sorry, I am just confused as to how to fix this.

I can't really speak for it. but i'm guessing your configuration doesn't matter and it's instead using media info that it's extracting from the content being played.