Podcast authorization valadition fails

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi,

I have noticed recently that authorization for the Podcast plugin fails (times out) periodically. This can not be just passed off to IPv6 issues and internet providers. As you can see other plugins seem to validate just fine.

2014-10-08 08:42:25.3220 Info - App: HttpClientManager POST: https://connect.mediabrowser.tv/service/Servers?id=f0e4c9e4f8318ac15acf4885dd72a36e
2014-10-08 08:42:25.4939 Debug - Genre Cleaner: GenreCleaner Registration Status - Registered: True In trial: False Expiration Date: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Is Valid: True
2014-10-08 08:42:25.5095 Info - App: Movie Theme Songs (version 1.1.1.0) | Registration Status - Registered?: True | Is in Trial : False  | Registration Is Valid : True

2014-10-08 08:42:46.3210 Error - SecurityManager: Error checking registration status of PodCasts
 The operation has timed out
 System.Net.WebException
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
    at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
    at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsyncInternal>d__1e.MoveNext()
 --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
    at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<SendAsync>d__7.MoveNext()
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
    at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.HttpClientManager.HttpClientManager.<Post>d__2c.MoveNext()
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
    at MediaBrowser.Common.Implementations.Security.PluginSecurityManager.<GetRegistrationStatusInternal>d__13.MoveNext()

2014-10-08 08:42:46.3210 Debug - Podcasts: PodCasts Registration Status - Registered: False In trial: False Expiration Date: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Is Valid: False
2014-10-08 08:42:46.3210 Debug - Studio Cleaner: StudioCleaner Registration Status - Registered: True In trial: False Expiration Date: 1/1/0001 12:00:00 AM Is Valid: True
2014-10-08 08:42:46.3210 Info - App: TV Theme Songs Registration Status - Registered?: True | Is in Trial : False  | Registration Is Valid : True

I am posting here because I don't know if it is a problem with the plugin or the validation mechanisms on the server. 

Thanks

On the contrary, it does look to me to be related to the other problems you are having contacting our server.

We cache these registration validations so that we don't pummel our server and so that your system will still work in a disconnected state at least temporarily.  So, the fact the other registrations say they are validating is not necessarily an indicator of successful connectivity.  Those results may have been cached.

Vicpa

@@ebr@@bigjohn@@Luke

Hey I am sorry if this is blunt.

So you are saying the week of trying things with BigJohn, the changes he made with Cloudflare and the fact that I can ping both urls successfully is worthless.

Why isn't podcasts caching it's info if that is the case?

From a trouble shooting discipline it is disingenuous to point to an external problem when 4 out of five are working without verifying what's different with the one that is not working.

I am not trying to blast anybody or point any fingers, I wouldn't know who to point at. Sometimes a different set of eyes ......

Reading the forums I am not the only one having a problem.

Thanks, I am just trying to get and keep things working. The last several beta releases have seen a little fragile, so I can understand if the dev team is being pulled in a lot of different directions.

All I'm saying is you cannot necessarily make the leap of logic you did - that because the other items validated that there is no problem contacting our validation server.  If you post the entire log I could verify if those other items actually went out to our server and succeeded.

It is very possible that their status was cached and the podcasts one isn't.

But, the bottom line is that we are making an http request and it is returning as a time-out.  This is happening at a level that is outside of the knowledge or scope of any individual plug-in.  In fact, it is something that is really happening outside of the scope of our server software.  it is something in the network layer that is failing.

I have only seen you and maybe one or two others report this issue lately.  Keep in mind that it is normal for intermittent network interruptions at any number of levels in people's network chain from them to us so these things can happen to a number of people at one moment and then re-try and not be a problem.  I know that is not your issue but others reporting what looks like the same thing can often be nothing more than one of these normal interruptions.

Something is clearly amiss with the network connection between you and us but that does appear to be pretty isolated or these forums would be flooded with these issues.

So, my initial reaction is that it is likely this problem is related to that and not something else.  I could be wrong but I'm looking for horses not zebras :).

Okay, that log is very short but I don't see any other attempts to check registration in it other than that one and the only other attempt to contact our server (that isn't re-routed by our CDN) also fails with a time-out.

That indicates to me that this is the exact same issue we have been dealing with for the past week or so.

Is your supporter key reporting as valid now?

Vicpa

Hi,

I will let you verify based on logs. I restarted the server. The dashboard shows the supporter badge. But It has throughout this test.

You tell me.

54359ea086b9d_podcast1.png

54359ec2e9ca6_podcast2.png

Before I would get this screen and a message would be generated saying trial had expired, no message- but no podcasts channels.

Log file : Serverlog 10-8-#2.txt

Thanks

According to that log your Podcasts registration succeeded (it reported as registered).  Have you run the refresh podcast feeds task?

Vicpa

Thanks ebr

That seems to have done it. The task is name is a little confusing "Download channel content" I have that setting off

5435be04e8aa0_podcast3.png

Running the task manually did refresh the available channels. I guess the default is every 3 hours. I will remember to check that step in the future.

Thanks again for your help!! and putting up with my conclusion jumping

-Vicpa

Hmmm...there used to be a separate podcast scan task but that may simply be automatic and hidden from the interface now.  You shouldn't have to have the download option turned on in order for podcasts to work.  That is actually something a little different.

• 1 year later...

The Podcasts plugin has been updated with a new configuration screen to match the look and feel of the rest of Emby Server. I think you'll find it much more enjoyable to use and configure now. Thanks.