How to get random slideshow of an entire folder and subfolders

gddeluca

gddeluca

I have my family photos in a \Pictures folder which has multiple sub folders (some with inner subfolders).

Is there any way to just point at \Pictures and get a random slideshow of ALL the photos in ALL the nested folders?

George

Hi, have you tried clicking the play button on a folder? Or have you tried clicking into a folder and then clicking play all/shuffle at the top of the screen?

gddeluca

OK, I finally got it going with selecting photos and then shuffle for the whole folder.

My problem is that I'm trying to get Emby set up to show our photos on our big screen (65") TV. My wife is visually impaired and for you and I, navigating on screen menus to accomplish this is perhaps trivial. For her, it is a royal PITA, since her vision is so poor, any on screen navigation is a major obstacle. I'm struggling to find something that will work for her from the Emby home screen with a minimum of clicks or having to squint at the screen to figure things out. I just don't want her to end up saying "Forget it, I can't manage to do this".

gddeluca

Well, for her I'd like to see, after selecting the Family Photos Library, a single new button that goes directly into shuffle slideshow mode for the entire library contents.

Maybe even a Library attribute that could be set so that simple clicking on the Library will auto-launch the slideshow.

Just as an aside, we were PLEX users, and both of us are much more impressed with Emby and its 'way of doing things'.  As well, on our Firestick it is sooooo much more stable than PLEX which acted up and crashed or had to be restarted at least 3-4 times a day.

Kudos!

MBSki
12 minutes ago, gddeluca said:

Well, for her I'd like to see, after selecting the Family Photos Library, a single new button that goes directly into shuffle slideshow mode for the entire library contents.

Maybe even a Library attribute that could be set so that simple clicking on the Library will auto-launch the slideshow.

Just as an aside, we were PLEX users, and both of us are much more impressed with Emby and its 'way of doing things'.  As well, on our Firestick it is sooooo much more stable than PLEX which acted up and crashed or had to be restarted at least 3-4 times a day.

Kudos!

Isn't there already a shuffle button? I have a shuffle button, but the problem seems to be that it doesn't play. It shuffles to 1 photo, but never advances to the next photo or video. Play appears to have the same problem on Android mobile version .77. @Luke what's the time between the next photo/video? I waited about 10 seconds and nothing happened. 

visproduction

I know the question is how to get Emby to do this.  I just wanted to point out that most new TV's have a slide show option.  All you do is put the images on a USB drive and plug it into the back the TV.  This is obviously a easy option to do what you want.  The TV manual has steps how to do this.

gddeluca

Yes, I'm aware of this option. But until you're as visually impaired as my wife (can't drive, can't read, etc.) you have no idea how difficult what you're suggesting would be for her.

Does your remote control have a dedicated play button? If so then that is a shortcut you can use to start playing whatever is highlighted.

So for example you could do that from the home screen with the photo library selected.

gddeluca

Tried it. If I select play, you get the pulldown with 'Play All', 'Shuffle All' etc. select Shuffle all and sometimes the screen 'blinks', sometimes not, but you end up back at the Emby home screen.

To get it to play I have to select Family Pictures, then select Folder, then Play, then Shuffle to get it going. Exactly the sequence my wife would have a very hard time doing.

gddeluca

The Firestick version. Do you need specific versions? I assume it's up to date.

gddeluca

Did the Sync after ordering the install on Amazon, didn't notice any real activity, it just sort of 'blinked'

Checked Emby, the version says 2.0.9a

Testing again showed no differences.

On 10/18/2022 at 2:22 PM, gddeluca said:

Did the Sync after ordering the install on Amazon, didn't notice any real activity, it just sort of 'blinked'

Testing again showed no differences.

@gddeluca what do you mean exactly by "did the sync" ?

gddeluca

Went in, selected he "Sync" option. There was no message or anything to indicate it had installed a new version, it just returned to the same screen.

There was also no error message indicating an update failure.  As if the Sync has simply 'done nothing'.

1 minute ago, gddeluca said:

Went in, selected he "Sync" option. There was no message or anything to indicate it had installed a new version, it just returned to the same screen.

There was also no error message indicating an update failure.  As if the Sync has simply 'done nothing'.

Hi, we don't have any buttons called "Sync". What version of the Emby app are you running?

gddeluca

Your asked me to sideload Emby from the amazon store. So I went to the Amazon store, ordered it. Then went to my firestick and told it to Sync my apps with the store. I assume this was to get the Firestick to upgrade Emby.  But as I said, the Sync (on the Firestick) didn't seem to actually DO any thing. Was that not the action you meant me to do to sideload the app?

On 10/18/2022 at 2:22 PM, gddeluca said:

That is an incredibly old version of the app.  Is that still the version it shows after you attempted to update?

gddeluca

OK, I just went and uninstalled it, and re-installed is from the Firestick store. It fetches the same version - 2.0.9a.

What version should it be? And where can I get it? And why, if it's so old, is it still the version Amazon is using for the Firestick?

The current version in the Amazon store is 2.0.79.  Are you sure you aren't mis-reading the version?