What is GetTempFileResponse and why is it going to Dropbox

Vicpa

Vicpa

Hi,

What is this all about? My guess is that it is downloading and extracting fonts for ffmeg but I don't know for sure and should not be guessing.

In my mind this is a bad thing. I don't like the idea of anything be added to one of my system from an anonymous dropbox url.

I have neither the time or desire to verify logs everytime MBS is updated.

Below are the two offending lines from the log.

HttpClientManager.GetTempFileResponse url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj847twf7riq0j7/ARIALUNI.7z?dl=1

Extracting C:\Users\George\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\cache\temp\07dbf251-a794-43f7-b465-8ba3fb789dfd.tmp to C:\Users\XXXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20141005\fonts

Is this going to be standard practice going forward ?

We download a number of items from different places.  Dropbox is a source of last-resort but is used in some cases.  Mostly we use our own server, a CDN or Github.

We don't modify anything that doesn't have to do with us so I would just, as you say, not waste your time trolling through the logs.

Vicpa

Hi ebr,

Sorry you seem to be getting the brunt of my concerns, it is nothing personal. :)

It is poor programming practice to scatter software distribution locations all over the place. It makes the challenge of source management and change management a nightmare.

In a dev environment I totally understand. You put stuff where ever to get things working. In a beta release, I would expect delivery is a key element in testing, before moving to release.

So again is this going to be standard practice going forward for beta releases ? How about production releases?

I trust the MB3 community is not modifying anything other the MB3 programs and dependencies. I would like to maintain that trust.  

MB3 should not be installing anything that is not clearly from a MB3 site.

I only troll through logs when things are not working, sadly recently that has been far to often.

Thanks