Auto organize Anime searching only shows japanese names/titles

snowbrdd
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

snowbrdd

I couldn't find this off of searching through the forums, but whenever I'm organizing a new anime TVDB is only returning a japanese names and not the english form. This is causing Windows to create the folders in Japanese and as I don't speak or read the language, I can't really know if I got the right show. I'm not entirely sure if this is an Emby issue so much as something with TVDB but was hoping someone here could help. It seems to organize fine afterwards, but it's a bit of a pain on initial organization.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

image.png.74b91a2f0c2aef60b8515ed6ed9c905a.png

pwhodges
4 hours ago, snowbrdd said:

TVDB is only returning a japanese names and not the english form. This is causing Windows to create the folders in Japanese

How are the folders being created?  Normally you would create and populate the folders yourself, following the Emby naming guide (link below), and then Emby matches the names up with the TVDB/TMDB to find the metadata.  In Emby you specify the language you want metadata collected in.

If you are looking on the TVDB website directly, it is somewhat common to see Japanese data for anime if you have not logged in and specified your preferred language (or if no one has yet provided English translations in TVDB - I sometimes do that to help others).

Paul

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

snowbrdd
9 hours ago, pwhodges said:

How are the folders being created?  Normally you would create and populate the folders yourself, following the Emby naming guide (link below), and then Emby matches the names up with the TVDB/TMDB to find the metadata.  In Emby you specify the language you want metadata collected in.

If you are looking on the TVDB website directly, it is somewhat common to see Japanese data for anime if you have not logged in and specified your preferred language (or if no one has yet provided English translations in TVDB - I sometimes do that to help others).

Paul

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159110-tv-naming

I typically use the manual organize to search for a new show and have it auto generate off of that. I.e. Manually click the folder icon -> Plus icon for series, then search, find the show, have it organize that, then it'll take care of the rest after it generates the folder structure within the set folder.

I've attached the log but I'm not sure how much you can glean from it. 

Thanks

embyserver (1).txt

2 hours ago, snowbrdd said:

I typically use the manual organize to search for a new show and have it auto generate off of that. I.e. Manually click the folder icon -> Plus icon for series, then search, find the show, have it organize that, then it'll take care of the rest after it generates the folder structure within the set folder.

I've attached the log but I'm not sure how much you can glean from it. 

Thanks

embyserver (1).txt 82.5 MB · 0 downloads

Hi, what example and at what time should we be looking at in this log file? thanks.

snowbrdd

Here is an example timestamp for this new log. 

2022-10-15 07:57:54.523

I'm not entirely sure which line it is but I'm going to put screenshots of exactly what I did to get the result. I didn't have anything to test on so sorry about the delay in response. Hopefully this is a better way to explain what I'm seeing. I assume it's something on TVDB's API but I don't know if they changed it or somethign else.tGxUXYu.png.d3de1b260c951adbd116e4465e691b96.png

3O9AVSt.png.7fe2356e02ad47699a0f92eb47b4236c.pngYlJwNjf.thumb.png.ac3e4bb26b0ad91f660b00534c947d13.pngg9EmAgc.thumb.png.82021cafc39fd058f3e5f48f5d00a1a4.pngebESyKT.png.e45927dc95ed859fb31afcf5ca41e259.pngoYeTDKr.png.37030248498d26c682d30e3618b80f9a.png

embyserver (2).txt

• Solution

OK well yea oddly, that's what's coming out of the tvdb search api when looking for chainsaw man. You can reproduce this just by using the identify feature in the web interface.

pwhodges

I note that in this series no episode other than the first yet has an English translation...  I don't know if that would affect TVDB's response.

Paul

snowbrdd
23 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

I note that in this series no episode other than the first yet has an English translation...  I don't know if that would affect TVDB's response.

Paul

Yeah it's weird that they swapped to just the Japanese names. I guess it's another one of their decisions they make as it used to show the localized names even for other shows as well.

Thanks for the help.

pwhodges

Well, not a single one of the many anime I have has this problem, so it may be an oddity specific to this new show.  I'd expect it will be sorted in a day/week or so.

Paul

There was a cyberpunk anime tv show that was released earlier this year. It also only got Japanese data from the providers through auto organize.

Emby was able to get me English version s of the metadata though.

So although my files system has Japanese folders names, my clients show English 😃

• Thanks 1

snowbrdd
3 hours ago, chef said:

There was a cyberpunk anime tv show that was released earlier this year. It also only got Japanese data from the providers through auto organize.

Emby was able to get me English version s of the metadata though.

So although my files system has Japanese folders names, my clients show English 😃

This is what happens. I just have a large amount of Japanese folder names now that I was mildly hoping there was an easy fix. Emby doesn't actually say other things.

RanmaCanada

When you do the identify, it will show you the Japanese name, but Emby will still pull English metadata.  You can easily rename your folders and your files to Western standards, and Emby will just throw this small curve ball at you, but everything else will turn out to be normal.

The expanded version of  auto organize has a built in corrections tab.

I could look into extending the code to edit the full path to an item,  and rename parent folders instead of just file names.