Emby Theater navigation issue, goes up instead of left or right

CashMoney

CashMoney

Emby Theater 3.0.16 downloaded from Emby website. Weirdest issue I've ever seen.

This apparently started happening "a few weeks ago"*. Navigation via 2 different htpc media remotes and a keyboard, behaviour is the same. From the Home screen, if I enter "TV Shows" or "Movies" or any media, I can navigate down, I can navigate up. If I navigate left or right, it goes up. If I enter a TV Show or Movie and come back out again, navigation is fine until I return to the home screen, and then navigation is up or down, with left and right going up. Hope that makes sense.

Emby in a browser navigation works fine on the same PC via keyboard, wireless keyboard or 2 different remotes. Same peripherals work as expected in other non Emby related media apps.

Things I've tried -

I've uninstalled Emby Theater, removed the cache etc, reinstalled.

Rebooted the PC.

Removed the usb dongles for the remotes (usually only 1 remote plugged in, plugged in a 2nd different remote thinking the remote was the problem) incase they might interfere with the wireless keyboard or vice versa.

Removed all wireless peripherals and used a wired keyboard only.

Searched forums/Google for similar issues (not found anything).

Anyone have any ideas? I've not got physical access to the machine* so If anyone does have an idea I'll have to probably try and fix it in a few days time. Unless it's a bug, which seems odd that no one else has the issue, I can't think of what else to try.

*Not my machine, a friends. The machine in question is a PC running Windows 10 attached to TV, Emby Theater set to Desktop under display settings , server is on another machine in the same household. Emby Theater on server machine works as expected, just not on this second PC.

Edited by CashMoney

Hi, where exactly are you pressing left or right on? Can you please show a screenshot example? Thanks.

CashMoney

On a remote controls direction pad/keys and on a keyboards arrow keys.

On the first image, I can navigate up and down, but pressing left or right on any peripheral the navigation goes up. If I enter into a show, like in the second image, and then back out/return to the screen in the first image I can navigate as normal.

If I return to the home screen however, I'll have to repeat the above before I can navigate properly again. Navigation works normally on the home screen. This happens in any media/folder I choose from the home screen; TV Shows, Movies, Collections, Trailers, Photos.

Hope that makes sense, as I say, very strange and no idea what else to try.

emby1.png

emby2.png

24 minutes ago, CashMoney said:

On a remote controls direction pad/keys and on a keyboards arrow keys.

On the first image, I can navigate up and down, but pressing left or right on any peripheral the navigation goes up. If I enter into a show, like in the second image, and then back out/return to the screen in the first image I can navigate as normal.

If I return to the home screen however, I'll have to repeat the above before I can navigate properly again. Navigation works normally on the home screen. This happens in any media/folder I choose from the home screen; TV Shows, Movies, Collections, Trailers, Photos.

Hope that makes sense, as I say, very strange and no idea what else to try.

emby1.png

emby2.png

Hi, in the first image, what currently has focus?

CashMoney

Those images are actually examples from my own system. On the system with the problem, if an item is in focus it's enlarged/prominent and looks perfectly normal afaik. I'll see if I can get images from the problem PC if you think it will help, but I don't have physical access all the time; it's a system I maintain for a friend. Afaict it doesn't look any different than my own.

I don't necessarily need screenshots from the other machine. I just need to know what is currently highlighted at the time of pressing left. Thanks.

• Like 1

CashMoney

In the example first image, if I had The Boys highlighted, and pressed left on a peripheral, then the next highlighted item would be Around the World In 80 Days.

If I had The Big Bang Theory highlighted, and pressed right on a peripheral, then the next highlighted item would be Altered Carbon.

I should of described it better, it does actually move to the side, but jumps up 1 row as well.

CashMoney

I should be able to get a good look next week, and if I can't figure it out, I'll switch it to Kodi (Emby for Kodi). I'll see if I can get some video of it, though I doubt it will help any :)

Thanks guys

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
CashMoney

I've not had a chance to look at it since I posted (family issues, not sure when I'll get to look at it) but yes, afaik it's still happening.

MikeB111

Just thought I'd add to this, I'm not sure it's exactly the same but sounds similar enough that it could be related.

I have noticed this only in the past several weeks.  No change at all to my hardware or software setup in over a year (other than any auto updates to the Emby server or Emby Theater that might be happening in the background without action on my part).

When I'm browsing recorded TV, sometimes it does not allow me to move in a direction.  For example, there are six columns of shows shown in this library.  Say I'm selected on the fourth across and want to move right one to the fifth in that row.  Sometimes it won't let me do this, as I'm clicking right arrow (using a HTPC remote) the selected program does not change.  I can move up or down or left, but not right.  So I'll go up one or two rows, then over to the column with the show I want, then down to that show and I can watch it fine.  But strange that it won't let me move directly to it in the first place.  I know it's happened where it did not let me move right, I am not positive if it has not let me move left but that may have also happened.  It is totally random, if I go back to the home screen and back in again it might work fine.  I couldn't say if it's also happening in my movie library as I haven't been browsing there much recently, but definitely it has happened many times in my recorded TV library.

Also, while testing it just now I noticed that the last row of programs only shows 4 shows instead of 6 in a full row.  If I'm selected on that very last program in column 4 and arrow up, it moves me up one row but also left one row.  If I go to the right it moves selection right, but then if I go up again it will move up and left.  This is consistent.

Anyways, seemed related to the original post perhaps, especially that it's only been happening for a couple of weeks now.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting a slightly different issue that feels related

When I press up or down in my movies library in movies view it adds a left to every up and down command using either keyboard or remote control.

Just pressing down goes down & left
Just pressing up goes up & left

It only occurs when navigating the 'boxart' portion, the menus are unaffected.

Interestingly if I go to movies > folders then back to movies > movies (without returning to the main emby menu) it works correctly.
I currently have it set to open movies > movies when opening my movies library from the main menu

• Agree 1

On 11/21/2022 at 8:31 PM, TC100 said:

When I press up or down in my movies library in movies view it adds a left to every up and down command using either keyboard or remote control.

Interestingly if I go to movies > folders then back to movies > movies (without returning to the main emby menu) it works correctly.
I currently have it set to open movies > movies when opening my movies library from the main menu

That's strange. @Happy2Play are you seeing that?

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, Luke said:
On 11/21/2022 at 5:31 PM, TC100 said:

That's strange. @Happy2Play are you seeing that?

Using the up and down arrows navigate up and down normally, unless this is a display mode thing?  But did no see any issue in desktop or tv mode. 3.0.17

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2022 at 8:31 PM, TC100 said:

Hi, can you try it again and see if it still occurs? Thanks.

CashMoney

As TC100, seeing the same here. Interestingly it's now doing it on the other pc as well. Both machines are running 3.0.17. It's random and intermittent.

• 2 weeks later...
mitch2471

I also get this happening intermittently.  It's a pain as not everyone in the family is tech savy so I always get called to sort it out. Normally a restart solves it, that or using the d-pad on a wireless keyboard.

The tv guide shortcut also stopped working last night. Solved by a restart. 

Edited by mitch2471
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 9:39 AM, TC100 said:

Do you need any more information to help resolve this?

Hi, I haven't been able to reproduce but am trying to chase it down. Thanks.

This has been happening to me too for a few months. Intermittent. Sometimes I can go back to the home screen and enter a different section like if the issue is happening in TV I can go to movies and back into TV and the problem stops. Sometimes. 

• 1 month later...

Got the exact same issue and workaround as OP now too on a brand new system build.  Left and right work as intended on top row.  Up and down work as intended.  Of the top row however, left/right causes a diagonal move up and the the left or right depending...going in and out of a title correct it.

Also notice this oddly happens in my Movies and Television libraries but not Collections

Edited by jbl77