When playing video on an amazon fire HD 8 tablet

ryzen5000

ryzen5000

When playing video streaming to a Fire HD 8 tablet 1280 x 800 resolution, by changing the resolution will that force transcoding? Alternative the 10.1 fire HD tablet should not require?

transcoding because its already in 1080P? Both tablets support H.265 which is what all my media is encoded in. Do I need the 8 or 10 inch tablet to avoid transcoding?

Edited by ryzen5000

by changing the resolution will that force transcoding

Hi, it might. If you set the quality to something lower than the original video.

Do I need the 8 or 10 inch tablet to avoid transcoding?

I'm guessing they probably support the same things, no?

ryzen5000

I think I found the answer but I won't know for sure until the Fire HD 8 tablets arrive. They in theory should direct play H.265 even though the resolution of the small 8 HD tablet is 1200 x 800. The tablets are now on sale $69.99 and Its so cheap I ordered 2.

I found some forum posts but I am not sure whether I have 10 bit or 8 bit videos how do you tell? When I encode with tdarr which I do everything I know 10 bit is selected "no". So it is likely that I have 8 bit HEVC.

I think my chances are good that they direct play. I have dual graphics cards but they are fancy and I don't like to use them except for encoding for which they are set to automatically tackle any new media I add to my library. I don't want any transcoding done for viewing purposes.

What do you think? They should play direct? based on these findings? I am not fully convinced. because its still changing the resolution. however it supports HEVC 1080P.

H.265 HEVC D(HW) Main Profile, L4.1 1080p@30FPS

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tablets/ft-device-specifications-firehd-models.html?v=firehd8_2020

Media Specifications — Fire HD 8 (2020, 10th Gen)
Media Description  
OUTPUT SPECS    
HDMI n/a
HCDCP n/a
WiFi Display n/a
HDCP n/a
VIDEO CODECS    
H.263 D (HW) baseline, 1080P@30fps
H.264 AVC D (HW) Constrained Baseline, Main Profile, High profile, L4.2 1080p@30FPS, E (HW)
H.265 HEVC D(HW) Main Profile, L4.1 1080p@30FPS
MPEG2 D (HW) Main Profile @High 1080P@30FPS
MPEG4 D (HW) Advanced Simple Profile@L5, Simple Profile@L6 1080P@30FPS
VP8 D (HW)
VP9 D (HW) Profile 0/2 1080P@30FPS
VC-1 D (SW)
VIDEO FEATURES    
Low Latency Video  
H.264 DRM Supported
H.265 DRM Supported
OpenGL ES 3.2
AUDIO CODECS    
AAC LC D (SW)
HE AAC v1, HE AAC v2, AAC ELD, OPUS, MIDI, Vorbis D (SW)
AMR NB, FLAC D (SW)
MP3 D (SW) MPEG1-Layer3, MPEG2-Layer3
EAC3 D (Dolby)
EAC3 JOC D (Dolby)
AC-4 D (Dolby)

Bgrngod
·
2 yr. ago
Synology 1621+ & Intel NUC10i7FNH
It does. I have two Fire 8 tablets for my daughters. They direct play both HEVC 8-bit 1080p files, and PGS subs.

mredofcourse
·
2 yr. ago
244TB Mac mini - Apple TV
Just to clarify, not 10-bit HEVC 1080p?

level 4
Bgrngod
·
2 yr. ago
Correct. I don't have any 10-bit HEVC because there's no reason to use it outside of some edge cases related to cleaning up old anime through wonky filters.

level 1
Bgrngod
·
2 yr. ago
I have two of the prior version for my daughters. These things are a god damn life saver for road trips. They're slower than shit for the UI (that's a lie, the 7" was worse) but once they get playing something they work perfectly.

Neither require transcoding for 8bit HEVC or PGS subs. Direct Play all day every day. The resolution is a bummer, but the little ones don't complain.

Edited by ryzen5000

HI, it looks like they both should but I think you'll just have to try it. Did you end up getting them?

ryzen5000

They are on order for delivery Friday 14th. It's a bit of a wait to get them still. Is it true that there isn't an Emby in the Amazon store so I would need to install Google Play services on the tablet to be able to use Emby Premiere? These were the only tablets that I could find that support h.265, they are designed to run amazon prime and netflix so they are supposed to have built in encoding capabilities and support a variety of the newer codecs.

https://OfficeRat.Store

Edited by ryzen5000

Is it true that there isn't an Emby in the Amazon store so I would need to install Google Play services on the tablet to be able to use Emby Premiere? 

Hi, for mobile devices yes, although we are working on it. Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

ryzen5000

I found your manual installation of Emby Page and followed that at first but the guide is quite brief and doesn't specify the exact versions as per each different generation of Fire HD tablet. The guide I found here https://www.androidpolice.com/install-play-store-amazon-fire-tablet/ worked perfectly and gave me the information I needed to install it on a Generation 10 Fire HD 8 tablet. I used a computer to download these files and uploaded them to nextcloud but you could use a small Micro SD card to make it easier to accomplish this. All the versions are listed and this is the guide to follow if anyone wants to install Emby on their fire tablet. I must say that the google play services works perfectly and Emby works flawlessly on the fire tablet with direct play HEVC videos from my server. Thats the best part, the tablets will will direct playing H.265 all day long and response is snappy and apps open quicker than expected for such a cheaply priced tablet at 69.99 I am really impressed and the sound.....yes the sound comes from two decently sized speakers.  This small tablet is MADE for this.

https://OfficeRat.Store

direct play.jpg

20221012_215406.jpg

Edited by ryzen5000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Great news everyone. Emby for Android 3.3.29 is available in the Amazon App Store.

Please try it out and report your experience. Thanks !