manual channel recording

Rianscott

Rianscott

I can finally enter a channel when entering a manual recording but now it just sets the channel as "root" and never executes the recording. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

image.png.175c55e03556c8faa1cd94813fb60b5e.png

Rianscott

When making a manual recording, completing the form for title, channel, start time finish time. The recording is set up but the channel name is named "root" as displayed in the image below. This recording never takes place and once completed disappears from the list.

attached the files that appeared in the logs when I just demonstrated this. Is that what you need ?

CustomProvider-FETCHER.txt CustomProvider-METADATA-LOG.txt embyserver.txt

Hi, try removing those two custom provider plugins. Then restart the server and try again. Please see if that helps. Thanks.

Maybe try a different channel and/or removing your channels entirely from emby server, refreshing the guide, and then adding them back. There may have been damage done by those custom provider plugins.

Rianscott

a regular recording from the guide works. The only visual difference is that an epg recording names the channel underneath whereas the manual recording just says root. I've tried many channels with the same error. I'll try removing the channels, how do I do that? do I delete the source, refresh the guide and then add the source and refresh the guide?

15 minutes ago, Rianscott said:

a regular recording from the guide works. The only visual difference is that an epg recording names the channel underneath whereas the manual recording just says root. I've tried many channels with the same error. I'll try removing the channels, how do I do that? do I delete the source, refresh the guide and then add the source and refresh the guide?

Delete the source and guide data entries, refresh the guide and make sure to let it finish before adding a new one. Thanks.

OK there's something still very wrong going on in your server log. Any chance you can spin up a portable install and see how that compares? You can download it from here:

https://emby.media/windows-server.html

Then unzip to some other folder (don't overwrite your current server install). Shut down your current server and then run the portable one by double clicking embyserver.exe. 

Thanks.

Hi, unfortunately I'm just not sure because I don't know what was done to cause that. On the old install you could try renaming the library.db file and then run library scans and guide data refreshes after starting up the server. 

Rianscott

So I tried deleting the library db and that didn't change anything so I uninstalled, cleaned and fresh install , setup  but it still fails? the portable version works but the fresh install now says "media folders" under the recording but doesn't actually record anything. You wouldn't believe it!

embyserverFreshInstall.txt

What did you do differently with the fresh install compared to the portable? The results between the two should he identical.

Hi,

\\DARKPONY\usbshare4 was reported as not being available in your logs.
Does D:\TV have both read and write permissions for the user running Emby Server?

What do you have setup for path to record to in Live TV Setup (Advanced Tab)?

Can you elaborate a bit on what the CustomProviders you're using are?
What's the actual source of these channels?

@Luke any idea why his is getting an error "Unable to cast object of type"

2022-10-05 22:38:13.599 Error LiveTV: Error recording to D:\TV\cbeebiestest\cbeebiestest 2022_10_05_22_38_00.ts
    *** Error Report ***
    Version: 4.7.8.0
    Command line: C:\Users\ian\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
    Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.19044
    Framework: .NET 6.0.9
    OS/Process: x64/x64
    Runtime: C:/Users/ian/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
    Processor count: 8
    Data path: C:\Users\ian\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
    Application path: C:\Users\ian\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
    System.InvalidCastException: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.AggregateFolder' to type 'MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.IHasMediaSources'.
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.GetStaticMediaSources(BaseItem item, Boolean enableAlternateMediaSources, Boolean enablePathSubstitution, LibraryOptions libraryOptions, User user)
       at Emby.Server.Implementations.Library.MediaSourceManager.GetPlayackMediaSources(BaseItem item, User user, Boolean allowMediaProbe, String probeMediaSourceId, Boolean enablePathSubstitution, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
       at Emby.LiveTV.EmbyTV.RecordStream(TimerInfo timer, DateTimeOffset recordingEndDate, ActiveRecordingInfo activeRecordingInfo)
    Source: System.Private.CoreLib
    TargetSite: System.Object ChkCast_Helper(Void*, System.Object)

Rianscott

I didn't do anything differently. I installed both, changed the recording path, installed HDHOMERUN tuner, added EPG and tested. I have just tried the portable version again and I can confirm that works and the regular fresh install doesn't.

\\DARKPONY\usbshare4 was reported as not being available in your logs.
Does D:\TV have both read and write permissions for the user running Emby Server?

Yes it does. I can set a recording from the EPG and that works fine on both versions but manual recording doesn't work on the regular install

What do you have setup for path to record to in Live TV Setup (Advanced Tab)?

D:\TV on both versions

Can you elaborate a bit on what the CustomProviders you're using are?

I have no idea and I deleted the two plugins in the original install as Luke suggested. I think I may have installed them at one point because of wrong images displaying somewhere but haven't reinstalled them on either version because I can't remember what they were for. 
What's the actual source of these channels?
HDHOMERUN

Manual recordings had been working on the original install and then one day I started having problems with the channel not setting (

) After this was fixed, manual add a recording never worked again (Until the portable install)

Rianscott

The only difference I can spot is:

Fresh install: When adding the manual recording it appears in the schedule and says "media folders" underneath it. There it stays forever.

Portable: When adding the manual recording it appears in the schedule and says "whatever the channel name I have chosen" underneath it. it then instantly disappears from schedule, appears in recordings, and continues to record.

Rianscott

Will the portable version work the same as the regular install? Will it update and everything? I'm happy to use the portable version of there's no drawbacks.

Rianscott

actually, the portable version does have a different response to a manual recording but not a correct one.

When choosing a manual recording and selecting a specific channel it appears a different channel is recorded. I have checked they are mapped correctly and they work correctly when selecting and recording from the EPg But record the wrong channel when a manual recording is made. This is the portable version. The standard install still doesn't work at all.

embyserver portable.txt

On 10/9/2022 at 3:24 AM, Rianscott said:

Will the portable version work the same as the regular install? Will it update and everything? I'm happy to use the portable version of there's no drawbacks.

Yes it will.

8 hours ago, Rianscott said:

actually, the portable version does have a different response to a manual recording but not a correct one.

When choosing a manual recording and selecting a specific channel it appears a different channel is recorded. I have checked they are mapped correctly and they work correctly when selecting and recording from the EPg But record the wrong channel when a manual recording is made. This is the portable version. The standard install still doesn't work at all.

embyserver portable.txt 326.36 kB · 0 downloads

Maybe you selected that wrong channel mistakenly? I would try it again. I've not seen reports of this before. Thanks.