Direct Play

Ryan_Hembrook

Ryan_Hembrook

Is there away to to direct play on my roku 4k stick? On my phone watching the same content I can direct play. But, on roku It only transcodes. I am on the same network too. 

roaku

The dashboard and stats for nerds can tell you why your content needs to be transcoded.

Roku doesn't like ts containers, mpeg2 video, 5.1 aac, etc...

Ryan_Hembrook

It said it was trancoding because the quality it was set as. I changed that now it says direct stream. Is there any other settings I should change?

roaku

Directstream means it's no longer transcoding the video at least.

There's probably still a container, audio, or subtitle incompatibility preventing Directplay.

The dashboard and stats for nerds should still provide the reason.

Happy2Play

This can happen on Auto quality.  You can adjust to a value in app settings.  Press star key from Home screen and look at playback quality.

But server/ffmep logs would provide more information.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

roaku
Just now, Ryan_Hembrook said:

Is there containers that roku likes? For video codec I have h264,Avc. 

Roku handles mkv and mp4 containers well, but it depends to some degree on what's in the containers.

Here are the details:

https://developer.roku.com/docs/specs/media/streaming-specifications.md

roaku
1 minute ago, Ryan_Hembrook said:

Reason for transcoding: Converting to compatible container

You can use mkvtoolnix to switch containers to mkv without reencoding the video.

But, direct streaming is a lot less intensive than video transcoding, so you could also just leave it to direct stream.

roaku
Just now, Ryan_Hembrook said:

I am trying to direct play live tv.

I don't think there's any other way around the ts container of the broadcast, except the real time repackaging Emby's already doing for your Roku.

roaku

Wait, there is a setting in the Emby Roku app itself to allow direct play of live tv. Try enabling that.

I believe the downside is losing the ability to time seek.

Edited by roaku

roaku
3 minutes ago, Ryan_Hembrook said:

Do you know where the setting is?

It's under the settings gear icon -> Playback -> (scroll down) Allow direct streaming of live streams.

Ryan_Hembrook

Do you know if that setting is for the stick or the ultra? I can't find the playback setting. I enabled that on the emby app

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Hembrook said:

Do you know if that setting is for the stick or the ultra? I can't find the playback setting. I enabled that on the emby app

For starters, you never need to enable direct play in order to achieve that. Emby will already direct play whenever possible.

What you want to do is look at the stats feature in the video player to learn why it is transcoding, and then once you know that information, then you go from there in terms of figuring out how to avoid it.

If you want to do that and then provide us the details of that example, we'll walk you through one.

Hi.  Live TV will always need to be re-packaged for consumption by the Roku player but, as mentioned previously, this should put very little strain on your server and not cause any problems.

The Apple TV also has limited container support natively and we are working on trying to expand that but that would not improve your situation.

What, exactly, is the problem  you are having with the Roku?  If you didn't look at the playback method?  What would be wrong?