Chromecast integration working badly since latest updates

wordlover

wordlover

Chromecast is now almost unusable with Emby since the last server and Android app updates. I carefully tested every variable to help debug. For the developers:

- Logs attached

- Same problems with trying to cast different video files

- Same problems when Chromecasting from both Pixel 5 phone and Samsung Tab A tablet

- Server version 4.7.8.0 on Windows 10 machine

- Android app version 3.2.77 running on both devices

- I rebooted every device and program in the chain multiple times: router (TP-Link), Emby server, Emby android apps, Chromecast device. I had nothing else running on any device in the chain from Emby to router to either Android device to Chromecast.

- None of these problems occur when using Chromecast with Vimeo, YouTube, or Kanopy apps running on both the same Android devices.

- None of these problems occur when viewing a video directly on either Android device (i.e. not Chromecasting).

In summary, Emby isn't working well with Chromecast. The problems:

1. Horribly stuttering playback of video when Chromecasting, with long pauses before stream resumes, which happens when casting from either device but does NOT occur when viewing video directly on the device.

2. Playback timeline updates choppily: 7:06, long pause, 7:11, long pause, 7:35, etc.

3. Emby app's connection to Chromecast completely disappears, intermittently and unpredictably. Sometimes when just turning the Android screen off and then back on a minute later, other times after clicking to a prior screen (Series homepage, Emby Home, or elsewhere) and then back to the episode playback control page. Clicking once again on the square Chromecast icon in the top corner sometimes reconnects but often does not, even after multiple attempts.

4. Weirdly, sometimes when there is no apparent Emby-Chromecast connection (even after multiple attempts), adjusting the volume in the Emby app on the Android device is then reflected on the TV through the Chromecast device.  

5. Again, none of these problems occur when casting from YouTube, Vimeo or Kanopy, identical problems occur when attempting to cast from two different Android devices, and none occur when viewing directly on either device.

Please see top of this post for info on all other comparisons and debugging attempts. What is broken, and how can this be fixed, since Chromecasting is the only way many of us view video using Emby?

embyserver_20221003.txt

embyserver_20221003_ffmpeg-remux-49925f54-76c7-47b6-9086-9da2b2bfef65_1.txt

Screenshot_20221002-224944-01.thumb.jpeg.6ea5f32a6c6c8a15d57151e43c0fb25c.jpeg

Hi, one thing you can try before playing is lowering the chromecast quality option. That's something that can usually help with things like stuttering problems.

wordlover

This is new behavior. Never had stuttering ever before, and these are not 1080 files. And the larger problem of Emby-Chromecast connection exists regardless.

wordlover

Yes @Luke - after rebooting every device yet again, the stuttering is now only intermittent, but the connection to Chromecast remains bad. (Is this controlled by server or app?) Dropped connections almost invariably happen, so the video program keeps playing on TV (via Chromecast dongle) but in the the app the timeline stops advancing, and "pause" or "stop" don't work until I once again click the Chromecast icon and reconnect what became a lost connection. I have tested with Hoopla, Kanopy, Vimeo, and YouTube, and none of these other video playback apps are having any trouble staying connected to Chromecast device, only Emby.

(Is this controlled by server or app?)

The chromecast receiver connects directly to your server. The casting app is not involved with that. The only thing the casting app does is send instructions, e.g. play this file, and course it also displays now playing info.

wordlover

Thanks. The problem then seems to be with the latest server release. To be honest, in the past there were occasional glitches in Chromecast connectivity, but with this latest server release (Windows 10) it is consistently not working. 

wordlover

@Luke I am now far beyond frustrated with Emby's current Chromecast integration. I just bought a brand new Chromecast HD to try to see if these problems stem from something other than Emby, but Emby won't connect to it at all. Every other app with Chromecast capability connects instantly to my Chromecast 2 device: Hoopla, Kanopy, Vimeo, and of course all the Google apps. Something is broken with the latest Emby server's Chromecast integration. I literally get nothing but a black TV screen now, while the Emby app on my handheld device shows the rotating circle endlessly and then the attempted connection bombs out. See below:

Screenshot_20221007-203128.thumb.png.3b48827b6c82c55eb9e14c52e2eabd71.png

Screenshot_20221007-203114.thumb.png.e477e0a67bec02ffd1f68e4f4058caad.png

And the app doesn't connect to Chromecast from either Pixel 5 or Samsung tablet. So I tried using web interface, where bizarrely, it doesn't show either of the Chromecast devices even as options to connect to, whether using Web interface from either device or from laptop, just the two Android devices!

I am trying to be polite and patient but Emby literally is non-working at its core function of casting video content via Chromecast. Please help.

Edited by wordlover

visproduction

I suspect Chromecast update security settings.  In my opionion the streaming industry prefers to block out any unrecognized service and justify doing this for security.   VImeo, Kanopy and Youtube work but anything unrecognized is limited or blocked.

Chromecast updates all the time and there was a security fix in Septemeber '22 that probably rolled out in October.  It's always best to check which firmware, software or network service actually updated when the problem started.  That way you don't waste time looking at the wrong app or service to find an answer.

I've seen this streaming data limitation called isolation.  I did not find steps to adjust Chromecast isolation, but I did find this step to trouble shoot to see if Chromecast update has something to do with your issue.

https://www.googlenestcommunity.com/t5/Chromecast/Chromecast-thinks-ap-isolation-is-active-but-it-s-not/m-p/35483#M3683

User: Ashepherdson posted this

I would actually turn off your wifi security, and see if you can connect to your wifi that way.  If that works, then out your wifi security back on, and make sure it's wpa2 and AES encryption.  

Another thing it could be is the router is blocking the Chromecast with some sort of firewall, that may be visible in your routers logs.  A factory reset of the router might be an idea to try as well.