Does Emby Theater for Windows do transcoding on PC?

clessy

clessy

Hello,

I installed the current Emby Theater version on my sister's small HTPC with an AMD A8 processor and Windows 10. This PC is remotely connected to my Emby Server (4.7.6.0) on Synology DS1819+.

I've searched this sub-forum but haven't found a clear answer to my question.

When the HTPC plays a file, does the transcoding happen on the Synology or on the HTPC? My upload line has 10 Mbit. So far I have limited the streaming rate to 8 Mbit as long as my sister was watching via Emby for Android TV.
Now the change from TV to HTPC took place due to playback problems.

Can it be set up so that the HTPC only downloads the media (with an appropriate buffer) and then transcodes it via the PC processor?

Many Thanks.

Cheesegeezer

Transcoding occurs on the server side not client side as i believe it. Let me ask some gurus for you…

@FrostByte @rbjtech

can you fellas confirm this please

Our emby theater desktop app can direct play just about anything without transcoding so you wouldn't have to worry about that too much anyway.

• Like 1

clessy
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Our emby theater desktop app can direct play just about anything without transcoding so you wouldn't have to worry about that too much anyway.

Thanks for reply.

And is this also true when Emby Theater is connected via Remote Access?

generiq
3 hours ago, clessy said:

Thanks for reply.

And is this also true when Emby Theater is connected via Remote Access?

Just about the only reason that server transcoding would be necessary when using Theater, is if the network bandwidth doesn't support the media bandwidth.