Emby unnecessary maxes out bandwith usage

Marcus1305

Marcus1305
Marcus1305

A little bit, there are still huge spikes that cause lagging, especially fast forwarding and rewinding. It seems like for some reason Emby needs more than 100mbps for smooth fast forwarding and rewinding. Kodi is working flawlessly with the same files never maxes out bandwith. 

Marcus1305

I think one of the reasons for this is when you press fast forward/rewind button on Emby it instantly jumps forward and when you try to fast forward longer period by pressing the button several times it will freeze because it will rewind 30 seconds several times instead of first calculating the number of presses and then rewinding like Kodi(which even makes it easier by making rewinds bigger with every button press). Only way to bypass this is to use chapters to rewind. This change would make it a little bit smoother.

FrostByte

Is it remuxing or transcoding also?   I haven't noticed any problems myself and all my stuff direct plays.

The devs may need logs though.

Hi, can you please let us know what model TV and the app and server version? 

Your OS version and basic hardware/network config would also help.  For example, are the files on a NAS, or local PC, etc.

Thanks

Marcus1305
4 hours ago, FrostByte said:

Is it remuxing or transcoding also?   I haven't noticed any problems myself and all my stuff direct plays.

The devs may need logs though.

Direct play no transcoding

• Like 1

Marcus1305
4 hours ago, SamES said:

Hi, can you please let us know what model TV and the app and server version? 

Your OS version and basic hardware/network config would also help.  For example, are the files on a NAS, or local PC, etc.

Thanks

Samsung Q70R , 1.4.1 app version. 

Windows 10, files are on local pc. The problem is with Emby Samsung app, it's very demanding and inefficient causing high bandwith usage. When I was connected to the wifi 5ghz, it was much smoother but using 200+ mbps of bandwith for rewinding which is too much. I don't know what's causing that spikes. Also as I mentioned you can't rewind larger period because it will rewind every time you press the button, no delay for potentially more presses. And that's causing heavy lagging when you try to rewind multiple times. Only way to bypass it is with chapters.

Marcus1305

I can't connect it to the router now because it's little bit too far and signal is not good enough on 5ghz

Edited by Marcus1305

4 hours ago, Marcus1305 said:

Samsung Q70R , 1.4.1 app version. 

Also as I mentioned you can't rewind larger period because it will rewind every time you press the button, no delay for potentially more presses. And that's causing heavy lagging when you try to rewind multiple times. Only way to bypass it is with chapters.

This doesn't sound right if you are using 1.4.1 You should be able to press FF/REW multiple times in succession and when you press enter or stop pressing for a second or two then it will jump to the location.  Have your tried multiple quick presses?

If you are having long buffering/lagging then this is possible server or network performance or issues,

Can we work though one specific example with the media info and server log for playback?  Thanks

Marcus1305

I will try to provide example in the following days. It is network performance issue because 100mbps is not enough for smooth playback for some reason. When I press ff/rew quickly multiple times it will max out 100mbps bandwith for several seconds. 

Edited by Marcus1305

Marcus1305

I was doing some testing on an Android phone connected to the 5ghz wifi,. Any movie I play in the first few seconds regardless of the bitrate Emby for some reason starts to nearly maximize the bandwidth which in this case is around 300mbps and then it drops significantly to normal value, it looks like Emby downloads large part at the beginning. FF/rew will always make Emby maximize the bandwith and only with 5ghz wifi or gigabit ethernet it will be smooth.

Edited by Marcus1305

SamES

It’s not really Emby doing this. That’s how all the media players work. They try and buffer some content to ensure they can handle any small network disruptions 

Marcus1305

I know but it's little bit too much and inefficient in my opinion. Kodi doesn't have such huge spikes when ff/rewinding. Those spikes on 100mbps network are making lag I was referring to

Edited by Marcus1305