Camera Upload Permissions

ITGuy1024
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ITGuy1024

Hi,

I have Camera Upload enabled on my server. For my username "Scott" the images have been uploaded. From the home screen I can see the Camera Uploads folder (it created like 7 of them but I guess that's a known issue still).

When I log in with another user "Kelly" she can also see the images uploaded under the Scott user. 

Is there any that the users can only see their own images and not all images on the server?

• Solution

Hi, not currently, but this kind of server level control is planned for future updates. Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
CaseyP

I'm not sure if this was ever addressed but I did find a workaround of sorts.

The camera upload feature lets you set each device to upload to their own folder in the root of the folder that has all the Camera Uploads.

(this is the user permission problem the OP is describing)

So to solve this, create a new Library for Home Videos and Photos and add the folder of each device to the library, not the parent/root Camera Upload folder.

Then go to the User management area, and remove access of the "Camera Uploads" library from each user, then add ONLY the folder for the device the user has to their access from the Home Videos and Photos library you created in the previous step.

For instance, Tony has an iPhone, James has an Android. Tony's account has access to J:/photos/iPhone, but does not have access to J:/photos/Android which would have James' photos.

Edited by CaseyP

Hi, yes the 4.8 server has a new user permission for this.

CaseyP
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes the 4.8 server has a new user permission for this.

What does this mean?

I haven't seen any option on 4.8 that separates user phone uploads into their user accounts. The default behavior is: the server puts all uploads from all users into the same library that is accessible to all users that has access to that library.

Where would the option in 4.8 be that would allow two different users to upload photos and keep them private from each other?

1 hour ago, CaseyP said:

What does this mean?

I haven't seen any option on 4.8 that separates user phone uploads into their user accounts. The default behavior is: the server puts all uploads from all users into the same library that is accessible to all users that has access to that library.

Where would the option in 4.8 be that would allow two different users to upload photos and keep them private from each other?

Can you use library subfolder access to manage that?

CaseyP
10 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you use library subfolder access to manage that?

Not in the default way camera upload works - the camera upload library would have the folder for camera uploads: J:/Photos. Then inside that is a folder for each device. But the library itself has that original root folder as a source.

So you can go to user access and remove the device not for that user, but because the root folder is there, J:/Photos, it will still show the other persons photos. If you remove the access to the root folder, it will show no photos at all, even though youve given access to the device folder inside of the root folder. 

So.. I made a new library, pointed to only the device folders and gave access to individual users that way. The default "camera upload" library becomes a shell of a library basically as its only there for a place to have emby put photos.

Sorry, this is hard to explain.

Hi, there is an option in camera upload settings to create a subfolder for each device. Once you have that, then you could use library subfolder access.

CaseyP
59 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, there is an option in camera upload settings to create a subfolder for each device. Once you have that, then you could use library subfolder access.

Yes. I am using that.
The Camera Upload library that emby creates has three folders to it:

J:/Photos/ (This is the default/root folder for ALL users to upload to.. when device option is enabled there will be folders for each devices you have to add..)
J:/Photos/AndroidPhone/
J:/Photos/iPhone/

The problem is if you remove user access to the first folder, the root folder, even if you have the AndroidPhone or iPhone folder access enabled, the user sees nothing.
Enabling the root folder means that user sees every device's photos.

The workaround, as I stated, was to make a whole new library, adding only the device folders and configuring the user access to match.

I know photos isnt a widely used feature, but it is clearly not working as intended. Im merely providing a workaround to get it as such.

EDIT: Deleting the first source that emby makes, the root source crashed the server but on restart the root folder is no longer listed in the camera upload library and user access does work, even though it shows the root folder on that screen. Oh well, its working for me but definitely not in the way I think it was intended

Edited by CaseyP

OK right I see what you mean. We can think about ways of accommodating this.