Can TV Box (Emby Server) encode 4k h.265 for old ipads?

jang430
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

I see lots of SBCs such as Pine64, Khadas VIM, they feature Rockchip RK3399, which, in their specs, say they can encode 4k h.265.  Some SBCs like Khadas provide Ubuntu.  But to buy this board, I still have to buy housing, power adaptor, storage.  

I'm wondering if buying an Android TV Box with same chip, will be able to:

1. I'm starting to see lots of 4k h.265 movies, to play it back on old ipads, will require encoding rather than decoding, so can these TV Boxes do the trick?  

2. Am I correct that there is an Emby Server for Android that can do this?

3. If TV Box cannot do it, can those SBCs be installed with Ubuntu, and do what I require?  

Why  isn't it considered encoding hevc?  I'll primarily be downloading 4k hevc, and watch it from android TV box.  But for tablets (which are old), it will require it be converted to a quality format that the tablets support.  Wouldn't this be considered encoding hevc, and serving it as h264?

3 hours ago, jang430 said:

Why  isn't it considered encoding hevc?  I'll primarily be downloading 4k hevc, and watch it from android TV box.  But for tablets (which are old), it will require it be converted to a quality format that the tablets support.  Wouldn't this be considered encoding hevc, and serving it as h264?

It will be decoding hevc and converting to h264 (encoding).

• Like 1