Emby stopped working on Qnap NAS due to missing digital signature

muppets4
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

muppets4

Yesterday there was a firmware update. After that, Emby server closes with the following error: "[App center] Emby Server has an invalid digital signature. The app has stopped and cannot be installed on QTS. You can remove it in the app center"

So I can't use Emby anymore. Are there plans for a quick update?. I am on QTS 5.0.1.2145

• Agree 1

• Solution

@muppets4 you need to make sure to do this:

Before installing Emby on QNAP, you must have "Allow installation and execution of applications without a digital signature" selected and applied on the QNAP server at this location: App Center / Settings [gear wheel] / General. (This will produce a warning.) You must leave this setting on in order to avoid having Emby Server app shut down every day or so by the QNAP system (which would then require a manual restart of the Emby Server app).

Also some QNAP firmware updates will reset the setting back so just keep that in mind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JERRY1 said:

Something has change, the shutdown is more frequent like now it's shutting down Emby in less than 5 minutes

Have you checked the setting in QNAP options?

jorr@entofga.com

Luke, you may have answered this but I cannot find it but WHY can't EMBY fix the "digital signature issue" permanently? Is QNAP trying to extort money from EMBY or are they trying to promote PLEX (who they "approve")?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

muppets4
On 9/21/2022 at 10:30 PM, Luke said:

@muppets4 you need to make sure to do this:

Also some QNAP firmware updates will reset the setting back so just keep that in mind.

I don't know why, but one of the updates must have reset this. Thanks! Emby seems to work good again.

jjspierx

I just upgraded to QTS 5.0.1.2145 today as well, and am having the same issue.  The QNAP setting for allowing installation of apps without digital signature did indeed get reverted back to disabled.  I re-enabled this  setting and rebooted and am still having the same issue.  Any ideas?  I am running Emby Server 4.6.2 (a little out dated I know) on a QNAP TS-251A running QTS 5.0.1.2145 firmware.

Edited by jjspierx

jjspierx
8 minutes ago, jjspierx said:

I just upgraded to QTS 5.0.1.2145 today as well, and am having the same issue.  The QNAP setting for allowing installation of apps without digital signature did indeed get reverted back to disabled.  I re-enabled this  setting and rebooted and am still having the same issue.  Any ideas?  I am running Emby Server 4.6.2 (a little out dated I know) on a QNAP TS-251A running QTS 5.0.1.2145 firmware.

Well...I upgraded to Emby 4.7.6.0 and now it starts just fine.  So problem solved. If anybody else experiences Emby not starting after upgrading QTS firmware, and they have verified their QNAP is set to allow installation of on digitally signed apps, you might try upgrading Emby Server to the latest.

gillmacca01

I've had no problem with Emby starting on QTS 5.0.1.

I do wonder how a third party store can get digital signatures for the apps in their repository . e.g  www.qnapclub.eu

Edited by gillmacca01

jjspierx
12 minutes ago, gillmacca01 said:

I've had no problem with Emby starting on QTS 5.0.1.

I do wonder how a third party store can get digital signatures for the apps in their repository . e.g  www.qnapclub.eu

My guess is my issue was a combo of the new firmware, and over a year old version of Emby Server.

Edited by jjspierx

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2022 at 6:07 PM, jorr@entofga.com said:

Luke, you may have answered this but I cannot find it but WHY can't EMBY fix the "digital signature issue" permanently? Is QNAP trying to extort money from EMBY or are they trying to promote PLEX (who they "approve")?

I have made the same question in my mind. 

Why we have to every time be careful of this box under the settings please ? 

And what are you need in order to solve this issue ? ...in plex I have not this problem. 

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, denisj said:

I have made the same question in my mind. 

Why we have to every time be careful of this box under the settings please ? 

And what are you need in order to solve this issue ? ...in plex I have not this problem. 

Thanks 

Hi, unfortunately it seems that QNAP QTS updates reset this value and you end up having to do it again.